Gransnet forums

Chat

What do you keep in your loft

(104 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Thu 16-Jul-20 11:48:38

For me it’s very little at the mo, after decluttering. Just my Ac books from school from infants, Christmas decs, wallpaper, a big trunk of childhood memories and a roll of carpet

Happygirl79 Fri 24-Jul-20 10:05:11

Nothing at all

GrannySomerset Wed 22-Jul-20 19:38:59

When we moved here five years ago I vowed not to take the contents of the large loft in the house we were leaving. After AC had finally removed those of their possessions which they wanted, we filled four skips. Loft here now empty apart from insulation and neither of us has ventured into it. The garage, however, is another matter entirely ...

Keffie12 Wed 22-Jul-20 10:51:47

Absolutely nothing, zilch. Been here 17 years in this house. I'm a minimalist and I don't do keeping for the sake of it. Christmas stuff is stored in a spare cupboard in our bedroom

Clevedon Sat 18-Jul-20 11:00:27

Nothing and it feels so good ?

Shropshirelass Sat 18-Jul-20 09:27:05

Too much, I need to get up there to empty it before I can't do it! Otherwise it will stay there for posterity!

suzywhoo Fri 17-Jul-20 22:07:01

Well when I 1st saw this post I thought I daren't answer gransnet members are so tidy and clutter free but after reading on I will admit to having everything but the kitchen sink up there including saddle and bridle I haven't had a horse for 35years and maybe if I look closely there maybe a kitchen sink blush

Huitson1958 Fri 17-Jul-20 21:24:42

I tell my children it’s their inheritance....they seem keen to make me outlive them !!!

Dollymc2 Fri 17-Jul-20 18:54:40

Just suitcases, a pram/pushchair, a highchair and baby toys
I've never been up there either jane

Jani31 Fri 17-Jul-20 18:51:15

Apparently the loft of a park home is small and unable to take much weight. A Christmas tree, 3 boxes of Christmas decorations and a roll of carpet. The garage however is a different matter !!!!

JaneRn Fri 17-Jul-20 17:22:47

I have lived in this house for over 40 years and have never been in the loft! A combination of vertigo and fear of ladders!

Janetashbolt Fri 17-Jul-20 16:55:04

tons of my husband's shit, sorry about the language, best discription. I am a minamalist, I have my own room, only essential personal items, rest of the house is cluttered with his stuff.

faye17 Fri 17-Jul-20 16:32:11

Years ago I removed the tongue & groove ceiling we had in out kitchen/diner and I used it to put a floor in the attic. Everything had been stored/thrown up there during the past 35 years so it was a mess. I cleared it all out, bought plastic crates for my extensive Christmas decorations & had a ladder opening fitted. I keep the heavy crates of Christmas lights in my garden shed but everything else is now such a pleasure to access from my well-organized attic. I also store our luggage & some favourite toys which are slowly coming down for our first grandson. As our house doesn't have a garage we have 2 garden sheds - when you open the door of my hubby's shed you have to stand back for fear of what will tumble out on top of you. Mine on the other hand is a well-organizeds storage space - couldn't live any other way smile

MamaB247 Fri 17-Jul-20 16:00:32

We have two lofts, one side is full of camping and holiday stuff which we must get round to sorting out and selling because due to disability and I'll was camping isn't really best idea for me. The other side is Christmas decorations and any extra clutter hid away in boxes that I can manage to put out of way my hubby has OCD and collects the most random things, including gnomes (on display in house not garden) we always had an agreement to out a few bits away around Christmas time when we get decorations down. Then he thinks they re-surface when decorations go back up. But they don't really one or two small bits do but a box always remains filed away in the deep dark rafters and he starts a fresh collecting bout.

sparklingsilver28 Fri 17-Jul-20 15:24:31

After 46 years loft content enough to furnish another house. On the move and had to be emptied - new residence gloriously empty loft and will remain that way because there is no ladder. Yippee!!

quizqueen Fri 17-Jul-20 14:32:15

I was going to move about 5 years ago so did a mega clear up in the loft then I decided to stay put and extend. There's mostly old toys and dressing up clothes, in case the grandchildren ever need them, and packaging up there.

3nanny6 Fri 17-Jul-20 14:24:15

Nansypansy , Blossom14, and Humbertbear I am so jealous about your lofts !!!!!!!!!!!
Perhaps one day I will get mine done like that it would be
fantastic.

Humbertbear Fri 17-Jul-20 13:46:30

My daughter.
25 years ago we had a loft conversion and turned the loft into a small flat. Best thing we ever did (apart from the downstairs extension which doubled the size of the lounge and gave us a down stairs loo).
I’m not boasting - we paid for it with a small inheritance. The only money we have ever had that we didn’t earn ourselves.

JadeOlivia Fri 17-Jul-20 13:23:10

Nothing at all, xmas decorations are in garage in big transparent plastic boxes. Anything else in suitcases in garage ......

Happysexagenarian Fri 17-Jul-20 13:21:35

I never go in our loft - don't like the spiders. But DH tells me it's stuffed to the gunnels with my crafting materials, those which I couldn't get in my craft room, two sheds and the summerhouse. Also toys, Christmas decorations, books, ACs belongings and inherited stuff. DH keeps threatening to throw a lot of it out, but then finds that something he's about to buy is already up there just waiting to be used. His shed is similarly 'well stocked'.

JuliaM Fri 17-Jul-20 13:17:47

There is very little kept in my loft, a few keepsakes from my childhood and teenage years, a box of spare pots and pans, and thats about it!
We do have a small storeroom on our upstairs landing where I keep items like the carpet shampoo machine, and a stash of catering roll which I bulk buy about once a year online, it saves me a small fortune on having to buy kitchen rolls and Cloths for cleaning down the surfaces compaired to supermarket prices.

Kim19 Fri 17-Jul-20 12:45:47

Happily, I'm another who has had it emptied. A few years after my husband died, I realised I hadn't been up there in all that time. I then thought, if I hadn't needed/wanted anything up there in all that time, then I simply didn't need it. I asked one of my sons to come and clear it whilst I was on holiday. I knew if I saw certain items, I might have capitulated. I'm a softie. In all these years I've only ever wanted two items. The picture I replaced and the rocking horse????? No regrets whatsoever and huge relief in general.

Tweedle24 Fri 17-Jul-20 12:35:24

I used to keep Christmas tree and decorations and, when really organised (rarely!), out of season clothes. When diagnosed with Parkinson’s, my dear husband brought it all down saying that he would not be able to get up there for much longer and did not me going up there and falling. Now I have a garden shed full of clutter.

Celeste22 Fri 17-Jul-20 12:31:42

Huge loft, containing our grown up children's toys which come down when the grandchildren come to stay (theyre coming tomorrow, yippee!) seasonal clothes, Christmas tree, decorations & gifts I buy throughout the year, suitcases, folders of seasonal music etc etc. My husband has it all organised and can find something quickly. Our beautiful 40 year old pram d cot will go back up next week after the children go home as DGS has just turned 2 so last chance for sleeping in it.

blossom14 Fri 17-Jul-20 12:22:05

Turned into a bedroom with oak staircase 30 years ago. Still use store cupboards under the eaves for Christmas decs and old LP records.
My teenage DGS love hanging out up there

Purplepixie Fri 17-Jul-20 11:36:08

Lots and lots of junk that must be sorted - one day.