Gransnet forums

Chat

Did you, have you, would you change your surname?

(120 Posts)
trisher Thu 02-Jul-20 08:48:39

Most women my age changed their name when they married and so did I. When I got divorced I could have reclaimed my maiden name, but I didn't bother, although I do have a couple of friends who use it. I simply thought it would be best to have the same name as my DCs.
But these days a lot of women keep their name when they marry. So I wondered would you change if you were getting married today and if you were ever to divorce would you return to your single name?

Molli Fri 03-Jul-20 09:00:46

Got married young and took husbands name. Marriage failed but kept name. Met the man I have spent 23 years with. Got married 7 years ago but have kept my previous (married) surname. Everything is in that name. It was mainly for professional reasons. I respond to either name now and so does hubby respond to Mr Mollie. Only tricky thing is I received a cheque in my husbands name and couldn’t put it into my bank. I would have to change everything and I didn’t want to do that. Apart from a marriage certificate there is nothing to say we are married ie bills passports etc. SiL changed his surname on marriage to another name within his family as neither him or DD liked his then current surname. Think it caused some waves initially but 10 years on And now with children it’s just their family name. The name they chose would have died out and now with boys it will continue which is a bit of a win!

hicaz46 Fri 03-Jul-20 09:04:57

I would have liked to revert to my maiden name (which was Valentine), when I got divorced over 40 years ago, but didn’t as I had young children and felt it would be difficult if we had different surnames. If I thought then what I think now I would have changed. Times and opinions change.

Coco51 Fri 03-Jul-20 09:05:25

I changed my name back to maiden name after divorce and when they reached 18 DS and DD changed to it as well. I’m unlikely to marry again, but if I did I would consider a double barrel.

Coconut Fri 03-Jul-20 09:08:39

I didn’t like my maiden name, certainly did not want to retain my married name once I’d divorced him ... so legally changed my name to my beloved Nan's surname. So every time I say my name, I think of her ....

Chardy Fri 03-Jul-20 09:10:04

I reverted to my original surname a few years after I divorced when I changed teaching jobs. I didn't have any red tape as women changing their surnames is pretty common. Very few, if any, of my female divorced friends have.

Elijah Fri 03-Jul-20 09:12:11

I took my husbands name when I married, then when I divorced him I kept his name whilst the children were at school to save confusion. As soon as my youngest child left school I changed back to my maiden name, my youngest child (then 17) also changed his surname to mine (he had never seen his father so didn't feel a connection to his father). Then when my middle son got married he took his Wife's surname as her father had been like a father to him since he was a teenager. So out of three sons only one still bears his fathers surname!

1404kiwi Fri 03-Jul-20 09:21:59

I loved my maiden name but took my ex surname to make it easy with kids but as soon as I knew I was divorcing I changed my name back by Deed Poll and will always keep it even if I was to remarry. I love it always have done and always will.

Buttonjugs Fri 03-Jul-20 09:27:43

I changed my name back to my own name after both divorces. I recently changed to my mothers name when I found out what a deeply unpleasant person my father was, and that’s an understatement.

Davida1968 Fri 03-Jul-20 09:30:28

I've always kept my "maiden" name and I've been happily married to DH for well over thirty years. (It doesn't bother him one jot!) What surprises people is just how long ago I did this: it's much more common now.

Dyffryn Fri 03-Jul-20 09:38:48

I changed my name when I married my first husband. When I divorced I kept his name. When I remarried I kept my first husbands name just because I preferred that surname. My second husband wasn’t bothered by that in the slightest.

GuestCorrectly Fri 03-Jul-20 09:41:32

I retained my maiden name for work and used my husband’s surname for family matters after we had children, including my passport, by which time I never travelled abroad for work. Then, out of the blue I had to go to Germany on business and my secretary booked the flights. Got as far as the gate to board when bingo, it was revealed the names on my boarding card and passport didn’t correlate. Fortunately my driving licence (still in my maiden name) saved the day, although I then spent my whole time in Germany wondering if I’d be able to get back!

Aepgirl Fri 03-Jul-20 09:41:35

I considered changing my surname when I got divorced (knee jerk reaction) but when I wrote a list of all the organisations that would need to be told, and the cost of a new passport etc, I decided to keep my married name. Also, creepily, my maiden name is the same as my ex-husband’s girlfriend’s.

GeorgyGirl Fri 03-Jul-20 09:48:19

I have the old-fashioned view that when you marry, two become one, therefore share one surname, it just seems logical to me, especially if you marry in church and your father 'gives' you away, so you don't use his surname any more. I do know of professional women who use their maiden name for their profession and their married surname for everything else. What is the point of being married if you are going to share everything except a surname, especially when children come along, just having one family name. I don't care for the double-barrelled surname trend, but then, I am old-fashioned.

Alioop Fri 03-Jul-20 09:48:49

While waiting for my divorce to be finalised I had all the forms filled in, envelopes addressed ready to send off to get back to my maiden name. I had such a horrible marriage I didn't want to keep his surname. I've still a lot of friendships from way back and we always use our maiden names if we are speaking about each other rather than their married names when I think about it lol.

GreenGran78 Fri 03-Jul-20 10:15:37

EllanVannin I used to work with someone named Sidebotham. I remarked that she must have loved him to take on such a name. She replied that her maiden name was Shuflebottom! Out of the frying pan.........!

I never even considered keeping my maiden name when I married, 57 years ago. The idea of living with a man with different surnames! Oh, the scandal!

My DD married a Peruvian with a double-barrelled surname - the norm in Peru. She kept her maiden name. Her DD was given the first part of Dad’s surname.

quizqueen Fri 03-Jul-20 10:19:34

I couldn't wait to get rid of my maiden name because it was so awful so I'm glad that rule/tradition was in place years ago. I kept my married surname on divorce. One of daughters kept her maiden name on marriage and the children have her surname too as her husband's surname is not great. My other unmarried daughter gave her child the father's surname and, if they decide to get married, she will also take his name so she can have the same surname as her children. There doesn't seem to be any 'normal' nowadays.

Boolya Fri 03-Jul-20 10:24:30

I like the Israeli tradition where the new husband tags his new wife’s surname in front of his, so both have kind of met in the middle.

Theoddbird Fri 03-Jul-20 10:28:18

When I married I added husband's name to mine. It was rather long so eventually dropped his name. After 25 years we separated and divorced. I love the sir name I was born with. Even if I married again I would not change it. I don't understand the reasoning behind name changing anyway. You are not your husband's possession. Our children have my name as a middle name.

beebouncy Fri 03-Jul-20 10:30:28

Having been married and divorced twice . I kept married name the first time didn't want the kids to different .
Second time I wanted no reminder so changed to maiden name as soon as possible.
I am actually planning to get married again next year and hope to keep my name with him also using it .just feels right

grandmac Fri 03-Jul-20 10:46:39

My youngest daughter kept her maiden name when she married, and my older daughter wishes she had done the same. It is a foreign name, rather long and usually mispronounced, but they both like it’s meaning. The children of my younger daughter have their fathers surname and it doesn’t seem to have caused any problems.

GrammarGrandma Fri 03-Jul-20 10:47:32

I didn't change my namr on marriage in 1972. I am 75.

jaylucy Fri 03-Jul-20 10:51:43

I took my ex husband's surname when I married and kept it when we divorced , mainly because of my son - seen so many families where every member seems to have a different surname to the other!
Now I have had my married name for longer than my birth name, too much of a faff to change it back and never thought I was losing my identity taking a man's surname anyway - just think if it had been like when your parents married - the women not only lost their surname but their first name too when they became "Mrs Bert Bloggs"!

mrsgreenfingers56 Fri 03-Jul-20 10:51:44

I divorced and decided to take my mother's maiden name and felt so happy with that. Married name was very unusual and always spelling it so glad to get rid of it! My Grandparents name and felt keeping in the family, but didn't want to go back to my maiden name as felt I needed to move forward. When I remarried I refused to take my new husband's name as another complicated one!

Calendargirl Fri 03-Jul-20 10:54:28

I felt proud to be Mrs..... after marrying in 1972.
The thought of not taking his name never entered my head.

Don’t know what I would have called myself if we had divorced though.

A divorced friend still kept her married surname, as she wanted to have the same name as her children.

CarlyD7 Fri 03-Jul-20 10:55:03

I kept my original ("maiden") name for my professional purposes as all my qualifications were in that, but used my DH's name in our married life (only because I actually liked it better than mine, AND because my father's family were horrible and I didn't want to carry it on). A friend had the opposite issue - her husband's father left when he was very young and didn't support the children (they were very short of money and opportunities growing up) and was generally a terrible father, so when they had their children they gave them HER name instead. ( Strangely, his mother was not happy about it and continues to send them cards and presents addressed to His surname!)