Gransnet forums

Chat

Face Masks in shops

(341 Posts)
LindyB Mon 13-Jul-20 10:08:23

How do other readers feel about wearing face masks in shops? We are fortunate enough that our daughter who lives nearby has insisted on doing our food shopping for us and what with the odd delivery we have not needed to go into a shop since lock down. I realise that we do need to start going out to shops soon, keeping as safe as we can. I was quite relieved when it was announced on Friday that Boris Johnson seemed to hint that wearing face masks might be made mandatory as Scotland and many other countries have done. I then heard Michael Gove say that wearing face masks should not be mandatory but rather should be worn to show good manners. My question is surely good manners do not come into it if I wear a face mask to protect others, surely I should be able to expect the same from everyone else to protect me. I know that face masks are not the only preventative measure but surely anything and everything that helps should be done.

quizqueen Tue 14-Jul-20 08:08:57

I'm not keen on them as my glasses steam up. I have a homemade one and a disposable one given to me at a doctor's appt they will have to do, but will only put them on at shop entrance and then remove them as soon as I leave. Insisting on this practice 5 months down the line is ridiculous, in my opinion, and when will it end1 We'll be due the next winter flu in a few months!

Lucca Tue 14-Jul-20 08:09:42

I’m getting the impression people spend a lot of time shopping.....

LullyDully Tue 14-Jul-20 08:11:24

Just got to persuade Mr LD that it is necessary as he is not keen and the major shopper for us both. Wish me luck.

I am amazed that after watching the world wearing masks for 4 months that suddenly we are being told to do so.

Granniesunite Tue 14-Jul-20 08:11:46

Love the nice comment maw...... Says it all for me really.

Dancinjay Tue 14-Jul-20 08:20:31

I was waiting for the flak, I did not say I wouldn't be wearing one, just not sure of their effectiveness.
We have been told for months that a badly worn mask is worse than not wearing one as if promotes a false sense of security. They are often not washed between uses, people fiddle with one (to adjust their spectacles or rub their noses and then touch objects that others will touch), the atmosphere within the mask is ideal for virus generation (warm wet).
I have noticed that if you put forward an opinion different from the vociferous few, you are castigated. I'll go and get my tin hat now before the next lot of bricks start flying.

Baggs Tue 14-Jul-20 08:20:34

getting the impression people spend a lot of time shopping

It's probably a wrong impression, lucca. The mask wearing law will make me even more reluctant than usual to enter shops. I hate shopping. Always have. But one has to buy food. Deliveries by supermarket are not an option for us because their delivery vans can't get to our house easily. Plus there aren't any slots available.

So, just mildly saying, maybe don't be judgmental just because someone expresses a dislike of face mask wearing ?

Baggs Tue 14-Jul-20 08:21:39

Spot on, dancingjay. The judgmentalism is a bit tiresome isn't it?

Ellianne Tue 14-Jul-20 08:21:47

More important to smile at the shop assistant than prevent the spread of a virus? Can’t you just say thank you instead. I despair.
I agree, Lucca, and maybe it will cut out all these silly platitudes shop assistants are trained to say,
"How's your day today?", "Have you got more shopping to do?", " That tin of chickpeas you're buying looks delicious!" etc.
I'm sure shop assistants have far more important things to think about now.

Ellianne Tue 14-Jul-20 08:25:05

I'm not being jugdemental * dancingjay*, I'm just turning it round to look at it from the shop assistant's angle.

Lucca Tue 14-Jul-20 08:26:56

Baggs

*getting the impression people spend a lot of time shopping*

It's probably a wrong impression, lucca. The mask wearing law will make me even more reluctant than usual to enter shops. I hate shopping. Always have. But one has to buy food. Deliveries by supermarket are not an option for us because their delivery vans can't get to our house easily. Plus there aren't any slots available.

So, just mildly saying, maybe don't be judgmental just because someone expresses a dislike of face mask wearing ?

I commented because so many posts mention the problems they appear to have while shopping, I assume they spend a long time in the shop, that’s all. I think I am entitled to do that ?

Of course a badly worn mask is not good but is that a reason to just not try something that could help ? They’ve been compulsory (not advised, compulsory) for months in other countries.

I feel strongly about how this country is reacting to Covid so I shall continue to express those strong feelings.

ginny Tue 14-Jul-20 08:31:38

I have made quite a few masks ( washable) for myself and family members. I’m not a ‘shopper’ but I do a food shop once a week locally. Yes, I wear a mask but I hate it. I feel as if I am slowly suffocating. So if you see someone racing around with a trolley and has manic eye peeping out of a pretty mask, you will know it is me.

Dancinjay Tue 14-Jul-20 08:33:45

Thanks Baggs smile

aggie Tue 14-Jul-20 08:35:51

I remember being fitted with a gas mask , it was supposed to look like Donald Duck , I couldn’t have been very old but do remember the horrible rubber smell and feeling as if I couldn’t breathe . These masks are a doddle compared to those

Ellianne Tue 14-Jul-20 08:38:53

Do you wear your glasses over or under the mask? Mine are metal framed and slip down the mask, I nearly lost them into the jacket potato section while rummaging. If I put them underneath then the mask isn't tight on my face to be effective. Maybe my nose is the wrong shape?

Dancinjay Tue 14-Jul-20 08:47:50

Lucca 'I feel strongly about how this country is reacting to Covid so I shall continue to express those strong feelings.'

As do I

Greeneyedgirl Tue 14-Jul-20 09:05:20

I think this should have been introduced weeks ago, but we seem to have been on the back foot throughout the epidemic, witnessed by the huge death toll we have had.

I went shopping in M&S food hall last week, was busy, queues were unable to distance as they stretched along the aisles. I was the only one with a mask.

They are uncomfortable, especially if you wear glasses, but it’s a small discomfort to put up with for the short time you are in a shop.

“The science” has definitely moved towards supporting mask wearing now that more is known about the nature of the spread of the virus.

Baggs Tue 14-Jul-20 09:05:48

I think wrong shaped (big) nose might be my problem too, ellianne. Even with the mask tucked under the bottom of the glasses, the lenses steam up. Hey ho.

BlueSky Tue 14-Jul-20 09:07:28

Absolutely MawB about time too!

bikergran Tue 14-Jul-20 09:12:41

Just wondering will children be made to wear them from a certain age if out shopping and if so how would they ever enforce it as they could never check childrens ages.

I do see a few children wearing them in our supermarket, but they are older ones maybe about 8/9.

Luckygirl Tue 14-Jul-20 09:23:18

There was an enormous American lady on TV yesterday proclaiming her right not to wear a mask - she is a member of the "Anti-mask Lobby" - apparently it is a thing over there. With her serious obesity I am sure she would be at greater risk if she caught covid. She is probably a member of the gun lobby too.

With such people around, what chance is there of eradicating the virus?

westendgirl Tue 14-Jul-20 09:24:18

It has been the practice for people in far eastern countries, where they have coped better with the virus, to wear masks. I think it's a case of getting used to wearing them . It's such a shame we have a wishy washy government who change their advice as the weather changes. I suppose the shop keepers will have to change their notices now. For goodness sake Johnson make up your mind and stick to it. this constant faffing does not help the nation's confidence.

Lucca Tue 14-Jul-20 09:25:52

bikergran

Just wondering will children be made to wear them from a certain age if out shopping and if so how would they ever enforce it as they could never check childrens ages.

I do see a few children wearing them in our supermarket, but they are older ones maybe about 8/9.

My grandchildren wear masks in shops. They are 3 and 5.

Lucca Tue 14-Jul-20 09:26:12

Dancinjay

Lucca 'I feel strongly about how this country is reacting to Covid so I shall continue to express those strong feelings.'

As do I

As do you? What ?

GagaJo Tue 14-Jul-20 09:30:34

dancingjay, they were lying about masks not being effective because we didn't have PPE available even for hospital staff.

You really can't follow what the government says. Even when we were in lockdown, they excused Cummings journey, saying he was within the guidelines. They make it up as they go along. You have to work it out for yourself and if you research it, the evidence says masks help.

It's pathetic that we can't trust our government ministers, but they've proved time and time again they haven't got a clue what they're doing.

GagaJo Tue 14-Jul-20 09:32:04

My 2 year old grandson wears one. He hates it but he'll do it.