Gransnet forums

Chat

Pubs and restaurants opening this weekend

(182 Posts)
Chewbacca Fri 03-Jul-20 09:39:16

A lot of pubs and restaurants are opening this weekend and I was wondering if anyone is looking forward to being able to have a drink or a meal out for the first time since lockdown? Our local neighbourhood Facebook group have just done a poll to see who will amongst the first to go and a surprisingly large amount of people (to me anyway) have confirmed that they can't wait! Personally, I wouldn't go anywhere near but are you looking forward to a return, even with all the special measures for social distancing that they're doing?

Estrellita Mon 31-Aug-20 11:41:37

I am writing my question here because I can't work out how I start a discussion. My friend's mother is coming over from Spain tomorrow for two weeks, and the friend wants me to go for dinner at her house and to meet her mother. AIBU to say that I would prefer not to go because her mother should be quarantining?

Alexa Tue 07-Jul-20 16:56:54

Someone said there has been a shortage of Marmite due to beer not being made?

willa45 Mon 06-Jul-20 12:01:50

The problem for pubs is that drunk people don't tend to do social distancing very well!

Teetime Mon 06-Jul-20 09:50:50

We went to Wetherspoons on Saturday lunchtime it was almost unrecognisable in a good way. Extremely clean, good distancing of tables, quiet, no children running about and smiling staff. We were asked to provide our contact details. when we went to a local garden centre cafe/restaurant the next day all was in good order but we weren't asked to for contact details. I have asked the local authority for clarification on this as we do live reasonably near to the Leicester lockdown area.

Lewie Mon 06-Jul-20 09:24:06

We never go to pubs to 'drink' preferring a glass of wine at home/in the garden, but we have several local gastro pubs and restaurants locally who have been delivering their restaurant food to us during the lockdown - so we have had the best of both worlds. Has nobody else been able to do that? smile

Franbern Sun 05-Jul-20 18:33:31

Hazbeen - sounds dreadful your local pub. But nothing to do with these new rules, it is just returning to what it has obviously been like for a long time. Surely, you and your neighbours can work with the police and get lots of pictures, and sound recotdings showing dates and times and then put in an opposition to the licencee continiung there.

Fortunately, most pubs are not like that. This afternoon, in the sunshine, it was nice to see people sitting outside local pubs with a drink and chatting to each other whilst they relaxed.

One of the larger barber shops locally, had long queues outside right along the pavement nearly all day yesterday (Saturday), went past early afternoon today, just two customers inside and nobody waiting. Things will settle down quite quickly.

HAZBEEN Sun 05-Jul-20 15:37:30

Rosalyn69, as I have said before I have every sympathy with those in the hospitality industry having been in it myself for a while but that doesnt mean it should be at the cost of other peoples sanity. Living near a "problem" pub can be a nightmare. Not able to open your windows for noise, hearing shouting, swearing fighting every night almost, not being able to use your garden, having drug dealers on your doorstep, having the garden used as a rubbish bin or even worse a toilet!
All I wanted was for some care to be taken and the guidelines enforced. This pub has been a problem for years and we all knew opening it again was going to be trouble so surely the police or local council could have monitored it better. gillybobs daughter should not have been afraid to be in her own home last night because a few irresponsible people felt the need to go a bit mad.
You say Rosalyn people have to earn a living and get back to normal, well this is my normal!

Rosalyn69 Sun 05-Jul-20 15:02:39

It is hard but places have to start opening and get back to some sort of normality. People have to earn a living.

JenniferEccles Sun 05-Jul-20 14:44:02

What a nightmare for you HAZBEEN
Sometimes I feel the police pursue easy targets like those innocently sitting on park benches or walking their dogs on deserted moors, as happened a few months ago.

Kate1949 Sun 05-Jul-20 14:11:51

I get the feeling that the police around here were just dropping in on random pubs. The pub we were at was quiet (it usually is) with no loud music or rowdiness.

HAZBEEN Sun 05-Jul-20 13:58:04

Well I wish the police had hung around here last night! There wasnt any large scale fighting at least outside but the noise from the beer garden was horrendous. It went on until 11.30pm in the garden then until about 12.30 outside, some people didnt seem to want go home! If I heard Happy Birthday sung off key (by the same voice) once I heard it 20 times!
The police were here earlier parked over the road but only stayed for about 10 minutes. While they were there all was quiet when they had gone up went the level.
I feel so sorry for my neighbour at the other end of the block. She is straight opposite the main door so had the queue going in and the noise coming out. But she did say the drug dealer who is normally outside her kitchen window was missing last night, so thats one good thing. There is quite a bit of mess though so hopefully someone will be out from the pub to clear it up but no sign so far.

Kate1949 Sun 05-Jul-20 09:55:59

Despite saying that it would be a while before we went to the pub, we ended up going last night. We went for a drive to keep the car ticking over and passed a pub where a couple of people we knew were sitting outside

We stopped to say hello and ended up having one drink. It was fine. We sat at separate tables. There weren't many people there. The outside tables had tall barriers between them, the staff wore visors. A police car pulled up and the officers came and checked everything and were happy.

It was lovely to be out.

JenniferEccles Sun 05-Jul-20 09:55:24

This is the point isn’t it sodapop

We went to a large Surrey town yesterday and it was worryingly quiet. We parked in a car park near the town which is normally impossible to get in by mid morning. The only queuing I saw was for TK Maxx.

I walked straight into House of Fraser and chatted to the assistant while I was paying for my new handbag. He said it had been a lot quieter than they had expected.

I do fear for the future of our town centres if too many people continue to feel too scared to go out.

sodapop Sun 05-Jul-20 09:32:52

I agree JenniferEccles life has to move on, there will always be some irresponsible people who spoil things.
Our children and grand children need a future with a working economy.

JenniferEccles Sun 05-Jul-20 09:08:09

It’s so difficult though isn’t it?
What’s the answer?
The hospitality industry can’t remain closed indefinitely because some people will drink too much and cause trouble .

Although I do feel so sorry for those who live near pubs where the management is obviously flouting the rules, life has to slowly get back to normal.

Although there were a few problems reported on the tv news last night, it does appear that the first day of opening wasn’t as bad as had been feared with thankfully the majority of people behaving.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 05-Jul-20 09:08:00

We went to a local gastropub for dinner last night, food was yummy, social distancing observed and we felt very comfortable and safe.

Charleygirl5 Sun 05-Jul-20 09:02:22

Which idiot decided a Saturday was the best day of the week to reopen pubs etc? It has never been the quietest evening. Not a brain in his head.

Alexa Sun 05-Jul-20 08:54:31

The police well knew there would be problems with drunk people misbehaving, And there were.

I have always been afraid of drunkenness and drunk people and it seems for good reason.

bikergran Sun 05-Jul-20 08:45:24

I hope that those that issue the licences take action against any public houses that have disobeyed the rules, obviously video/noise recordings would help to prove things.

suziewoozie Sat 04-Jul-20 23:41:27

In Nottinghamshire, several pubs have closed early and some people have been arrested. What’s the betting that tomorrow the police are criticised for being kill joys?

Mollygo Sat 04-Jul-20 22:55:27

What a nightmare if you live near a pub. I know owners are desperate to start earning but too much drink turns even sensible people stupid. Then add the fact that they’re celebrating the easing of lockdown down as if the virus has disappeared and you get what some of you are coping with.
We’re going out to the pub or to eat for quite a while yet.

JenniferEccles Sat 04-Jul-20 22:29:33

That’s dreadful gillybob

It’s definitely a good idea to video what’s going on as evidence.

Good for you for being firm with the manager.

These awful places openly ignoring legislation need to be hit hard and preferably shut down.

Why should neighbours have to endure blaring music and drunken behaviour on what could be a nightly occurrence.

Chewbacca Sat 04-Jul-20 20:54:54

Can you call 101 gillybob and ask for advice? Or video record any of the proceedings to show to your LA on Monday? They're clearly not adhering to the guidelines provided are they?

GagaJo Sat 04-Jul-20 20:27:21

Pub near me had a queue of at least 30 people. Some very suspect looking characters but also a few younger, far too overdressed couples.

Still, not complaining. It's silent. Which is a blessing.

gillybob Sat 04-Jul-20 20:16:24

Quick update . The pub opposite my DD has erected a huge gazebo ( it’s been a drizzly day here) and the benches have been pushed together to fit underneath . At 2pm the music started blasting so I slipped out of my DD’s back gate so he didn’t know where I had come from and went over calmly and asked for the manager. He came out all smiles and asked what department I was from . I said I wasn’t from any department I was just a very concerned member of the public . I think he thought he could run rings round me then . I asked him nicely to turn the music down and told him that I had licensing and the police on speed dial and if the volume of music rose by one decibel I wouldn’t hesitate to call . There are currently about 40 people congregating under the gazebo and the noise level is rising rapidly as it does when people are drunk . He has pulled a van in front of a very large BBQ ( as if you hide it from
View but we can see the smoke) I expect bottles and cans will be strewn all over later . I think this will be a long night .

I think the LA need a kick in the pants for allowing this to go on . angry