Gransnet forums

Chat

I’m in a hair quandary!

(108 Posts)
Noname Tue 07-Jul-20 12:47:03

In just over two weeks I have my first hair appointment since lockdown with my usual hairdresser (I have been going to him for several years)
Like most, my short, natural grey style has grown out so I would love to try a completely new style.
Here is my problem; I know that if I try and discuss with my hairdresser what I would like, he will come up with a suggestion which will sound just what I would like to try but the end result will be the same as always!
I know I could go somewhere else but I don’t want to offend my stylist!
Suggestions please ?

MissAdventure Fri 10-Jul-20 16:57:57

I love that username, Oldfogie smile

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 10-Jul-20 13:01:08

Oldfogie you and me both, my hair has been Auburn for over 50 years, now the roots are mostly back and grey, maybe 2 to 3 inches, but it’s still quite long.
But I’m determined to try to leave it alone, I can sort my own fringe out, but as you say that’s the bit that will be greyer first.

travelsafar Fri 10-Jul-20 09:25:46

I am defo changing my hairdresser. I went on Tuesday for a fringe trim and some off the length. Bearing in mind my fringe was really long and i had been clipping it back she literally took about 2mins to hack into it and has made a total hash of it so i am resorting to clipping back again to allow it to grow before going to a different hairdresser. She was a replacement hairdresser for my normal one who had left the salon and found another job so i thought it will be ok but boy it was not!!! She talked constantly, instead of consentrating on what she was doing. So disappointed with end result. Owner of salon i think guessed how i felt as usually i make follow up appointment the same day. Sad really as i have been going there for about 10 years. I am tempted to ring the owner up and explain but at the end of the day don't want to get the girl in any kind of trouble. Difficult one. What would you do??

Oldfogie Fri 10-Jul-20 09:07:42

I hadn't had my hair cut or dyed since 13th March and have decided to let my hair go grey. I have shoulder length layered hair and a fringe. I told my hairdresser before my appointment that I would not be dying it anytime soon and she said it was a good time to give it a go. So, first haircut, no dye fringe is going grey first, top isnt so grey. I am 67 years old, young at heart, not having my hair cut off and trying not to look st myself too much.

Gma29 Fri 10-Jul-20 09:00:12

I would also say, be realistic with the pictures you may take to your hairdresser, and the type of thing that will work with your hair. You know what your hair is like to blow dry or curl, probably better than the hairdresser does.

I have very fine, stubbornly straight hair, and I just know that a lot of the casually waved bob styles I like will just not work, Well, not past the five minutes it takes to walk back to the car!

Alexa Fri 10-Jul-20 08:33:54

Could you buy some cheap wigs in several styles, lengths, and decide which you look best in, the take that to the hairdresser?

embracethegrey Fri 10-Jul-20 07:23:57

I’ve had my hair cut this week. My lovely hairdresser said that only 2 clients out of 30 have wanted their hairstyle to go back to what it was pre-lockdown. The rest of us have wanted something different. She told me I’d done the hard bit by letting it grow so now she had hair to style. Go for it OP!!

gangstergranny Thu 09-Jul-20 09:53:01

I have found some fab inspiration on Pinterest for thin grey hair/pixie cuts etc....
You need to set up an account to access stuff and it's very easy. Trouble is Pinterest contains lots of interesting things and the time flies by. Here is the link to set up an account,
www.pinterest.co.uk/

Good Luck shamrock

KerryS Thu 09-Jul-20 07:05:09

I'm thinking along similar lines! My hair has been much the same all my adult life - though now grey! It's shortish, naturally wavy which I like. I usually do a home dye every 3 months. My hairdresser is a personal friend who comes to the house, but she is sheltering due to ill health, so cannot return to hairdressing until August. In the meantime, my hair irritatingly started flopping into my eyes some time ago, so I bought some hairbands, and pushed it all back, I didn't see the point of dying it under the circumstances. So now it's noticeably longer, randomly wavy/curly and definitely pretty grey all over. I actually quite like the freedom! However, although most people say they prefer it , my husband thinks it makes me look older (but of course is happy with whatever I do) and my hairdresser says she'll think about styles that might suit me, but she thinks I should dye it as she's a believer in dying!! My problem is that I don't know what to do with it long term, but think this is the perfect opportunity to change things! Oh dear! First-world dilemma!

Withnail Thu 09-Jul-20 04:34:22

I have discovered that my hair has stopped coming out in handfuls since I have gone 4 months without having it coloured. I have put henna on my hair for colour & health & left the new silver growth. I am keeping it long but put it up in the day. I think a lot of hairdressers are worried they will lose their clients so are not encouraging people to keep the silver/grey. Stick with what you want, be clear what you do want or find another hairdresser. Once everyone has had their catch up appointments it will calm down again. If your hairdresser never speaks to you again were they really a friend?

Daftbag1 Wed 08-Jul-20 20:29:15

The hairdressers are making massive changes to how they're operating. Sanitizing between clients, no chatting, visors and masks for stylist and client, no going in to wait, no shopping bags, sterilizing between clients of scissors etc., far fewer clients, I could go on.

Salons are about as safe as they can be. Personally, I'm pleased to have an appointment at the end of the month but I wasn't desperate, I am desperately sorry for my hairdresser though. Financially things are very hard for her and her colleague. I feel that it's a win win. My hair will be cut, and I'm doing my bit to support local business!

Sal19 Wed 08-Jul-20 18:06:32

I had a wonderful hairdresser in Wales for 14 years and my hair always looked great and healthy. When I moved back to England I have found it very hard to get a style I am happy with (I have shorter hair now). They start off OK but then get very friendly and don't seem too worried what they're doing.
Its happened several times. Problem is I am friendly and chatty!! (Solution?) I'd say time for a change, strange year, new start.

Humbertbear Wed 08-Jul-20 18:04:21

Your hairdresser works for you. You are free to go to a different stylist or ask for a new stylist in the salon. Your hairdresser is no entitled to be offended and won’t be

allule Wed 08-Jul-20 17:43:44

My sister has a very good hairdresser, and has always shamed me when they visit, with smartly cut and coloured hair, whereas mine gets a cursory trim at home.
With lockdown, we said on Skype how long our hair had grown, and we sent each other photos. We were amazed how alike we looked.

Sueki44 Wed 08-Jul-20 17:34:55

Chaitriona - I think you would be surprised at the precautions: hand sanitiser, temperature taken, name and address of new clients ( track and trace I suppose.)Masks provided, disposable capes etc....I was impressed!
I think the main thing is to be honest with your hairdresser. Don’t say ‘fine’ when you hate it! I regularly ask for a little more off certain areas and ask her to thin a wayward curl I have.

Jennyluck Wed 08-Jul-20 17:31:14

You’re

Jennyluck Wed 08-Jul-20 17:30:40

I think it pays to change hairdressers now and again. I think when you’ve being going to them for a long time, they just do what they like.

My last but one hairdresser had been doing my hair for years. Colour and cut, so not cheap. And had it done once a month.
The last time I went , he put the wrong colour on. And the cut was awful. So enough was enough, I found another hairdresser. Much cheaper .
Your the customer, your choice.

GreenGran78 Wed 08-Jul-20 17:26:36

I tentatively stuck my head in at the hairdresser's, this morning, and asked if they are making appointments. She said Yes, and that they had just had a cancellation for this afternoon! I was flabbergasted!
So here I am, with a lovely short haircut, revelling in not having to push it out of my eyes any more. Pure bliss.
The hairdresser said that a lot of people have decided to go with the longer look, and just have it tidied up. I couldn't wait to have mine lopped.

Puzzler61 Wed 08-Jul-20 16:59:44

I joined only about 8 weeks ago but am enjoying it so much Girlygran. I hope you have fun with it too. Be sure to visit soop’s kitchen thread and the Argy bar thread if you want to be entertained and keep the company of jolly folk. ?

AlisonKF Wed 08-Jul-20 16:42:16

I have had the good fortune to have the same mobile hairdresser over for forty years Though technically retired she favours me and a few others with continuing visits. As I have grown older, my fine hair has grown more difficult to manage. She is always right when I reflect on her advice. I suggest some of your readers give salons a miss and try to acquire a gem like mine. She gives me a light perm about four times a year and an expert cut. On July 4th, she came in PPE and gave me a perm, cut and blow dry for £48.00, which was a huge relief. She, herself, was going to a salon the next day which would charge her £48.00 just for the cut and blow dry. She has enjoyed being freelance and her prices reflect the fact that she has no premises to maintain. I also wasn my own hair just before she arrives saving us both time.

GirlyGran Wed 08-Jul-20 15:25:12

Puzzler 61 thanks for the welcome. I am enjoying being part of the grannet gang

craftyone Wed 08-Jul-20 15:21:48

I like my new longer hair, usually an urchin cut. I have an appointment first thing tomorrow and am going to ask for a neaten, rather than a full chop. What the op says about the hairdresser going his own way, it started to hapen to me last hairdresser, so I left

PennyWhistle Wed 08-Jul-20 15:19:14

I have been in a very similar situation to the OP.

For years I went to the same hairdresser. For years I had the same style, no matter how I suggested it may change. The hairdressers were almost family friends - we all went there including the children. So I felt really awkward about changing to someone else, and always caved in when rebooking, despite being unhappy with the results each time.

Then my husband stepped in and cancelled an appointment when I had flu one winter. He said we would rebook when the time was right. And I have never been back! Bless him.

Now I go to a young lady who really 'gets' my hair and preferences.

Thecatshatontgemat Wed 08-Jul-20 15:07:34

Go to another hairdressers.
Your money, your choice.
Sod him!

Riggie Wed 08-Jul-20 15:04:13

I was offered an appointment but am still sheilding so said not thanks not until august please. I am in the doghouse!