Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Saturday

(52 Posts)
12Michael Sat 04-Jul-20 06:13:22

Good Morning Everyone,
It looking dull out there windy but dry at the moment here in Brackley .
Venture out today to Buckingham and Bicester to see what situation is with cafes i frequent in the towns .
I had some disappointing news yesterday as to my planned Warmers to Nidd Hall at Harrogate and a one night mystery have both been cancelled think one problem is seating on the coaches and you do not want 2 coaches for say 30 passengers .
On a email thing I am on as to the beer scene , it looks like Spoons pubs will have security on the doors ,and maybe other larger pub groups as to customer control .
Queuing from today will be different ,and in some cases put many off with that 1st day back rush .
Take Care ,
Mick

Gingster Sat 04-Jul-20 17:16:54

My earlier post thanking you all for cherry tips has disappeared, so once again, thanks for all your advice. ?

Georgesgran Sat 04-Jul-20 13:56:41

Good afternoon from Durham. After a wet start it’s overcast, but very warm.
DH is feeling better day by day, so we’ve been out to feed the ducks at DLI - his first walk in months, so rewarded by a bacon sandwich at home.

DLI is a closed down museum built specially to house memorabilia of the Durham Light Infantry, so now we are apparently the only place in England where a local regiment doesn’t have a place to display such ‘treasures’. It’s stuck in boxes and cupboards in a local council office - I hope the collection of VCs is somewhere safer though.

The site is adjacent to the County Council HQ and grounds - all designated to be demolished and sold to the highest bidder to construct (very expensive) homes, that locals won’t be able to afford.

Rant over - hope those who are able to enjoy a peaceful day and sending best wishes to those who feel ‘under the weather’ X

EllanVannin Sat 04-Jul-20 13:19:47

Just read Gillybob's post and thought what a rotten prospect for her DD besides it being a worry as well. How disgraceful is it that members of the public have to put up with the behaviours of uncouth yobs ?. It's bad enough without the drink when/if they're around but after guzzling down half the brewery it's 10 times worse.

No wonder your DD is anxious and thinking about little Evie as well, it just isn't fair. I won't say what my late H would have said ! Let's hope there's a few " big " men around to give them all a thick ear and chase them. I'll be hoping that nothing breaks out xx

Urmstongran Sat 04-Jul-20 12:51:06

Sun’s out here! ???
Did someone mention Pantglas had arrived? ?

Purplepixie Sat 04-Jul-20 11:45:52

Good morning from a grey, wet and windy East Midlands.

No big plans for today with maybe a bit of baking this afternoon and fish fingers and chips for tea tonight.

Sending love and hugs to you all.

CherryCezzy Sat 04-Jul-20 11:41:43

Good morning everybody from a distinctly wet Gower where the rain hasn't stopped for 24 hours ?

I want to thank all of you who have sent me well wishes ?, it means a lot. A couple more days and I should recover completely and I hope the weather does too, in time for my birthday next week ?

It's so lovely to hear that many of you are now seeing family and are able to hug them and especially the grandchildren ?. Have a wonderful weekend in the arms, warmth and comfort only loved ones can bring ☀️

Gingster, you could steam the cherries for a few minutes (not too many) and then the stones are easy to pop out. You could make cherry butter with them, which is delicious with Mediterranean and Morrocan breads, a very small knob of the butter is also useful to sear ingredients for Turkish and Morrocan stews and casseroles. Alternatively you could pass them in my direction ?

Special thoughts and wishes for Marydoll, harrigran, Lins, Maw and BlueSapphire ?????.
Sorry if I've missed anyone else who is going through trials and tribulations at the moment, ? for you all.

Take extra care those of you venturing to cafes, restaurants and bars.

A quiet day for me again today, until I firmly attach my Tigger tail ?

Stay safe and be kind to yourselves everyone ❤️

EllanVannin Sat 04-Jul-20 10:12:54

Good Morning All x
Dull but pretty calm of which I'm always wary of----calm before the storm when you live near the sea. Perhaps it'll be strong enough to blow away this Atlantic weather back where it came from because I don't like it.

I love reading about what everyone is up to and I hope arrangements and the day goes well for those venturing out and about.

Weekends are quiet for me now with D not being as free as she was with having the children but it can't be helped. Although there'd be room in the car she doesn't think it's advisable for me to be at such close quarters with the teens especially with them being back at school. Fair enough.

I don't quite know what I'll be doing with myself today but I'm sure I'll find something to pass the time. I'll definitely make a sponge cake for starters which will go down nicely with afternoon cuppas.

I was talking to a neighbour yesterday who was saying that there'd been 109 enquiries about an apartment in her block which became empty before the lockdown. There'll be a mad scramble when viewing is allowed I imagine. It is a popular area, quiet and out of the way with the sea on the doorstep. It's not very often they become vacant.

Cauliflower cheese today by way of a change, home-made cheese sauce of course with a dash of mustard, so look forward to that nice and easy yet nourishing.

I was about to make the bed but two of the cats are slayed out on it after their breakfasts and I don't want to disturb them. I've been bathing the eye of one cat as I had a suspicion that she'd been stung in it after I found a " half-baked " bee/wasp near the window. The cat would have been playing with it shock

Thoughts to those who are feeling a bit down in the mouth flowers it won't last forever.
Whatever you all do or wherever you go take care and stay safe. Pantglas enjoy your time in Spain, Urmston certainly is grin good for you girl.
Enjoy your day everyone xx

Auntieflo Sat 04-Jul-20 09:56:34

Good morning Mick, Annie and all from an overcast bit of Berks.
Ginster, I was going to suggest a cherry stoner thingy, then I thought I could offer my services.
You know, one for me, one for the pie ?, but clever thought about the neck of the bottle tip.
I think I over did it in the garden yesterday afternoon, as I am all achey this morning. I was clearing the bit at the bottom, where ground elder seems to have taken over, from next door, and it involved lots of digging and moving of 'stuff'.

Lots of best wishes to Marydoll, Harrigran and Lins
Have a good weekend one and all.

Gelisajams Sat 04-Jul-20 09:55:23

A late good morning from a rather wet Morecambe Bay. Not much planned for today but I do have my holiday to look forward too! Following the announcement yesterday we have booked the ferry to Shetland! We stay with friends and usually go every year. Couldn’t go last year as DH was recovering from the complications following his surgery so we were doubly disappointed that it looked like we couldn’t make it again this year. Take care and stay safe everyone ?

HAZBEEN Sat 04-Jul-20 09:54:50

Good morning from an overcast Surrey. Clearing out some kitchen cupboards today as OH finished the decorating. Before he started I just piled things in out of the way!
Oh is going to price up a job for a local lady. He has a few now booked in and is starting back to work as of Tuesday. Would have been Monday but we both have eye tests booked and I am also taking the opportunity of being in town to pick a new lounge carpet. I have waited long enough!
Stay safe everyone. Good luck Gillybob with tonight!

gillybob Sat 04-Jul-20 09:46:51

Another attempt at wishing everyone a good morning from the NE coast , where we have yet another grey, damp and miserable day . It seems that summer has deserted us this year.

Lost the previous post after putting my iPad down briefly .

I ended up having little Evie until 9pm last night as my DD didn’t get in from work until 8.30 pm . I would’ve just kept her here normally but got her bathed and put her coat over her little PJ’s and took her home. She made it right to the corner of home before nodding off. My DD just lifted her straight into bed. Little lambkins.

I’m heading back over to DD’s house at lunch time as we anticipate trouble from the pub across the road and she is quite anxious about it . Hopefully if it’s not too wet I will do a bit gardening while I’m there .

Thinking of all those feeling poorly, sad or upset especially BlueSapphire and cherryCezzy. Still hoping and praying for good news for CrazyH’s grandson and hoping we all see some sunshine very soon.

Have as good a Saturday as possible everyone .
Love Gillybob x

Kalu Sat 04-Jul-20 09:43:50

Good morning from Glasgow where it is calm and dry at the moment.
The niggling in my shoulder has calmed down so one more day of sling and cold packs hopefully stops a flare up.

It’s years since I last made it Gingster but I was going to suggest clafoutis too. I use a cherry stoner to take the stones out. Sorry I can’t help you with any tips. Maybe cut the cherries and flick the stone out is all I can think of.

Hope your DD manages to do your garden today Marydoll as the forecast for tomorrow is horrendously high winds and rain. Yuck! Feet up and a nap at some point. Look after yourself.

GD1, 15 next month phoned me yesterday to tell us she is ok with only GD2, 11 having cuddles at the moment and she is saving hers for an extra huge cuddle to look forward to so not to worry. Smiles and tears when we finished our call?

Have a pleasant day all and a better day for you BlueSapphire, Cherry and all our friends having difficult times.

Grandmafrench Sat 04-Jul-20 09:40:49

Good morning everyone. Very hot forecast for coming week.
Glorious morning here, Swallows are wheeling overhead and I’m having a slow breakfast with a second cuppa before I give in to the plants, fill cans and turn sprinklers on again. Just as well we have our own water source.

Gingster I second (or third) the Clafoutis treat. Or, of course, cherry pie and cherry jam. Find a glass bottle with the neck a bit smaller than a cherry, put a cherry over the hole, stem side down, poke chopstick through cherry into bottle and stone will fall into bottle. Et voilà..........(repeat many times unless you’re making a one-cherry dish) ?.

Pantglas you’re going to be in trouble if you’ve given the Spanish weather a touch of North Wales! Not very neighbourly, so hope it’ll change by the time you get the sun loungers out.

Wishing you a more comfortable day, harri and marydoll. Feel brighter soon and take care, Lins.

A calm day, reading by the pool for us. Lots of rest for DH who hurt his back yesterday cleaning the wretched thing!

Have fun with the family all you lucky Grans, have lovely meals or trips out but please remember It hasn’t gone away yet, so please don’t stop taking care.

Hugs from ???????‍♀️??

Grammaretto Sat 04-Jul-20 09:23:25

Good morning from a sunny Scottish Borders. At last some sunshine. I went out to see if any of my seedlings had survived the endless rain. I can count 2 bedraggled parsnips. Why do I bother? Why doesn't Monty Don get slugs?
Our honeysuckle looks better than his grin and smells gorgeous.

I promised myself I would tackle the bedroom today but seeing it's sunny, that would be a waste of a day.

We are officially shielding until July 31st so even if hairdressers open, I am not sure we should be going.
I would charge double at the prospect of all that hair to chop but the more that opens up, the more reclusive we feel.
I am sorry your coach trips have been cancelled Mick
Happy birthday for tomorrow justwidowed and gingster

mancgirl Sat 04-Jul-20 09:21:09

Good morning from an overcast Manchester. Not raining at the moment but not looking good. Pantglas please let us know how your passage through the airport and car hire went. Probably be September before we get out there. Booked a trip to a remote part the Lakes this weekend. Just be nice to get away, traffic permitting! Have a good day everyone. (((hugs))) for those who need one flowersfor those with extra cares and worries.

BladeAnnie Sat 04-Jul-20 09:19:55

Good morning all from a breezy mid Notts. Looking very black too so maybe rain at some time. I opened the door for his Lordship the cat he stuck his nose out and turned around and walked back in. Obviously not cat-friendly weather!! A few little sewing jobs I will get on with today. Having a face time with some friends later this morning. Whatever your plans are today please stay safe x

cornergran Sat 04-Jul-20 09:15:18

Morning Mick, morning All. Grey and gloomy skies over our corner of Somerset. Weary this morning as little sleep, just one of those uncomfortable nights. Nothing planned today, will probably go back to my photo sorting for a while. Mr C has finished the jigsaw, hooray, apparently we must admire it today before it can be put away hmm. Be gentle with yourselves everyone.

harrigran Sat 04-Jul-20 09:06:40

Good morning from an overcast NE.
Yesterday was a day of pain, I couldn't even concentrate to read.
Family didn't call.
DH has been for a newspaper, that is enough excitement for one day.

Nannytopsy Sat 04-Jul-20 09:04:13

Good morning Mick and all his followers. Enjoy your trip Mick.
It’s grey and blowy in our part of Suffolk today. I want to spread some more gravel along the edge of the patio today, then that’s another job I can cross off the list.
Gingster We had a garlic press which had a cherry/olive stoner in the handle. It was very useful at this time of year.
Hope you all enjoy your meet-ups and cuddles.

Lins1066 Sat 04-Jul-20 09:01:40

Good Morning Mick and all, dry and windy here on the S Welsh coast. Haven't posted for a couple of days, been rather down due to some sad family news. Sending Maw a gentle hug and all those struggling at the moment. A belated Happy Birthday to Puzzler too, hope you had a lovely day.
Will have to stir myself shortly, we have two deliveries today, firstly Asda then IKEA.
Stay safe everyone.

Nortsat Sat 04-Jul-20 08:58:29

Good morning Mick and the GM team from a blowy east London, with grey skies.

My partner is off to the garage, to have the MOT done on the car. It needs its service but our garage man has a waiting list for servicing. As we have used it very little during lockdown, it can probably wait a little while.
Then we have the joy of searching online for car insurance, which is up for renewal.

We plan some weeding today and the online grocery order.
We will have steak and salad for supper and find a film to watch.

Good wishes to Bluesapphire, Cherry and Maw. Hoping everyone with celebrations and family get togethers has fun.
Have a nice day all and ? for those who need them. ?

Anniebach Sat 04-Jul-20 08:57:12

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Greyduster Sat 04-Jul-20 08:53:44

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. A dull but (at the moment) dry South Yorkshire day. We had a walk down the playing field yesterday across the road from DD’s, where we went to pick up some shopping they had done for us, to look at some new houses they are building there. A nice but rather boring estate, quite cramped together with small gardens, and the prices astronomical for what they are. Location, location!! Not much to do today - I may try and get my knitting finished at long last. Have a good day folks.

kittylester Sat 04-Jul-20 08:40:33

Blessed phone - Marsala!

kittylester Sat 04-Jul-20 08:39:26

Good morning all! My bit of Leicestershire is more or less the same as dragonfly's - 3 or 4 miles away. It blew a hokey over night.

Must get up and do dh's fry-up - his team is on the tv at lunch time and he can't watch football without a fry-up first!

Did I not present you with anything overnight marydoll? I do apologise.

gingster, I destined cherries with a special device and then 'bake' them in masala with rosemary springs a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lemon. They then keep, covered in the fridge, for a good few days and are lovely on icecream. I also like clafoutis!