Gransnet forums

Chat

Lladro figurines and other things people used to buy

(128 Posts)
Freeandeasy Fri 03-Jul-20 17:27:42

When my friend was clearing out her mother’s house a few months ago before lock down she was amazed at some of the things her mother had collected over the years. Some were stashed away in cupboards that my friend didn’t even realise she had. My friend was saddened to find that a lot of the thing her mother had treasured- the tea sets displayed in cabinets etc. - were things she never used and things that nobody wanted any more. She couldn’t sell them on eBay or even give them away. Even some charity shops didn’t want them. My mum is the same. She has a display full of ‘good’ stuff that she never uses. I think that this is quite sad and a pity.

It reminded me of an ex-colleague who retired nearly 20 years ago. She invited me and some other colleagues to drinks and nibbles at her house. When I arrived I was astounded by the amount of ornaments/collectibles she had. Every single space in her moderately small semi was filled to the brim. She had glass cabinets full of Swarovski Crystal and shelves upon shelves of Lladro figurines. They were “ladies” if I recall at the time and they all had different names and it was the fashion to collect them. Different “ladies” came out every so often and some were even “limited edition”. Also, on the walls on the stairs leading up to her bedroom was a massive collection of country cottages. I have always been a minimalist and have never collected anything so I was amazed at the amount of stuff on display.

Coming back to Lladro, I guess it was the thing at the time to collect and to get the new “ladies” that came out every year. My mum is convinced they are worth a lot of money (she collected them too) but once, when I was visiting her at tea time, the television was on in the background. It was an old episode of “Cash in the Attic” and the lady was trying to raise some money for a conservatory. She was so upset when her treasured collection of Lladro was hardly worth what she had paid for them. The valuer lumped them all together at the auction and she was so disappointed to get so little for them. My mum couldn’t believe it either.

To get back to my ex-colleage. She is now in her early 80s and we still meet up from time to time as I sometimes take her shopping as her daughters live a long way off. She often invites me in and her house is exactly the same. I asked her one day if she got enjoyment from all of her “things”. She shrugged her shoulders and replied “not really, it was just something people did”. I found that sad. I believe you should only collect/keep things that totally bring you joy. The only thing I possibly “collect” are my Pandora charms. I never pay Pandora price and always get them from eBay. Some well meaning colleagues for my 60th birthday a couple of years ago got together and between them bought me a rose gold bracelet and three glitter ball charms - “because you don’t have a rose gold one!” The reason I didn’t was because I don’t like rose gold and didn’t want one! I suppose I could have maybe exchanged them but I didn’t want to - as I had built up my collection and didn’t any more. I genuinely appreciated the thought but sold them on eBay for £100. Of course, I didn’t tell them! I also remember my mum buying me a Swarovski Crystal hedgehog years ago. Remember them? They were usually animals and it was the thing to collect them years ago. It was a cute little thing with black eyes and stiff whiskers and my mum said when she gave it to me “you can start your own collection now!”

I suppose, like everything else, Pandora will go out of fashion eventually but I get genuine pleasure and joy every time I wear my bracelets. I have two - one with silver charms and a bangle with beads and have no intention of buying any more. Has anyone collected things over the years that they get genuine pleasure from or has anyone regretted collecting things just for the sake of it that now stay at the back of a cupboard? Just curious - as I said, I am a minimalist and my house contains no clutter. On the other hand, if your house is full of stuff you genuinely love, then that’s different. Horses for courses.

allule Sat 04-Jul-20 18:55:11

My husband collected old bottles for years...finding them, and buying them...but when we moved to a smaller house he quite unsentimentally ditched them all, except for the few which I argued for, as being special. I was very surprised.
However, if I ever suggest getting rid of any books....

Lizbethann55 Sat 04-Jul-20 17:41:08

I have figurines. All presents off my DH. When my DDs were born we got the figurine of the name. I have one which is very old and may be worth something but the more recent ones aren't. I also have a lot of Wedgewood glass animals which were very popular in the 1970s/80s. When I decide to get rid of them I will send them to auction. Easier than ebay and more profitable than a charity shop. I would love to be minimalist but am too sentimental.

PamelaJ1 Sat 04-Jul-20 17:14:52

For some reason we bought Waterford Crystal glasses. My parents had a cupboard full and I must have thought they were a necessity.
They are lovely and for years we only used them at Christmas and very special occasions. We didn’t even drink much then.
Now we ????? all the time and we use the glasses. We may as we’ll break them ourselves.

My DH loves going round second hand shops so I decided to collect fish to give me something to look for. I have some very pretty ones in glass, wood & amber. However everyone started to buy me fish for my birthday etc. and some of those were truly awful so I had to stop. I just announced that my collection was complete!

Candelle Sat 04-Jul-20 17:11:35

Good points Freeandeasy.

I am not a collector but am very 'soft' and just can't rid my house of many of my Mother's belongings, items she collected. They are in boxes in a bedroom.

My daughters have already told me that when my husband and I shuffle off this mortal coil, it'll be a skip in the driveway and the house will be cleared in no time!

Whilst I understand their point of view, it is sad that something that can mean so much to one person means absolutely nothing to others.

Retired65 Sat 04-Jul-20 17:09:41

I have a box of beanies that were popular a few years ago and I use to collect stamps as a child.

sodapop Sat 04-Jul-20 16:28:00

I remember the Eternal Beau china MerylStreep it was extremely popular.

Thanks to everyone who reminded me about the Lilliput Lane cottages. Lots of memories in this thread

Freeandeasy Sat 04-Jul-20 16:20:50

Susie42 and MerylStreep . Thanks for your replies and advice. I doubt I would get anything for my‘Eternal Beau’. I just want rid of it. After ten years or so I added bits to replace broken items and they weren’t the same quality, The newer items didn’t have the name “Johnson Brothers” and the colour and shape of the ‘Beau’ is a lot different. I checked out the website you mentioned Susie42 and they indicate that they DO buy “Johnson Brothers” Eternal Beau so it might be worth a try. I’m not holding my breath though! Next time something comes into the charity shop MerylStreep check for the name - if it’s there then it’s 40 years old, and might be worth a few pounds for the charity if you’re selling it as an original piece.

Herbie9 Sat 04-Jul-20 16:13:11

My late husband started collecting old children's illustrated books and later sci fi which he was very interested in and later joined a club. When he was 49 he suffered a severe illness and found consequently he couldn't get work so decided to sell books at Book Fairs and sometimes car boots. It was hard work and long hours but he loved it and kept on buying good quality books - it became an obsession. Now I'm left with thousands of books in our house - some in a study and bedroom and even in the utility and garage! There is a collection of beautiful art books, gardening and nature, war books to name a few. A lot has already goneto the Oxfam Book shop and the PDSA charity shop (not all charity shops want them) but I am hoping to sell a few as there must be some fairly valuable amongst them - but how long will it take? DH lovingly bought them all and it will be sad eventually to see them go but I want my house back! Anybody interested?

Deedaa Sat 04-Jul-20 16:03:54

My mother in law collected a large, fairly unattractive tea set. One piece at a time as a supermarket offer. It was only used for visitors. Fortunately she decided that when she died it would go to DH's cousin!

I have a large collection of Italian majolica. Cups, saucers, plates and a selection of jugs, tea pots and soup bowls. It's quite a rare pattern and seems to go for a high price in America. Over here it's just charity shop fodder and DS assures me that that is where it will end up!

sinc19747 Sat 04-Jul-20 15:58:18

have had my Lladro figures for some years...presents from husband. Sons attitude to them...when you go mum they are all going to landfill!!!! well, at least have been warned.

Kaggi60 Sat 04-Jul-20 15:28:25

I collect Ainsley was told no one wants it when I die and love paperweights so I have a cupboard full of them.

Patsy429 Sat 04-Jul-20 14:45:43

I collected thimbles and had over 600 of them, all properly displayed, most of them on the wall leading upstairs. But they were everywhere, some quite expensive at the time. Friends would bring me back a thimble from holiday (1) because they knew I collected them and (2) because they were cheap and easily transportable.

But we decorated recently and I thought, "No more." I tried to sell some on ebay but they were not really in demand, so I've given most of them to charity shops in little bundles. That's not exactly true - I still have about 300 left which must go!

MerylStreep Sat 04-Jul-20 14:41:59

Freeandeasy
I work in a charity shop. I can't tell you how much Eternal Beau ware has been dumped in the skip. People just don't want most of this china. To sell it has to be rare or very pretty.

Rowsie Sat 04-Jul-20 14:38:42

I used to collect Lladro but over the years I have sold some of it on and only have kept the ones that mean something to me. When my youngest grandson was little I used to buy him a snow globe from every country I visited. After his third snow globe he said "Thank you, Nanny, it is very nice but you do realise I am not collecting these, don't you?" No more snow globes then!

NoddingGanGan Sat 04-Jul-20 14:30:32

I have four dinner services, and my grandmothers tea service. Legacy of my marriage and having had two houses at one point.
I now live in much more modest circumstances and one of the dinner services, and the tea service, are packed away in a cupboard. I've tried to sell the dinner service but to no avail. It's Wedgewood but discontinued and very dated now (it's from the eighties). The, "best" dinner service is in the sideboard and hasn't been out for about 5 years so should probably think about getting rid of that too, together with a display cabinet stuffed with cut Waterford crystal.
I'm a hoarder though and I love pretty china and crystal.confused

Georgesgran Sat 04-Jul-20 13:40:04

This topic has brought back such memories. My MIL was a collector of Dalton Ladies and Old Country Roses stuff. Both my SIL and I hated it, so we tossed up and I won! She got it take it all!
One Christmas my Dad bought Mum the Capo di Monte tramp on a bench - it was huge and a couple of the fingers got knocked off, but it was very well repaired. Unfortunately after Mum died, Dad was burgled and the Capo stolen - he was happy to see it go, especially as the Insurance Company paid out as perfect and he got a new TV set and matching VCR.

I’m with greydusters OH - ornaments are just dust-catchers. X

eazybee Sat 04-Jul-20 13:38:37

I made a vow when I married that I would use my best Wedgwood bone china, and also the Royal Doulton I used to buy in the sales,(lived near the potteries) and I always have. It is actually extremely tough and has lasted well, just a few handles broken over fifty years.
Trouble is, I yearn for plane white china now.

maytime2 Sat 04-Jul-20 12:46:40

When I downsized last year I had 50 years of "stuff" to get rid off. I really had to harden my heart to get rid of it because it brought back memories of the people who had given them to me in the first place.
Most of it went to charity shops, but one china tea-set was given to the local hospital as they like to use such sets when dealing with patients' families when they have to impart bad news or when they are visiting their dying relatives. Another set was donated to a local Mother's Union group as they liked to use nice crockery for their coffee mornings.

Granjax33 Sat 04-Jul-20 12:40:50

I am finding these posts a great trip down memory lane and thank everyone. My Mum had 6 sisters and her Mother had the Doulton ladies displayed and named each one after a daughter!!

grandtanteJE65 Sat 04-Jul-20 12:36:37

Well, either we harden our hearts and throw these cherished collections out, as we don't want them, or we hang on to them in boxes, if we have room, and hope they will come back into fashion again, so we can sell them.

I don't see any other alternative, do you?

Susie42 Sat 04-Jul-20 12:32:56

@Freeandeasy

I sold a Doulton dinner service to a company called Chinasearch who sell to people wishing to replace missing items. I was paid more for the second hand stuff than I had originally.

Freeandeasy Sat 04-Jul-20 12:26:38

Thanks for all your replies - it’s fascinating to hear what people collect/have collected over the years. As well as Lladro, my mum has some Royal Doulton too, so interesting to hear that there still may be a market for it. I personally hate the stuff, but that’s just me.

When I said I don’t collect anything, I realise that I have a whole set of ‘Eternal Beau’ tableware, including milk jug etc.It’s packed away and I forgot I had it. There are loads on eBay but it doesn’t sell. I think you can still buy it (apparently there is. Japanese market for it?!) The new stuff is hallmarked but the originals have the name “Johnson Brothers - Staffordshire” which the newer versions don’t. I’d like to get rid of them but my OH is reluctant to part with them. I don’t know why as they’ve been packed away for 30 years. They are SO dated, but it was the fashion at the time and I used to receive pieces as gifts, like the cream and sugar jugs, and tea/coffee/ sugar canisters. I even had the casserole dish (not now, as it broke about 20 years ago!). It will sell on-line - I checked and there is a company who will send a courier for it but I think they have to be the originals which most of mine are.I just wish my OH would let them go. He says they will be an “heirloom” for my step daughters but I can’t see them wanting them. If they ARE worth a few.bob, I’d rather sell now and give them the money now for a little treat.

I think the idea of donating tea sets to a. vintage cafe is a great idea.

Susie42 Sat 04-Jul-20 12:23:40

Sadly one person's treasures are another person's junk. The only items I kept after both my mother and MIL died were things they had used when cooking which I still use and think of them.

SillyNanny321 Sat 04-Jul-20 12:19:24

Many years ago I collected Enchantica dragons. Then they cost a fair bit & looked as I imagined dragons would. Very strong, reptilian for me well worth what I paid for them. Then Enchantica changed & dragons were no longer fierce they became twee with bright colours very much seemed to be aimed at a younger/child market. So I stopped collecting Enchantica. I have a lot of other makes of dragon that are the more fierce type that I like. My Enchantica are in glass cabinets & treated gently. I treasure every one of them but what will happen to them when my son inherits them I have no idea. I still get pleasure from them but do not know of anyone else who has a collection of older Enchantica.

felice Sat 04-Jul-20 12:18:58

I arrived here with 2 suitcases, DD with 1, ex was supposed to pack everything up and send it on, he sold everything.
I vowed I would no longer collect anything but books. Looking around me after 25 years I have a lot of 'stuff'.
Problem is it is nearly all gifts from people I love, even some of my furniture was left to me in friends wills.
I have no idea what will happen to everything, SIL is a hoarder and still has a lot of his Mothers stuff in boxes in the storage rooms here so it may be here for a while.