Gransnet forums

Chat

I bought a notebook on a whim but it poses the question of what to use it for...

(66 Posts)
FlyingHandbag Fri 17-Jul-20 19:19:58

Hi all,
I bought the notebook in the picture as I liked the colour and a relative has one in a different colour and kept saying how good it was and now I don't know what to use it for and neither does she. Does anybody have any suggestions?X

Peardrop50 Sun 19-Jul-20 15:36:02

lemongrove

Keep a list of all the times you trip up and your handbag goes flying?

very funny

JackyB Sun 19-Jul-20 15:32:03

I'm trying to train myself to write more stuff down for which a notebook would be useful.

For example, you have been chatting on the phone to someone and they have told you about their holiday or something they have bought. Two days later you can't for the life of you remember what they said.

If I had a note of these things, I could go back and check and not have to kick myself for forgetting.

It will also come in useful if I start to get forgetful like my mother. If you can get into the habit early, I reckon, you will carry on doing it when you really get forgetful.

I'm off to buy a notebook tomorrow!

FlyingHandbag Sat 18-Jul-20 13:37:09

Thank you to all of you who gave helpful advice! X

FindingNemo15 Sat 18-Jul-20 12:54:07

I love notebooks, in fact all stationery and think I probably have enough for the rest of my life.

My only problem is, why do I still have loads of bits of paper and post its all over the place as reminders when I could easily put them in one of my notebooks?

Marydoll Sat 18-Jul-20 12:44:22

I think that's the point of FH's threads! grin

BlueSky Sat 18-Jul-20 12:14:34

Wow Flying your threads attract a lot of responses! I'm lucky if a couple of kind souls answer mine! grin

Witzend Sat 18-Jul-20 11:48:59

My notebook is usually a bog standard exercise book, mostly used for lists.

E.g. stuff I need to do or buy before a certain date, e.g. when guests are coming to stay

Things to do before going away, things to take or pack,

Around early November (obv.) a lot of lists of thing I need to do or buy before C-word.

MerylStreep Sat 18-Jul-20 11:14:37

I'm 74 and the first thing I thought of was, a computer. When I read what to use it for I thought what do you think you use a notebook for?

annep1 Sat 18-Jul-20 11:05:35

I have a notebook all about my mother. When I remember little incidents from my childhood I record them as little stories.

eazybee Sat 18-Jul-20 10:26:09

about your computer, how to....

eazybee Sat 18-Jul-20 10:24:45

Everything:
Recipes.
Things to do
Birthdays, dates not to forget.
Useful addresses: plumbers, emergency numbers.
Important things about you computer, How to...
Books you intend to read.
Things you want to buy
Wish list.
Christmas card list, menus, presents you think of in August
Arrangements for things you organise: ie: quiz night, Leaver's Do, coffee morning, gluten-free meals for that friend.
Clever quotes.

I live by by notebooks, started when I was working,
Unfortunately, I did have eleven spiral bound unfinished ones from Paperchase, now reduced to five during lockdown

BlueSky Sat 18-Jul-20 08:59:47

MamaCaz you must be younger than most of us on here to think of small computers first when notebook is mentioned! wink

Audun Sat 18-Jul-20 08:34:00

My granddaughter gave me a beautiful notebook with a cover which she had designed, called ‘Blooms of Joy’, it makes me feel happy just to look at it, so I took a while to decide what to use it for. Now I am filling it with poems and quotes both new and familiar, which I love. It is full of joy, and comfort, poignancy and memories, and I absolutely love it. One of my best presents ever!

MamaCaz Sat 18-Jul-20 08:33:09

FarNorth

Small computer MamaCaz?
Absolutely not.

Yes, as in an extremely lightweight personal computer.

Well, I did ask if it was just me, and the answer to that question seems to be a definite "yes" grin

Puddelchen Sat 18-Jul-20 08:29:38

I use a notebook for present lists, what I have bought for everyone for every occasion.

timetogo2016 Sat 18-Jul-20 08:28:37

I love note books.
I have one in the lounge/bedroom/kitchen and handbag.
I rarely forget things now so they are very usefull.

Marydoll Sat 18-Jul-20 08:25:32

Oh it is my favourite, linen jumper, * Auntieflo*, which disappeared before lockdown and I'm NOT happy about it!!!
After all, I only have drawers and drawers of alternative sweaters, but I'm now fixated on this one!!! ?

Auntieflo Sat 18-Jul-20 08:19:58

Callistemon and Marydoll grin

My light bulb moments are few and far between these days, I think they've disappeared with Marydolls chartreuse cardigan.
If it wasn't Marydoll, then apologies.

See what I mean!

FarNorth Sat 18-Jul-20 08:15:53

I've seen it recommended to write 'Morning Pages' to help improve one's creativity.

You just write 2 or 3 pages every morning, of whatever comes in to your head. It doesn't have to make any sense.

Apparently some people can't resist buying notebooks, btw, and have a hoard of them.

I like notebooks but usually only buy one if I have a purpose for it.

FarNorth Sat 18-Jul-20 08:10:45

Small computer MamaCaz?
Absolutely not.

Puzzler61 Sat 18-Jul-20 07:36:51

I like pretty notebooks FlyingH. One has favourite recipes in (don’t know if you cook?) and I’ve told DD1 she can have it when I pop off.
The others are well, just notes, as I can be forgetful, so write everything down. (You might use computerised memo‘s ?)
Paperchase do pretty cover notebooks.

MamaCaz Sat 18-Jul-20 07:34:12

Am I the only one who saw the thread title and was expecting it to be about small computers?
My first thought was, why on earth would anyone (in this case, it seemed, two people) buy one of those just on a whim! grin

Lisagran Sat 18-Jul-20 07:23:16

Homework diary
Sketches of onesies you might buy
Make a note of sale dates in Shoezone

Calendargirl Sat 18-Jul-20 06:39:22

Definitely an accident book.

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 18-Jul-20 06:07:30

It’s the first time I’ve heard of a relative recommending a good notebook, makes me wonder what a bad notebook is like.