Gransnet forums

Chat

First time waking up alone on my birthday

(62 Posts)
Justwidowed Sun 05-Jul-20 08:59:03

The first time today in my entire life 77 years to be precise.It feels strange but the first times are always the worst.This morning I put my husband's birthday card from last year out on the fireplace.I've opened all the cards from family and friends and am expecting my GD and GGD later today,plus an old friend who's warned me to only have a light lunch.How do you think you would cope alone plus Covid ?

glammanana Sun 05-Jul-20 10:48:05

Justwidowed I'm sure you will have a nice day with your family it is one of the firsts that we have to get through isn't it ?
I had just buried my husband of 45yrs when we went into lock down so bereavement and isolation hit with one big bang for me along with our anniversary and my lovely mans birthday,I have been told the pain gets less as we get over all these first special dates in our lives.sending flowers

Pammie1 Sun 05-Jul-20 10:48:18

Sorry, that link should read way-up.co.uk/.

Grandmalove Sun 05-Jul-20 11:22:43

Happy Birthday Justwidowed.
My husband died last month and my birthday is on Wednesday. I know my family will help me through the day.
Both my daughters live a long way away from me. One is in Australia and one in Scotland so they will both FaceTime me in the morning. My sister has invited me over to have dinner and stay the night with her so that I am not on my own. I am trying to focus on all the positives in my life to help me through the day.

hollysteers Sun 05-Jul-20 11:25:50

Good to have company today justwidowed. Bereavement plus COVID-19 is no joke. I ‘lost’ my husband three years ago (a friend shouted at me “I haven’t LOST my husband!” When I said that to her?) and I’m glad it happened then as my way of coping was to get out as much as possible. Little trips, big trips etc. The only good thing lockdown has brought me is that I have finally got round to sorting papers/rooms in the house which I might have left otherwise.
I have dyscalculia, a number problem, so only remember the odd date. That’s a blessing as don’t dwell on anniversaries.
My advice, when you can, is to get out and about so you don’t ruminate, the Tricky at the moment, but things will improve, I’m sure.
God bless.

Noreen3 Sun 05-Jul-20 11:29:45

happy birthday Justwidowed.Hope you manage to have a good day,but it's not the same without your husband,I lost mine 2 years ago

Purplepixie Sun 05-Jul-20 11:32:26

Happy birthday and sending you love and hugs. I hope you can enjoy your day but I feel your pain.x flowers wine

Daddima Sun 05-Jul-20 11:37:45

I had my ‘ first’ birthday in May, followed by the 47th wedding anniversary, then the Bodach’s birthday. I don’t know if being isolated made them easier or harder, as I’ve kind of got used to not doing much. As said by others, just try to have as good a day as you can, lots of thoughts will be with you.

NemosMum Sun 05-Jul-20 11:57:29

I've been widowed twice. All the 'firsts' are difficult, but you will get through it! Can't pretend life is the same, but you learn to live with your loss, and it won't always be accompanied by the sort of visceral pain it is at first. You see through all those 'firsts' and you begin to realise you can have joyful moments and good memories of times together with folding up in grief and sadness. Enjoy your family visit. Remember your husband, and how pleased he'd be to see you enjoying your birthday. flowers

NemosMum Sun 05-Jul-20 11:58:24

Sorry, meant without folding up in grief

gillgran Sun 05-Jul-20 11:59:49

Warm Birthday Wishes, Justwidowed, have a gentle type of day.
Take Care, flowers

BlueSky Sun 05-Jul-20 12:01:29

How many people on their own with family far away! Thinking of you all flowers

Squiffy Sun 05-Jul-20 12:06:36

Happy birthday justwidowed. I hope you will be able to enjoy it despite it being so different this year.

oodles Sun 05-Jul-20 12:07:25

lots of love and happy birthday x flowers

JaneRn Sun 05-Jul-20 12:10:21

Justwidowed. Wishing you a happy birthday hardly seems appropriate but I am sure for you it will be happy but in a different way than it was before. I was widowed five years ago and although one never forgets, the pain does get a little easier once you learn to use each anniversary as a remembrance of the happy years together, and feel grateful for them.
Love and best wishes to you.

tinysidsmum Sun 05-Jul-20 12:15:43

Happy birthday xx

EllanVannin Sun 05-Jul-20 12:16:48

Enjoy the day as best you can Justwidowed. flowers x

Lupin Sun 05-Jul-20 12:17:25

My sympathies on your loss and my best wishes to you for as good a birthday as possible. I was very touched by your message.
I hope your day goes well.

Juicylucy Sun 05-Jul-20 13:09:37

Happy Birthday hope you have a special day x

brook2704 Sun 05-Jul-20 13:11:41

Happy Birthday justwidowed have the best day you can with your family around you ❤️??

jaylucy Sun 05-Jul-20 13:20:50

A very Happy Birthday to you !
I had that when I was divorced - husband had moved out, so there was just me and my baby son. The rest of the family (being in Oz) were away for their summer holidays.
I did have a phone call from my aunt in the UK and my parents had rung the day before , but it still would have been nice for someone to come to my house!
Difficult during this time too when you can't really arrange to go out for lunch with a friend.
Sometimes it's nice just to have a chance to remember on time past - so I hope that you have a bottle of something nice to open . Hope that things are totally different this time next year!

Babs49 Sun 05-Jul-20 13:31:15

The Way up link does not work.

MarieEliza Sun 05-Jul-20 13:33:18

Love and hugs, remember the special memories you have ??

moggie57 Sun 05-Jul-20 13:38:37

I always put out my mums birthday card to me that she gave me before she died in 1998.i wake up every morning by m
yself..happy birthday.hope you have a great day.

craftyone Sun 05-Jul-20 13:38:56

Happy birthday flowers

My birthday is most definitely the very worst time of the year, it was the day that belonged to me, when I had the most attention, when I was taken out, given a present by my husband. You will learn to live with it, personally I (used to) go somewhere for the day, national trust or somesuch and have lunch out. This year I made sure I was very busy, doing nice things at home. Once the day is over, then it is another tick in the box for another year

Scotwap Sun 05-Jul-20 13:44:38

First time for everything is the worst
Eg.’’’ Birthdays, anniversaries, Xmas. It does get easier
Try and have a nice birthday