Gransnet forums

Chat

Whatever happened to...........?

(109 Posts)
DanniRae Mon 13-Jul-20 12:14:46

This thread is about things that you hardly see /use/wear any more.
So.......
Motor bikes and side cars
Petticoats
Cravats
Spin dryers

Over to you ..........

MellowYellow Mon 13-Jul-20 12:18:58

Bidets??? grin

DiscoGran Mon 13-Jul-20 12:20:25

Double yolks in eggs?

Tapdance6 Mon 13-Jul-20 12:23:06

DanniRae. Liberty bodice with them dreaded rubber buttons.

bluebird243 Mon 13-Jul-20 12:24:24

Manual 'push' lawnmowers
Rag and Bone man
Fizzy drink van
Mangles
Izal toilet paper

kittylester Mon 13-Jul-20 12:27:14

We get our eggs from a local free range egg farm and get lots of double yolkers.

Nortsat Mon 13-Jul-20 12:28:11

Plastic folded rain hats in little pouches.

Leather writing cases with Basildon Bond writing paper.

I second Tapdance6 - Liberty bodices!

Calendargirl Mon 13-Jul-20 12:30:08

Radio Luxembourg.

‘Titbits’ magazine.

Wonderloaf bread.

Bubble cars.

Peep toe shoes.

Fly catcher sticky papers.

Kate1949 Mon 13-Jul-20 12:30:53

Steamrollers - oh the excitement when one rumbled down the street
The coalman with horse!

blossom14 Mon 13-Jul-20 12:32:46

Milk floats
Dirndl skirts
Scythes
tricycles

sodapop Mon 13-Jul-20 12:36:43

Fountain pens
Coppers for boiling the washing
Manicure sets
Fancy compacts for pressed powder

TwiceAsNice Mon 13-Jul-20 12:38:12

The corona man and the insurance man that your mum paid every Friday!

Lemon puff biscuits- I loved them!

Block mascara- put on with spit when I was a teenager

Swing boats and Helter Skelters

Vesta dried meals - thought they were marvellous at the time, wouldn’t dream of eating them now

Cream in a tin

Satchels- do children still use them they all seem to have individually chosen bags for school now

GardenerGran Mon 13-Jul-20 12:39:09

blossom14 my husband uses a scythe to cut our wild flower meadow! Not quite Ross Poldark but not bad either!

GardenerGran Mon 13-Jul-20 12:41:54

Twiceasnice my Dad was a ‘Man from the Pru’ and I still have my old leather satchel from school with boys names scrawled on it..

quizqueen Mon 13-Jul-20 12:51:23

I never see Johnny Depp or Paul Merton without a cravat! Also, the milk floats are still alive and kicking and trundling about at 5am in the morning usually. Manicure sets are sold in Boots, supermarkets, department stores; you are not looking in the right places

felice Mon 13-Jul-20 12:54:22

I have a lovely little Manicure set a German friend gave me for my 65th, I love using it.
Children are taught to use fountain pens in school here !! so we all use them sometimes.
The dry cleaning van which called on a Wednesday and returned on a Friday.

Kate1949 Mon 13-Jul-20 13:03:17

Bath cubes
Home perms
I remember wearing diamond mesh stockings

TwiceAsNice Mon 13-Jul-20 13:04:24

Gardener Gran our insurance man was from the Pru as well! He came for such a long time he and my dad became friends.

I do remember having a satchel but just haven’t seen one for ages except for the small “posh” ones for women

Kate1949 Mon 13-Jul-20 13:06:23

We used to carry our cookery ingredients to school in a gondola basket smile

Puzzler61 Mon 13-Jul-20 13:10:35

Letter racks - my mum and dad had one on the shelf, and my Aunt did.

tiredoldwoman Mon 13-Jul-20 13:10:36

The 'clubby book' - I used to have John England then Littlewoods . Neighbours would order stuff and I'd get commission .

Aldom Mon 13-Jul-20 13:11:53

I had five double yoked eggs out of a box of six from Sainsburys. I use my beautiful, leather cased manicure set regularly. It is 51 years old and was purchased when we lived in the Netherlands. I well remember my Liberty bodice, rubber buttons and tape suspenders, also with a rubber buttons. Our Prudential insurance man stayed for a cup of tea, as did the milk man on payment day. Remember Dolly tubs, and Monday being wash day for our mothers' generation. My mum moved on to an English Electric washer, with mangle in the early 1950's. Before that it was the 'copper' for boiling, then the tubs with ponser, before going through the mangle.

tiredoldwoman Mon 13-Jul-20 13:13:29

Encyclopaedia salesmen .

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 13-Jul-20 13:21:34

My dad had a sidecar and I remember going to the market with him every week when he went shopping

When I met my to be husband, he had a side car. He still uses a fountain pen. He also still uses the scythe to cut the meadow (occasionally).

I still get the occasional packet of Lemon Puff Biscuits from Morrisons. I also had a box of 6 eggs from there - all were double yolks. Couldn't believe it so took a photo of the cake I was making at time,

... Budge in a cage + stand. Mum had one.

Lexisgranny Mon 13-Jul-20 13:21:45

Ladies who sat in dry cleaners’ windows invisibly darning stockings (the darns were invisible, not the ladies or the stockings!)
Small circular combs with a hinge to hold pony tails
Elastic “waspie” belts.
Poppit beads that pulled apart to make bracelets, necklaces etc
Californian Poppies and Midnight in Paris scent, sold in Woolworths when staff served behind counters.
Boxes of embroidered hankies, with pictures of snowy mountains on the lids