Gransnet forums

Chat

OK, where is it?

(145 Posts)
Chewbacca Thu 16-Jul-20 12:42:41

How many places are there in a kitchen for a 10" bread knife to disappear into? It was in the knife block yesterday morning; I know this because I used it to slice the loaf for breakfast toast. This morning it had gone. I've searched the dishwasher, drawers, the bin, the bread bin. Nada. So.... who's got the bread knife?

Bathsheba Wed 22-Jul-20 23:14:05

Reins found! DH tidied everything away into the toy box, except the saddle. I assumed therefore (bad move - never assume!) that he would have left the reins out as well, but no - they were in the toy box ?

Keffie12 Wed 22-Jul-20 11:07:22

I still have the sock and cutlery fairy. I do still gave one adult son living at home though.

My late h6sband was the finder of yjings. I get in a fuss when I lose anything. I now just say "David please put it where I can see it"

Always works too

Auntieflo Tue 21-Jul-20 11:24:38

DOG. Apologies

Auntieflo Tue 21-Jul-20 11:24:21

Bathsheba, have you got a cat or sog, who likes collecting things?

Bathsheba Tue 21-Jul-20 09:36:54

OK, so who's nicked the reins from my GD's barbie doll's horse? She was here yesterday and took the reins and saddle off, forgot to take them home and I promised I'd bring them round to her today. But the reins have gone missing. I know exactly where she was when she took them off, and she had no reason to take them into another room. They must be in the same room somewhere, only they're not.

Come on then, own up whoever took them, because I'm going to have to explain this to a very tearful little girl later if you don't return them!

Lexisgranny Mon 20-Jul-20 23:12:20

I know exactly where my lost things are, they have been borrowed by Polly, our house poltergeist. Regrettably Polly does hang on to them for some considerable time, but does return them eventually in places where they can be found easily. At the moment she has developed a liking for my iPad pen, and frankly it’s getting beyond a joke. She once borrowed a travel brochure and returned it to the middle of my bedroom floor, which had been hoovered that morning. On another occasion it was an a ring, that I thought I had lost at the swimming pool, that was discovered a week later in the middle of the hearth, despite the fact the fire had been on each evening. My DH can’t stand losing things and has been known to turn the house upside down for a Bic ballpoint pen, he attacks the search with some vigour, but never finds the missing objects until Polly decides she has finished with them- she has a lot to answer for.

V3ra Mon 20-Jul-20 22:56:36

My original wedding ring broke after I caught it on a window handle. It was quite narrow. I have the two pieces in my jewellery box.
We've bought two more rings since, while on holiday, and I've lost them both. They were wider and had to be taken off to wash my hands, so I can only presume I left them somewhere.
I suggested we buy another one but my husband refused, saying I'd only lose it.
My friend took pity on me when her aunties, who collected jewellery, died and she offered me one of their rings. It's a perfect fit and very similar to my original one.
I didn't dare wear it for a long time, just kept it for best. I do wear it now but never take it off.
My husband didn't ask where it came from!

POBCOB Mon 20-Jul-20 22:24:08

I’ve just packed all our knives for moving so maybe I packed yours as well by mistake ?

NanKate Sat 18-Jul-20 21:28:27

I found the remains of a beef sandwich in our bed ?. I sneaked up to bed with my sarnie one lunchtime. I think I was disturbed by the phone and never went back.

Loislovesstewie Sat 18-Jul-20 21:14:30

If anyone has found the paddle from my ice cream maker in their underwear drawer could they please return it?

Marydoll Sat 18-Jul-20 15:09:01

Eazbee ? It's my favourite and I have searched every drawer, wardrobe and cupboard.
I would NEVER throw it out!

Sorry I haven't got your snood, have you looked in Chewy's washing machine? wink

eazybee Sat 18-Jul-20 14:38:25

You will know her/him. They are wearing my chartreuse colour, ( I like to be accurate) Phase eight linen jumper!

Marydoll, I have it! I bought it from their sale last summer.
Have you got my beige knitted snood/twisty scarf?

Bellanonna Sat 18-Jul-20 14:03:17

This is so funny, probably because it resonates so well!

lemongrove Sat 18-Jul-20 13:49:12

pat9

I too have a "black hole" in my house. Last year I replaced the battery in my car key. I took the top off, put the battery in and when I went to put the top back on it had disappeared. I had not moved more than 2 feet and I have not found it since. Usually things do materialise later, buy not this. I seem to spend half the day looking for things though.

True, there is a black hole, but sadly it’s in our memory rather than in the house.grin
You may have slipped the top into a pocket, or it rolled off wherever it was and under something, or, or, or.......
I do that sort of thing all the time, you have to be a detective and review all your moves and even what you were wearing.
DH lost his favourite Winter beanie hat....we bought another.
The original turned up in my coat pocket.blush

kittylester Sat 18-Jul-20 11:49:22

We just found the outside scissors in a tool belt (that dh swears he never, ever wears!)

The replacements came last week.

MellowYellow Sat 18-Jul-20 11:27:53

My nephew has just received a Congrats on your new baby card from my son, sent from Cornwall to London. The 'new baby' is now five years old!! So where on earth was the card hiding for five years?!

pat9 Sat 18-Jul-20 11:20:44

I too have a "black hole" in my house. Last year I replaced the battery in my car key. I took the top off, put the battery in and when I went to put the top back on it had disappeared. I had not moved more than 2 feet and I have not found it since. Usually things do materialise later, buy not this. I seem to spend half the day looking for things though.

sweetcakes Sat 18-Jul-20 10:31:28

My blue silicone pastry brush ?????

Llamedos13 Sat 18-Jul-20 03:57:04

I hunted high and low for my sunglasses only to pass a mirror and spot them on top of my head.

Huitson1958 Fri 17-Jul-20 21:34:53

The borrowers are at it again

glammagran Fri 17-Jul-20 20:27:25

I’m digressing from the topic a little. At the end of last November I posted Christmas presents to my grandchildren who live in The Netherlands via Hermes. Parcel did not arrive and in February I was reimbursed after much kerfuffle. In mid March my parcel was delivered back to my home, totally bashed up and labelled as undeliverable. I thought I’d send by Parcelforce but then lockdown happened. Last week DD2 posted for me and it arrived at their home yesterday. Just hope the clothes included still fit after 7.5 months!!

Merryweather Fri 17-Jul-20 19:05:04

The ghost!
It definitely is in this house
I can be frantically searching fo something and not find it for days- if I ask the ghost it reappears exactly where I thought the item was in the first place but wasn’t. Knives, clothing, books, stationary etc anything can disappear. My partner has started to notice it too.

Cambia Fri 17-Jul-20 19:00:05

I have just spent an hour looking for my ring.....inside my rubber glove!

justwokeup Fri 17-Jul-20 18:54:52

Bathsheba, you can get dressmaking scissors engraved with dire warnings like ‘fabric or death’ which I think is entirely reasonable! Glad you found your knife Chewbacca, but if there is an Edward Scissorhands about I’d like to know where my garden scissors are. Perhaps I’ll dig them up with all the plastic farm animals one day.

Chewbacca Fri 17-Jul-20 18:24:55

It's going to take me a while to get over rummaging about in my compost heap mrscake. I still don't feel clean yet!