Gransnet forums

Chat

Protective gloves when shopping

(118 Posts)
kittylester Thu 16-Jul-20 10:12:56

What is your opinion?

Lots of people seem to be wearing them when out and about but it seems pointless to me.

MerylStreep Thu 16-Jul-20 17:18:16

LullyDully
I know I shouldn't laugh at that image but I'm afraid I did.
Beyond ridiculous. The same with people in their cars with masks on.

TheFrugalPiggy Thu 16-Jul-20 17:28:59

I won't be wearing them unless I have to by law.

phoenix Thu 16-Jul-20 17:48:24

TheFrugalPiggy well, the "law" says you now have to in shops!

A friend who is a nurse posted on the village Facebook page that wearing gloves when going from shop to shop is akin to using the same condom with different partners! shock

Bleurgh!

Esspee Thu 16-Jul-20 18:04:49

In Scotland mask wearing was recommended some time ago in shops and compulsory on public transport. I found it distressing and actually felt panicked when wearing in the supermarket. Now it is compulsory in shops here I have got used to it but can’t wear one with my glasses on so they are perched on my head.
Lovely to see everyone complying up here. I asked a young man working in Morrisons how he was managing with his glasses and he gave me one with a wire to mould it to your face. I’ll be testing it out next week.

Gingster Thu 16-Jul-20 18:09:57

I always wear masks and gloves. As soon as I put my mask on, my nose itches. I’m a fidget anyway, so always fiddling with it.??

Esspee Thu 16-Jul-20 18:10:20

I do wear disposable gloves as the trolly handles surely are most likely to be infected. I remove the gloves properly when I get to my car and use sanitiser. The gloves remind me not to touch my face.

PinkCakes Thu 16-Jul-20 18:33:57

I don't wear gloves. Far better to wash hands before and after shopping or going anywhere.

MayBee70 Thu 16-Jul-20 18:43:35

I often wear Marigolds when gardening and, yes, you realise how much moisture comes out of your hands on a hot day when you take them off. I’m still disinfecting and quarantining anything that comes into the house and leave my outdoor shoes in the porch. I was expecting a parcel delivery today and it said they required a signature so I was well prepared by wearing white cotton gloves, my reading glasses and a mask. Turned out I didn’t have to sign for it but it did mean I was able to have a short conversation with the delivery driver. I do miss those sort of conversations: you know the sort where you get someone’s life history in 30 seconds. He’s going on holiday in two weeks and will have to wear a mask for 4 hours on the flight. And he has a budgie called Henry.

MayBee70 Thu 16-Jul-20 18:43:59

....I lied about the budgie....

songstress60 Fri 17-Jul-20 08:51:34

I wear a mask in fact I have always worn a mask when gardening due to being an asthma sufferer, but will NOT wear gloves even if ordered to. What is the point of using gel on your hands and wearing gloves. I have NO intention of wearing gloves. They are pointless

Oldmatilda Fri 17-Jul-20 08:55:28

Ditto, Oldwoman70.

TwoWolves Fri 17-Jul-20 08:56:17

No. They are as useless as facemasks.

WoodLane7 Fri 17-Jul-20 08:57:05

My understanding is that it is advised not to wear gloves
I haven't donned the face mask yet, can't say I will be looking forward to it and I will be keeping trips to supermarket strictly at 1 per week

Judyn Fri 17-Jul-20 08:58:03

Gloves spread any germs etc. It’s better to not wear gloves and use hand sanitizer while your out and try not to handle things.

polnan Fri 17-Jul-20 08:58:36

o.k. what does the gel do? the sanitizer? bacteria... we are so called , fightying a virus? tell me do!

and I struggle to wear a face mask... not been out in one yet,,lots of different reasons,,,, but I really don`t get all of this.

masks do not protect the wearer!!!!!

Nannapat1 Fri 17-Jul-20 08:59:03

I don't wear gloves, preferring hand sanitiser and hand washing. I've worn a mask when shopping throughout.

Judyn Fri 17-Jul-20 08:59:34

Agree! It’s like wearing the same condom with multiple partners!

4allweknow Fri 17-Jul-20 09:07:00

Never worn them and won't start. What's the difference in touching with gloves and touching with hands. Both can pick up the virus and transfer from item to item. Gloves have to be removed and disposed of ( plastic waste) whilst hands can be washed. Antiseptic wipes do not remove Covid 19. If gloves make you feel good then wear them.

Greeneyedgirl Fri 17-Jul-20 09:08:29

polnan the gel will be active against virus’ if it is at least 60% alcohol content, even if it says “antibacterial”.

Even if masks do not protect the wearer, and there is some evidence that they are more protective of others, if we all wear them we are (unselfishly) protecting each other.

Lulubelle500 Fri 17-Jul-20 09:14:43

Don't agree with Phoenix's post - my two best friends are nurses and they are all for gloves! Doesn't affect the handwashing thing at all. I've always been a handwasher, never catch anything and since DH retired and I persuaded him to do it he hasn't had a cold for years!

Thecatshatontgemat Fri 17-Jul-20 09:15:08

Gloves are utterly pointless when shopping. They pick up any germs, exactly the same as bare hands!
Just sanitize your hands when leaving the store (if provided), and wash the hell out of them when you get home.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 17-Jul-20 09:17:40

No I don’t

Mollygo Fri 17-Jul-20 09:23:25

No. I did at first, but now sanitise before and after shopping, wash my hands back home and spray/wipe down the shopping.

Furret Fri 17-Jul-20 09:25:22

It’s up to each individual

Theoddbird Fri 17-Jul-20 09:27:04

Pointless. They are no different to skin. Just keep washing hands and using hand sanitizer.