Gransnet forums

Chat

21y old Brooklyn Beckham announces his engagement to his ‘soulmate’ of 9 months.

(61 Posts)
Urmstongran Sat 11-Jul-20 17:14:43

Good luck to them.
Ladies and gentlemen, I present the bride and gorm.

He’s never had a job, flunked is expensive education. What could possibly go wrong?

phoenix Sat 11-Jul-20 19:39:33

joannapiano Congratulations! wineflowers

maddyone Sat 11-Jul-20 19:49:31

Good luck to them. They won’t have any of the worries that any of us had so that’ll be a nice start for them. No, it’s true that they don’t live in the real world, but they’ll never have to so it doesn’t matter. I just hope they find something worthwhile to do so that their lives have some real meaning.

Urmstongran Sat 11-Jul-20 19:54:10

I too met Himself when I was 17y and got married at 19y. We are coming up to our 46th wedding anniversary.

I just think this day & age it seems very young. Times were different in 1974.

And actually, it IS news. Today anyway!
?

joannapiano Sat 11-Jul-20 21:36:54

Thank you, Phoenix. To celebrate we met our son and three of our DGC at the local park. It was lovely!

Iam64 Sat 11-Jul-20 21:58:14

Thanks to all the contributions from people who don't instantly start making unpleasant comments abut this young couple. He's been lucky to have celeb parents who stayed together and clearly love their children. They seem to have managed to bring up four children well, in spite of living life in the public eye

suziewoozie Sat 11-Jul-20 22:05:36

Gaga just what I was thinking. Why did you start this thread Urm knocking people you don’t know and who don’t impact your life in the slightest?

janeainsworth Sat 11-Jul-20 22:18:37

Congratulations joanna flowers

Marrying young worked for us too.

I thought Brooklyn was about 7. I must keep upgrin

JenniferEccles Sat 11-Jul-20 22:41:40

Some of the posts on here show that it is possible to find a ‘soul mate’ in our late teens or early 20s and for the marriage to last.

Statistically though these are in the minority, as a lot of those who marry very young end up divorced after a few years.

It’s not really surprising is it, as the chap who we were so smitten with when we are very young loses appeal as we mature.

It would have been a complete disaster if I had married either of my boyfriends from my late teens and early 20s.

Having said that of course there are no guarantees whatever age we get married, but the younger we are the more the odds are stacked against us.

paddyanne Sat 11-Jul-20 22:54:55

we married a month after my OH's 20th birthday ,I was 21.We're still married 45 years later ,despite the fact we also worked together for all those years and the year before we married .I cant imagine life without him ,he IS my life .I hope these young people have a good life ,though being cynical I dont know if the vast wealth will help or hinder.

SueDonim Sat 11-Jul-20 23:07:01

I had married and had my first child around the time I was BB’s age, more than 45+ years ago. As dh says, you get less for murder. grin

It is a different world today but I’d always wish a young couple good luck as they start out on life together. smile

Mouseybrown60 Sat 11-Jul-20 23:10:20

I met OH when I was 15 & he was 17; married him when I was 18. Still together after 48 years. Loads of ups and downs, quarrels, squabbles etc., love him more now than ever. Good luck to them.

May7 Sun 12-Jul-20 01:25:29

Ahhh Young lust love you just cant beat it can you. Best wishes to you Brooklyn

Hithere Sun 12-Jul-20 01:39:48

Congratulations to the couple!

Urmstongran
May I ask why this is your business?
Are you paying for the wedding, giving them your blessing?

Who made you the judge to decide what age and conditions are acceptable for getting engaged in this decade, 50 years ago or the 22nd century?

Urmstongran Sun 12-Jul-20 11:28:47

Oh god Hithere you are po-faced this morning: Urmstongran
May I ask why this is your business?

It was an article in a newspaper. News items often generate comments, negative or positive, in discussions with my friends when we meet up. You know - it’s called having a chat about things in general. Jeez.

granzilla Sun 12-Jul-20 11:36:53

I was 18 and boyfriend 21 when we got engaged in 1971.
It's our 45th Wedding Anniversary next week. smile
But I don't think I'd have been too pleased if our kids had done the same < oh the hypocrisy > blush

glammanana Sun 12-Jul-20 11:49:07

I hope they are very happy together all the Beckham children seem well grounded to me,it is not their fault they have been born into such financial security for the rest of their lives.

annodomini Sun 12-Jul-20 12:08:10

Just think - perhaps in the next few years we can invite 'Posh' to join Gransnet. grin

Urmstongran Sun 12-Jul-20 12:09:13

Very clever annodomini ‼️
Maybe next year?

Ngaio1 Sun 12-Jul-20 12:10:05

I couldn't care less. Nothing to do with me. Cannot understand why this would be of interest with the exception of both families.

luluaugust Sun 12-Jul-20 12:12:01

I was 19, OH 23 but it was a very different world for a start we had both been at work for some years. Will it last well who knows? Good luck to them

Fernbergien Sun 12-Jul-20 12:22:33

Have a good day Joanna

Callistemon Sun 12-Jul-20 13:04:13

annodomini

Just think - perhaps in the next few years we can invite 'Posh' to join Gransnet. grin

grin

sarahellenwhitney Sun 12-Jul-20 13:08:12

Urmstongran
grin grin grin.

jaylucy Sun 12-Jul-20 13:09:16

Bit of a sweeping statement!
How do you know that he has never had a job - isn't he the one that is a model ?
I can see that there are a few that got married at 20 on here - they obviously picked the right one - unlike me!
Quite honestly, none of anyone's business when any one's son gets engaged or married (unless he is your own) and why assume actors don't live in the real world????
I just wish him all the luck in the world if it works, it works!!

merlotgran Sun 12-Jul-20 13:41:15

isn't he the one that is a model ?

Nah! That's the next one down, Romeo.