Gransnet forums

Chat

I’m in a hair quandary!

(107 Posts)
Noname Tue 07-Jul-20 12:47:03

In just over two weeks I have my first hair appointment since lockdown with my usual hairdresser (I have been going to him for several years)
Like most, my short, natural grey style has grown out so I would love to try a completely new style.
Here is my problem; I know that if I try and discuss with my hairdresser what I would like, he will come up with a suggestion which will sound just what I would like to try but the end result will be the same as always!
I know I could go somewhere else but I don’t want to offend my stylist!
Suggestions please ?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-Jul-20 12:57:33

I’m hoping for the best this afternoon. I’ve decided to dispense with my fringe which has nearly grown out and go for a longish Bob. I’m hoping it suits my age and face shape.

The point is that nothing is for ever as hair grows and can be recut.

MissAdventure Tue 07-Jul-20 12:59:33

Take a picture of the kind of thing you want with you.

Oopsadaisy3 Tue 07-Jul-20 13:00:55

Noname I would imagine that from your OP, that your hairdresser pays you to go and see him?
If you are paying him, then I would suggest that if he doesn’t do what you ask him too, then you walk away and find somebody else.

Sussexborn Tue 07-Jul-20 13:05:03

I have the same problem with my current hairdresser. I am intending to give the grey/silver a chance and to stay slightly longer. This was met with a meaningful silence when I told him during our last phone call.

Problem is all the hairdressers here are booked up for the next few weeks.

Sussexborn Tue 07-Jul-20 13:06:00

Meant to be months - not weeks.

Lucca Tue 07-Jul-20 13:15:25

If hairdresser doesn’t suit just change ! He’s not a personal friend is he?
As misadventure says take several pictures with you to new place or give your original person one last try with the pictures.

Lucca Tue 07-Jul-20 13:16:09

Sussexborn

I have the same problem with my current hairdresser. I am intending to give the grey/silver a chance and to stay slightly longer. This was met with a meaningful silence when I told him during our last phone call.

Problem is all the hairdressers here are booked up for the next few weeks.

Do give grey silver a chance it is very liberating !

Grammaretto Tue 07-Jul-20 14:30:30

My quandary is slightly different. I am shielding (for DH) and can't officially go anywhere yet. Hairdressers seem to be reopening around here (Scotland) on 15th. Will they be safe enough?
I suppose anything is safer than walking about with hair over my eyes. wink
I left the last place and tried the place next door! Before that I would often change the stylist. It made no difference really as cutting is governed by the way your hair grows and the type of hair it is.
I like the ones who flatter me and don't tell me that my hair is coarse and has a kink in it.
At least I have hair.

NotTooOld Tue 07-Jul-20 14:36:18

It is hard to change hairdressers. My problem is that I let them chat to me and I chat back, so they do sort of become friends over a long period. It was easy to leave the last one though. I had been going there for 10 years, having a free fringe trim in between apointments, when suddenly they started charging for the fringe trims. Because my stylist was labelled 'Top Stylist' they wanted me to pay £11. I was suddenly incentivised to go elsewhere!

PamelaJ1 Tue 07-Jul-20 17:29:45

I’ve been looking through images of hairstyles, now is the time to go for something different while we all have a bit of length to go at. This is me about 6 years ago, I think I may go for that again but in grey this time.
Yes that is my house???

PamelaJ1 Tue 07-Jul-20 17:31:10

Ignore the bit at the bottom of the page, should have edited.

Noname Tue 07-Jul-20 19:56:42

Thanks all! Yes, as suggested I have taken a photo with me before but of course my hair would not take that particular style! ? And as NotTooOld has said hairdressers sort of become friends after a few years! I have two weeks to decide what to do!

phoenix Tue 07-Jul-20 20:03:21

Noname raffle your appointment, and use the money you make to go to another salin! winkgrin

phoenix Tue 07-Jul-20 20:03:43

Salon!

Sussexborn Tue 07-Jul-20 20:11:21

My hairdresser cuts and colours beautifully for about 1/3rd of the cost of other local hairdressers. It is more a way of keeping him occupied whilst his partner does the serious earning. I tried a number of hairdressers when we first moved here and they didn’t cope with my thick hair at all. I will have to be more assertive. I am not generally too bothered just feel it’s time to see what gray looks like. I can always go back to my highlights and lowlights if I don’t like it.

Whingingmom Tue 07-Jul-20 21:19:14

There are several free apps available where you can upload a photo of yourself and try out new styles and colours on yourself. Might be worth a try - you can screenshot and take to your hairdresser.

lemongrove Tue 07-Jul-20 21:24:51

Pamela ....must take ages to to get your Tesco shopping to the door, how long does it take to row there??

lemongrove Tue 07-Jul-20 21:27:43

Noname if you are generally happy with your hairdresser then you just need to show him pics of the hairstyle you want.
Do not...repeat do not rely on just describing what you want.I once did that years ago and lived to regret it.

Happiyogi Tue 07-Jul-20 21:45:11

Noname, I’d say trust your instinct and cancel the appointment. Your hairdresser is unlikely to change - I had a similar one years ago. At every appointment I’d say what I’d like to do so as to grow it a little. He’d agree enthusiastically, before cutting it short. Again! I almost ended up believing that it wouldn’t actually grow!

My next stylist listened to what I wanted to try and agreed - and of course my hair grew!

Take advantage of the current circumstances which have allowed your hair to grow a bit, and let someone new help you get your new style. Good luck!

PamelaJ1 Wed 08-Jul-20 07:39:24

Lemon grove, ? such good exercise for the upper arms. Then , when I’ve staggered through the hall the kitchen is downstairs!

I had a brilliant hairdresser once, he used to do something different regularly. Up to a point, of course, there was only so far he could cut. He moved to NZ.

Sparklefizz Wed 08-Jul-20 09:40:37

Noname I know how you feel as I was in the same situation a couple of years ago ..... but now, after lockdown has caused a "natural break" is the time to make a change. Take advantage of that and find another hairdresser.

twinnytwin Wed 08-Jul-20 09:48:05

I've decided to embrace the grey and grow it longer, at least for a while. Trouble is that once the kids are back at school I'll see my hairdresser every day on the school playground when I collect the grandkids.

polnan Wed 08-Jul-20 09:48:39

I guess a lot of hairdressers will not want those of you who "colour" to stop, it is money to them, if not now , in the future!
who is the customer? but I do know exactly what you mean..
but I have a saying, covers all things

I do NEVER give offence, if you wish to take it, that is up to you! hugs and love

Beanie654321 Wed 08-Jul-20 09:51:45

Your hair your decision NOT his.