Gransnet forums

Chat

Lladro figurines and other things people used to buy

(128 Posts)
Freeandeasy Fri 03-Jul-20 17:27:42

When my friend was clearing out her mother’s house a few months ago before lock down she was amazed at some of the things her mother had collected over the years. Some were stashed away in cupboards that my friend didn’t even realise she had. My friend was saddened to find that a lot of the thing her mother had treasured- the tea sets displayed in cabinets etc. - were things she never used and things that nobody wanted any more. She couldn’t sell them on eBay or even give them away. Even some charity shops didn’t want them. My mum is the same. She has a display full of ‘good’ stuff that she never uses. I think that this is quite sad and a pity.

It reminded me of an ex-colleague who retired nearly 20 years ago. She invited me and some other colleagues to drinks and nibbles at her house. When I arrived I was astounded by the amount of ornaments/collectibles she had. Every single space in her moderately small semi was filled to the brim. She had glass cabinets full of Swarovski Crystal and shelves upon shelves of Lladro figurines. They were “ladies” if I recall at the time and they all had different names and it was the fashion to collect them. Different “ladies” came out every so often and some were even “limited edition”. Also, on the walls on the stairs leading up to her bedroom was a massive collection of country cottages. I have always been a minimalist and have never collected anything so I was amazed at the amount of stuff on display.

Coming back to Lladro, I guess it was the thing at the time to collect and to get the new “ladies” that came out every year. My mum is convinced they are worth a lot of money (she collected them too) but once, when I was visiting her at tea time, the television was on in the background. It was an old episode of “Cash in the Attic” and the lady was trying to raise some money for a conservatory. She was so upset when her treasured collection of Lladro was hardly worth what she had paid for them. The valuer lumped them all together at the auction and she was so disappointed to get so little for them. My mum couldn’t believe it either.

To get back to my ex-colleage. She is now in her early 80s and we still meet up from time to time as I sometimes take her shopping as her daughters live a long way off. She often invites me in and her house is exactly the same. I asked her one day if she got enjoyment from all of her “things”. She shrugged her shoulders and replied “not really, it was just something people did”. I found that sad. I believe you should only collect/keep things that totally bring you joy. The only thing I possibly “collect” are my Pandora charms. I never pay Pandora price and always get them from eBay. Some well meaning colleagues for my 60th birthday a couple of years ago got together and between them bought me a rose gold bracelet and three glitter ball charms - “because you don’t have a rose gold one!” The reason I didn’t was because I don’t like rose gold and didn’t want one! I suppose I could have maybe exchanged them but I didn’t want to - as I had built up my collection and didn’t any more. I genuinely appreciated the thought but sold them on eBay for £100. Of course, I didn’t tell them! I also remember my mum buying me a Swarovski Crystal hedgehog years ago. Remember them? They were usually animals and it was the thing to collect them years ago. It was a cute little thing with black eyes and stiff whiskers and my mum said when she gave it to me “you can start your own collection now!”

I suppose, like everything else, Pandora will go out of fashion eventually but I get genuine pleasure and joy every time I wear my bracelets. I have two - one with silver charms and a bangle with beads and have no intention of buying any more. Has anyone collected things over the years that they get genuine pleasure from or has anyone regretted collecting things just for the sake of it that now stay at the back of a cupboard? Just curious - as I said, I am a minimalist and my house contains no clutter. On the other hand, if your house is full of stuff you genuinely love, then that’s different. Horses for courses.

FoghornLeghorn Mon 06-Jul-20 12:53:29

BTW, does your username come from having noisy chickens?

No! Never had chickens. I’m named after the cartoon character. ??

FoghornLeghorn Mon 06-Jul-20 12:51:28

Witzend

PS, I love the little evacuee.
An older friend of ours was evacuated to rural N Devon - however he was extremely lucky - he ended up in a farmhouse where 5 daughters spoilt this little boy rotten and he’d fall asleep cuddled up to one of their dogs by the fire.
He had such fond memories, he eventually retired to N Devon.

My Mum was sent to Hurstpierpoint, just outside Brighton. Every time my Nan and Granddad visited her they took half a dozen fresh eggs, none of which my Mum saw. The only thing she was given while she was there was scabies! My Granddad went down and fetched her home as she was so unhappy.

Witzend Mon 06-Jul-20 10:13:01

PS, I love the little evacuee.
An older friend of ours was evacuated to rural N Devon - however he was extremely lucky - he ended up in a farmhouse where 5 daughters spoilt this little boy rotten and he’d fall asleep cuddled up to one of their dogs by the fire.
He had such fond memories, he eventually retired to N Devon.

Witzend Mon 06-Jul-20 10:08:40

Having taken a lot of (to us) junk or just unwanted items to various charity shops, @FoghornLeghorn, one of them later informed us that our donations had sold for over £250!

We had to assume that that was down to 2 vases that had belonged to dh’s old aunt.
Still, we didn’t want them, so we were glad somebody did!

BTW, does your username come from having noisy chickens?

FoghornLeghorn Sun 05-Jul-20 15:10:33

sharon103

FoghornLeghorn Fri 03-Jul-20 20:30:4
Your mum's Girl evacuee is gorgeous.

I've just looked on ebay there is this one up for auction and another Buy it now for £136.50
I know you are keeping it but just to let you know the value. A boy evacuee is available to buy too.

Royal doulton figurine. The girl evacuee
Condition:Used
Time left:Time left:1 day 18 hours (06 Jul, 2020 17:07:20 BST)

£66.00
Reserve not met
3 bids
Enter your max. bid

Thanks Sharon. She is sweet. She lives on my bookcase in my study and each time I look at her I imagine my mum at ten years old being sent far from home, away from everyone she knew.

FoghornLeghorn Sun 05-Jul-20 15:08:20

You should never look up the value of items you’ve given to the charity shop! I’ve just Googled my Lladro Girl With Kitten and somebody paid just over £300 for one at auction. ?

Wishes Sun 05-Jul-20 10:58:00

Myth & Magic used to be my collection, pewter with crystals. An early piece 'Minotaur' I know would be worth something but my DD's friend dropped it and a piece broke off!
It is now much honed down with some of the off casts in a pretty box being used as a door stop. (they are quite heavy)

Years ago DH suggested a Pandora bracelet as a present for me. To him that would have solved his gift giving conundrums for the foreseeable. hmm Not being interested in that type of jewellery I politely declined knowing that is what I'd receive come every Christmas and birthday.

Lynda152 Sun 05-Jul-20 08:12:04

I’m quite minimalist and don’t like clutter. My Mum, Ivy, had various collections but I only kept a few things when she died. An ivy shaped brooch that I wear on her birthday and a wonky bowl that was her first creation in her beloved pottery classes. She was so proud of it and use it all the time - it currently holds a mask and hand gel ready for when I go out.
My MIL died recently and we are still sorting out her belongings. She had a collection of large, expensive Capidimonte figures, some with seats etc. I have no idea what to do with them, as we don’t like/want them (and I doubt many others would). Any suggestions would be more than welcome!

sharon103 Sat 04-Jul-20 23:31:30

I absolutely love anything from the Art Deco period.
I have bought all from Ebay, ornaments, photo frames, glasswear, wall plates, candle sticks, in each room I have bevelled- edge wall mirrors of different shapes. clocks, Trio's (cup, saucer and plate)
Art Deco really is my passion.
I used to have a collection of 1950's dolls and various Tiny Tears. I sold them last year.
I also had a collection of Clarice Cliff but sold them.
I have a good collection of 1950's/60's toffee and sweet tins. Mainly by Sharps and Bluebird, all with beautiful pictures on the lid. They remind me so much of when I was little. They're all boxed up and in the attic now but I can't ever get rid of them.

sharon103 Sat 04-Jul-20 22:56:36

FoghornLeghorn Fri 03-Jul-20 20:30:4
Your mum's Girl evacuee is gorgeous.

I've just looked on ebay there is this one up for auction and another Buy it now for £136.50
I know you are keeping it but just to let you know the value. A boy evacuee is available to buy too.

Royal doulton figurine. The girl evacuee
Condition:Used
Time left:Time left:1 day 18 hours (06 Jul, 2020 17:07:20 BST)

£66.00
Reserve not met
3 bids
Enter your max. bid

Rosina Sat 04-Jul-20 22:25:04

My passion is art - I can't resist a watercolour , and my OH is threatening to move as we need more walls. As for ornaments- they are just dust collectors. So many pieces of good quality china, glass etc. are now almost worthless as times have changed. I do have a beautiful old fashioned bone china tea set, but it's because I love it, and use it on special occasions. I don't want to leave too much for my children to have to sort out - they both have modern homes with very few items on show.

Anniepooh Sat 04-Jul-20 21:27:40

Meant to explain why I ended up with the stuff again. Mum used to "rescue" stuff before taking to the charity shop ?

Anniepooh Sat 04-Jul-20 21:25:50

Whenever I had a clearout, I used to let my mum look through the stuff, then she'd take it to the charity shop. When she died, I ended up with loads of the stuff back again andam finding it hard to get rid 7 years later. I used to collect everything under the sun, china thimbles, novelty teapots, china cows, blue and white china, anything celestial and china dolls! I now only have a handful of cows and teapots and have got rid of mostly everything else apart from the thimbles. They don't take up much room but I can't bring myself to give them to a charity shop. I'm drowning in a sea of "things"!!!

seacliff Sat 04-Jul-20 21:23:00

Oh dear, my sister still uses her Eternal Beau for best! I won't tell her about this thread. She likes it, it goes with her colour scheme, so fair enough.

When she was visiting us in Suffolk a couple of years ago, we went into a antique/junk shop. They were very pleased to find more pieces, casserole dishes etc to add t their collection. As the saying goes....one mans junk....

annsixty Sat 04-Jul-20 21:19:42

I have checked online this evening and just some of my crown derby paperweights are possibly worth nearly what I paid for them.
Some others not so.
I have loved and treasured them for many years so , to me ,they are priceless.
I just hope the family love them for what they are and aren’t anticipating a payout on them.

Auntieflo Sat 04-Jul-20 21:12:11

I still have my stamp albums! So I must be thinking that they will be full of rare ones ?

123kitty Sat 04-Jul-20 20:22:38

When my sister's and I were about 10 a box arrived at the house. Mum had bought the most beautiful tea set, it had a pattern of tiny blue forget-me-nots, it was her pride and joy, we often begged, but we're never allowed, to use the tea set. In fact it spent its life in its original box at the back of a cupboard. Mum died last year and finding her tea set, still wrapped in tissue in its original box was heart breaking. It's old fashioned and unwanted- what a sad waste. If you have something beautiful please use it, share it, enjoy it.

jenpax Sat 04-Jul-20 20:18:57

I think it’s sad that all the lovely old china and glass ware is no longer fashionable!
My mother and both grandmothers loved antiques, and I inherited a lovely Wedgwood dinner service, a beautiful canteen of silver cutlery, and a huge rosewood cabinet of crystal wine and spirit glasses. I gather that these are now worthless despite having cost a pretty penny back in the day and modern houses and life styles are not suited to the large pieces of furniture or massive dinner services our parents and grandparents treasured and which I also inherited.

Blondiescot Sat 04-Jul-20 20:15:28

My mother-in-law has quite a collection of Lladro figurines, which I suspect we might end up with at some point! I suspect she'd be very disappointed if she knew they're not worth much now - I'm sure she had them insured for quite a sum at one point.
I've got a beautiful Royal Doulton dinner service which we were given as a wedding present - 36 years ago! It's still packed in the wooden crate it came in and has never seen the light of day...

craftyone Sat 04-Jul-20 20:14:03

mmm, you have got me thinking. I recently bought myself denby regency green and I love it and love how well they wash and dry and handle and I use it and have enough for me and some spares for visitors. So I have some white dishes in a dining cupboard, jamie oliver and sophie conron. I just took them out, not used them in over a year. They can go, they are clutter

dolphindaisy Sat 04-Jul-20 19:58:26

I have a collection of Babycham glasses and baby deer. I think they are still worth something and one day I might get round to selling them. They are in a display case which I also want to get rid of but I need a more modern replacement to match the dinning room furniture.

jeapurs54 Sat 04-Jul-20 19:45:23

My Great Uncle was a collector of Lladro, he had a very large collection and bought it when travelling to Italy. I have just a couple of pieces that I love which are Clowns, but they will not go to my children as the Daughter cannot stand clowns and my son will not have ornaments. Perhaps my grandchildren may love them when the time comes.

Flakesdayout Sat 04-Jul-20 19:16:38

I used to collect the Ceramia witches, wizards and dragons. Quite expensive at the time and sold on a car boot sale for £5 each. I also had a collection of ladies, they went the same way. Tastes change. I do not collect as such now but have a few little pieces I like. When we cleared my Mums home after she died she had saved all of her cards from the time before she married my dad to most recent, even my first birthday cards. I still have them in the garage as I cannot part with them just yet. I keep thinking I may make a scrap book of the nice ones but who would want them when I am gone.

Chookmama Sat 04-Jul-20 19:15:38

My mum, who died 12 years ago, collected blue and white Wedgwood (Jasperware?) ornaments. We were grateful that it was always a good present if we couldn’t think of anything else! Unfortunately they are now in a box in my loft. We did ask everyone who came back to her house after the funeral if they would like to take something to remember her and got rid of a few of them, but I still have the rest. My brothers would have binned the lot and I guess my kids will do that when I pop my clogs. They’ll probably do the same with all my cat ornaments!!

oodles Sat 04-Jul-20 18:55:44

I used to look at the little models of animals that jewellers sold, birds, dogs etc and really fancied buying some but never did, probably a good idea, I liked looking at the cottages but never tempted to get any. Never really fancied the doulton ladies have a friend who did collect them though. I do have some kickbacks, I quite like portmerion based etc and have a few bits that remind me of the children and lost loved ones. Pictures and books yes, and things that have a history connected to my origins .
Cath kidston stuff is still collected by people, who pay quite a bit for out of production stuff or hard to get hold of things, if anyone has that sort of stuff there are selling groups on facebook.