Gransnet forums

Chat

Face Masks in shops

(341 Posts)
LindyB Mon 13-Jul-20 10:08:23

How do other readers feel about wearing face masks in shops? We are fortunate enough that our daughter who lives nearby has insisted on doing our food shopping for us and what with the odd delivery we have not needed to go into a shop since lock down. I realise that we do need to start going out to shops soon, keeping as safe as we can. I was quite relieved when it was announced on Friday that Boris Johnson seemed to hint that wearing face masks might be made mandatory as Scotland and many other countries have done. I then heard Michael Gove say that wearing face masks should not be mandatory but rather should be worn to show good manners. My question is surely good manners do not come into it if I wear a face mask to protect others, surely I should be able to expect the same from everyone else to protect me. I know that face masks are not the only preventative measure but surely anything and everything that helps should be done.

Grannynannywanny Sat 18-Jul-20 09:08:39

Thanks for sharing the Russell Kane clip Furret. He’s spot on

Greeneyedgirl Sat 18-Jul-20 09:48:51

Thanks for posting the clip Furret. There’s really no argument after watching that is there? He puts it so eloquently grin especially the BJ impersonation.
It’s now winging through cyber to entertain my friends.

TwoWolves Sat 18-Jul-20 11:34:55

Good grief, I've just tried watching the Russell Kane clip - what a complete and utter oik - as if I'd take any notice of what a person like that says.

As to the science, then 'science' is still arguing about it, as far as I'm aware - some for, some against which makes you wonder if they can't get something like that right, then they don't really know. I don't think any scientist argued against the use of seatbelts back in the day, though.

And now I'm just repeating myself, but Why, if the facemasks are so effective didn't they make them mandatory back in March? Why the shop worker/shop visitor discrepancy and why the shop visitor/office worker discrepancy?

Still, I'm not posting on this any more. You are wasting your breaths trying to convince me that there's some point to masks, and I'm wasting my time trying to convince you. I've got to wear them, end of, but I will not do it without protest.

Riverwalk Sat 18-Jul-20 12:46:14

The mask had printed on it "This is F** Pointless".

Well what a rebel - how old are you?

I'm a nurse but am a bit of a sceptic regarding the efficacy of the general public wearing face coverings having seen people with them below the nose, tatty, on/off, how often do they wash,/dispose etc.

However it's the current advice to wear them in enclosed spaces, and mandatory in a few days so am now wearing one inside shops; also based on countries who've handled the virus so much better than we have e.g. Germany, it's what they've been doing so for now I'll go with their example.

In the early days we didn't need masks as the UK was in lockdown, no non-essential shops, pubs, restaurants etc., so no need for a mask as you were not in close contact with other people.

Jane10 Sat 18-Jul-20 13:49:41

Tweedle- only just back on this thread. We're not in operating theatres, just shopping. Scarves are perfectly acceptable pulled up over mouth and nose. How they are put on and removed are the same as face masks. Hands can be washed/sanitised as required in exactly the same way. Me? I've got a visor.

Saetana Sat 18-Jul-20 15:17:05

The cloth masks and "face coverings" are useless - the virus is small enough to get through them in either direction. The three ply disposable masks are better and that is what I shall be wearing - when I have to, hardly anyone is wearing them in our area as we are all practising proper social distancing out and about as well as in the local shops. If the government's intention was to encourage people to feel safer and shop more then, so far as I am concerned, they are failing miserably. I will do nothing other than essential shopping for the foreseeable future - my husband is still shielding and is refusing to go out at all and I have no intention of taking stupid risks around people with ineffective masks and potentially bringing the virus home to him.

Tweedle24 Sat 18-Jul-20 16:04:45

Jane10 No, of course we are not in an operating theatre but, I take the advice from the WHO website. I confess to having made the two layer masks shown everywhere on YouTube but, now make the three layer ones as recommended.
Visors have a place but, they only protect the wearer from getting the virus sprayed into their eyes or mouth so only effective if other people are wearing masks. If you want to protect other people you need to wear both

SuzannahM Sat 18-Jul-20 16:19:53

I can't remember where I read it although it was quite recent (it was a scientific journal site and written by a doctor) but in theory cloth masks should offer protection in both directions. What he said seems logical to me.

A lot has been made of the tiny size of the virus, but the virus is expelled in vapour when we breath, and it is the much larger vapour droplets that contain the virus that will be stopped by a cloth mask. From both directions.

The vapours will eventually sink into the cloth, with the virus, but if the mask has two or three layers (mine are three) it should be pretty safe for a couple of hours of shopping, and with social distancing and hand washing.

Assuming it fits properly. And has no holes. And is not worn on the head or round the neck instead of the nose and chin. And is not worn for a number of days without washing. And is not continually removed and put back on.

Furret Sat 18-Jul-20 21:04:50

Was in a very large Boots shop today. No one apart from staff and myself were wearing masks, shocking.

FarNorth Sat 18-Jul-20 21:57:25

Assuming all those things SuzannahM.
Unfortunately, I expect the great British public will blunder along incompetently as it likes to do.

Summerlove Sun 19-Jul-20 02:43:00

What I want to know
Where is the war time spirit so many were on about early on?? Many seem to be the same who fight masks.

It’s mind blowing.

Furret Sun 19-Jul-20 06:42:58

I hear people saying ‘I don’t listen to the news anymore because it’s so awful’ etc. So perhaps people genuinely don’t know or don’t care anymore.

Perhaps Boris is right (after all even he can’t be wrong all the time according to the law of averages) and it is up to local councils and local populations to be held accountable for their own actions.

Grannynannywanny Sun 19-Jul-20 09:20:42

Sent to me by a friend. All together now...

Alexa Sun 19-Jul-20 10:35:33

Eastern women who wear face coverings for all but eyes can send smiles so brilliant they are quite disconcerting.

Alexa Sun 19-Jul-20 10:36:58

is it possible a dampened face mask might stop some aerosol borne virus getting through?

Puzzler61 Sun 19-Jul-20 14:58:17

Excellent shop window message GrannyNW.
Gets the message across - and I’ll be singing it all day now!

Jane10 Sun 19-Jul-20 15:03:59

Alexa I'd have thought a dampened face mask would be less effective.

Puzzler61 Sun 19-Jul-20 17:12:13

Does anyone else feel it’s strange that the last historical episode where so many lives were lost was WW2
- and I believe the government issued gas masks to all.

During this pandemic we are all trying to do the best we can with little guidance of what’s best - surgical masks, cotton masks, face scarves, masks with filters, triple layer cotton masks. Why have we been left floundering like this when it’s so important ? ?

Puzzler61 Sun 19-Jul-20 17:13:37

BTW my question is in no way related to what political party are currently in power - so no rants about Boris please ?

Jane10 Sun 19-Jul-20 17:19:27

Caught off guard? More manufacturing in GB at the time? More compliant citizens? No Internet to spread all sorts of theories and ideas?

Jane10 Sun 19-Jul-20 17:20:04

I mean back at the time of WW2

Puzzler61 Sun 19-Jul-20 17:22:52

My gut feeling is that more people would comply if there was one clear message - but we all seem to be confused ? Well, I know I am jane .

seacliff Sun 19-Jul-20 17:24:44

With cloth masks, when you get home you remove it carefully and wash your hands. Should you then wash it before next use? 60 degrees I understand.

Or, can you leave it somewhere, say spare room, untouched for several days, to decontaminate, if that is possible.

And use a 2nd mask in interim. I know the virus stays on different surfaces for different lengths of time. I am just not sure what to do.

Puzzler61 Sun 19-Jul-20 17:28:55

I’ve 3 cotton ones seacliff and I wear one a day,
wash one a day,
and keep one in a sealed plastic bag in my car.
I’m unsure about the use of them too.

PamelaJ1 Mon 20-Jul-20 11:52:16

I’m also confused about visors. Better than masks or useless?I’ve read articles in newspapers that say one thing or another but there doesn’t seem to be a consensus of opinion.
I’ve tried to use both but it’s really difficult. I. Going to try the washing up liquid option this afternoon.
Hats off to those in the NHS who manage to work with al, their clobber on.
I have tried to discover how long the virus is active on fabric but haven’t found any useful information about that either.?