Gransnet forums

Chat

Haircut this week, hurrah!

(82 Posts)
GillT57 Mon 06-Jul-20 15:37:31

I have got my hairdresser coming in later this week. As the premises where she rents a salon is not open yet, she has decided to go mobile. All precautions in place. I am looking forward to having a good haircut and getting rid of 4 months worth of growth, but have decided to stop colouring my hair and embrace, slowly, going grey. This week we have the haircut and the discussion as to where we go from here, gentle introduction and assimilation of the grey is what I am aiming for. Anyone else looking forward to a haircut?

libra10 Tue 07-Jul-20 14:45:38

My mobile hairdresser called this morning and cut and highlighted my hair.
She has to take her own temperature daily, take the temperature of each customer. Wash her hands using sanitiser, provide disposable capes, sterilise her equipment each time used, and wear a face shield.
After all this - glad that my hair is looking much better, and done in a completely safe way.

Greciangirl Tue 07-Jul-20 14:52:09

Booked for next Monday.
Now I’m wondering if I should take my own towel with me,
Can’t stand the thought of someone else having used it, clean or not clean. Obviously, it didn’t bother me before this virus.
I don’t want to offend the poor woman by suggesting it.
Starting to feel nervous now.

Thecatshatontgemat Tue 07-Jul-20 15:15:31

After seeing the queue in town yesterday, and the frantic cutting and snipping within, l am definately in no hurry to go anywhere near one of those places yet!
Hair is clean, coloured and long. Happy with that.

OurKid1 Tue 07-Jul-20 15:39:27

My at-home appointment isn't due till the end of this month, when my lovely mobile hairdresser will arrive fully kitted with PPE, sanitizer etc....

I've had enough of looking like the love-child of Boris Johnson and Camilla Parker Bowles!

NanTheWiser Tue 07-Jul-20 16:08:34

I’ve got mine booked for next Thursday! It’s usually a short pixie cut, but I’ve been trimming it every few weeks with thinning scissors during lockdown, and I’ve been really pleased with the results! Still, can’t wait to go back to my shorter style.

And to those who are going to embrace the grey - go for it! I went grey 20years ago, best thing I ever did, as it’s such a lovely silver. Think of the money you’ll save...

Bijou Tue 07-Jul-20 16:11:23

I never go to a hairdresser but I was pleased yesterday for a visit by my chiropodist. My toe nails were beginning to catch in the carpet and a corn was very painful.
She wore full PPI and I sat by the open window.

Joelise Tue 07-Jul-20 16:17:53

I’m having cut and blow dry on Friday, I can’t wait ! Masks , disposable capes and towels will be provided , at an extra £5.00 . If you wear a coat, you have to keep it with you , and they ask that you take in as little as possible, sanitiser is inside the door , and you have arrive on time and wait outside till they call you in ! It will be worth it though, as i have very thick hair , and it’s driving me mad !

pollyperkins Tue 07-Jul-20 16:20:25

Like Davida Im in no hurry. I dod phone yesterday but the first appt they could manage was the end of January . Ah well. It doesn't look too bad and Ive been grey/silver for years and have been complimented on my hair colour.

Lucca Tue 07-Jul-20 16:55:32

Just had mine cut and feel much better.
Out of interest I was looking at prices of various salons in my area and one already very expensive place is only offering Post Covid special packages which are supposed to repair the ravages of lockdown and are much more expensive eg top top top director guy charges £120 for “technical cutting service “ normally but at the moment it is “£145.
For that I’d want him to at least chauffeur me there and back cook me dinner and do a quick tidy round of the house....

Lucca Tue 07-Jul-20 16:56:12

pollyperkins

Like Davida Im in no hurry. I dod phone yesterday but the first appt they could manage was the end of January . Ah well. It doesn't look too bad and Ive been grey/silver for years and have been complimented on my hair colour.

End of January ??

rowanflower0 Tue 07-Jul-20 16:58:51

I had my hair cut this morning, - not lost any weight unfortunately, but feel 10 years younger! All of my grey is at the front, so had a colour too - if I were greyer I wouldn't bother.

Chinesecrested Tue 07-Jul-20 18:17:24

I will never give in to the grey, even though I'm 68!

Saggi Tue 07-Jul-20 18:23:00

15th July for me...next Wednesday.

Mamma7 Tue 07-Jul-20 18:55:47

Have been colouring my own hair since lockdown and today husband cut 3 inches off the length of my hair when I requested 1 inch - was a shock for both of us! At least I won’t need it cutting for a while ?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-Jul-20 19:13:41

Done!!?. Feel so much better - and new style.

Granjax33 Tue 07-Jul-20 19:36:29

I am another who prefers to wait. I have went a lighter shade of blonde than before which blends in ok with my silvery grey. DH has become very good at shaping and trimming the back so for now no panic.

maddyone Tue 07-Jul-20 19:44:54

Good one Whitewave. My turn tomorrow, I can’t wait. My 92 year old mother went today, she looks like a new woman now. It was great to see her looking her usual lovely self.

Millie22 Tue 07-Jul-20 19:49:26

I'm waiting too and my last appointment was in January. My DH cut some off the back in April but it's feeling long again now. I'm hoping to go sometime next week but I'm quite nervous about wearing a mask.

lizzypopbottle Tue 07-Jul-20 20:02:58

I've been to have my hair cut and coloured every five to six weeks for countless years. It was last done just before lockdown and I've coloured it myself twice since then and snipped at my fringe several times. It's pretty bad but, having got this far, I'm now considering letting it keep growing. I considered training it into a bob but my daughter tells me that because I've trimmed the sides of my fringe, the best I can expect is a mullet! So maybe I'll have to go back to my stylist but the word is that she's brought her retirement forward ?

BoBo53 Tue 07-Jul-20 20:03:00

Me neither Davida1968 - me and my hubby have twice cut my hair and made a pretty good job. Also I stopped colouring my hair a couple of years ago, I’m lucky its a lovely silver now. Thought I’d let those in greater need go first I’ll wait a couple of weeks!

Kim19 Tue 07-Jul-20 20:29:01

I'm another one waiting for calmer times for my hairdresser. She's getting enough hassle from the pushy clients without me. Furthermore, as 'witch' looks go, I've arrived and don't think another few weeks will make it any worse. Grecian, I feel your hairdresser might be just as nervous at using your towel (if it is allowed) as you are at using hers. There's no mental 'win' here methinks. We'll all just have to do the best we can by way of relaxing and moving into this new 'normal'. Gosh it's hard.

SunnySusie Tue 07-Jul-20 21:21:46

Just back from my appointment. I dont think I have ever enjoyed visiting the hairdresser so much in my life. I was very lukewarm about the whole thing before. It was just so lovely to spend an hour or so in the salon in the company of a young person who was chattering away about cheerful things. Not only does my hair look heaps better, I feel better too. Apparently there are 2,000 people on the salon waiting list!! I feel so blessed to have had an appointment in the first week.

narrowboatnan Tue 07-Jul-20 21:28:12

Grannynannywanny

I can’t wait for my haircut soon. Isn’t it amazing that, according to my bathroom scales, 4 months of uncut hair weighs over a stone ?

I didn’t know that uncut hair weighed so much either - I’ve been blaming the towel I wrapped my wet hair up in ??

lemongrove Tue 07-Jul-20 21:49:23

Granjax33

I am another who prefers to wait. I have went a lighter shade of blonde than before which blends in ok with my silvery grey. DH has become very good at shaping and trimming the back so for now no panic.

Me too.It’s blonde and doesn’t show the grey and is now long enough to put into a messy updo.DH likes it, so I may not be going to the hairdressers for quite a while.It’s also easier to style when left down, as being longer the weight straightens it, so it stays in place.

lemongrove Tue 07-Jul-20 21:50:26

....I don’t think it weighs a stone though.?