Gransnet forums

Chat

Judgement

(94 Posts)
ginny Wed 22-Jul-20 17:26:56

Yesterday , I enjoyed lunch n the garden of a very nice pub garden. All very well managed re. Corona virus.
I had just been to the ‘loo’ and as I wandered back to our table I heard two women , probably around late sixties in age , talking about a young lad sitting on his own with a drink.
The conversation disparaged his blue hair, his beard and his ear ring and the fact that they were sure he didn’t have a job and probably was on benefits.
That young lad was my 17 year old DGS who was treating me to a belated birthday lunch, paid for by his own hard earned money. He received an award last month for ‘commitment above and beyond’. He is the kindest chap you could meet and had spent the morning playing catch and football with his 4 year old cousin.
Those two woman may not have had blue hair but they certainly had red faces after my little chat with them.

GeorgyGirl Fri 24-Jul-20 12:27:51

Well done Ginny, maybe they will realise they can't judge a book by its cover.

Grosvenor Fri 24-Jul-20 11:48:44

During the holidays, when I was studying for an honours degree, I worked in Woolworths on a counter on my own. A disdainful customer informed me that I wouldn't be able to understand what she wanted and demanded to see the manager. Her daughter shrank in embarrassment behind her - we'd been in the sixth form together and she knew I was quite bright.

Kim19 Fri 24-Jul-20 11:47:42

Well done, Ginny, what I admire most is your calmness and presence of mind. Many people would have been angry and responded accordingly. Stony ground. Your demeanour (as well as the facts, of course) won the day. I salute you and wish I was always that quick thinking in adversity.

Leah50 Fri 24-Jul-20 11:42:13

My beautiful dread-locked daughter held the door open at Debenhams for a woman exiting with a buggy & two children. The little boy said "Look at that lady's big hair", the woman replied "that's what you get for taking drugs!" I'm still wondering...

Gingergirl Fri 24-Jul-20 11:34:20

All comments were governed by appearance. I wouldn’t dwell on it and how lovely that he took you out for a meal!?

3nanny6 Fri 24-Jul-20 11:34:03

They were just two ageing ladies with nothing better to do than judge people. Obviously they didn't have a lovely grand-son like you have.

Jillybird Fri 24-Jul-20 11:21:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Estrellita Fri 24-Jul-20 11:12:15

Well done ginny!

ginny Fri 24-Jul-20 11:11:04

Thanks for all the replies.

EllanVannin Fri 24-Jul-20 11:00:32

Half the time when I happen to speak to someone, I couldn't tell you afterwards what they wore, because I look into their faces and not how they're dressed. It matters not to me.

bongobil Fri 24-Jul-20 10:41:19

how lovely of this young lad to do this for you, horrible women nothing better to do, glad you spoke to them though!

Quizzer Fri 24-Jul-20 10:23:38

Well done! Too many people think they can make loud disparaging comments with impunity. They should be called to account!

crazyH Fri 24-Jul-20 10:23:04

Well done Ginny ?

justanovice Fri 24-Jul-20 10:19:35

Can I just add my very well done Ginny to all the the rest.

Angeleyes58xx Fri 24-Jul-20 10:12:10

Good for you Ginny, you told them, I bet they had red faces.
Love n hugs ❤️??xx

ladymuck Fri 24-Jul-20 10:12:00

How satisfying!

Thecatshatontgemat Fri 24-Jul-20 10:11:42

Bloody well done!
A lesson to all of us to not judge by appearances.
I hope those rude old bags went off smarting.
Excellent ?

Craftycat Fri 24-Jul-20 10:09:30

Oh good for you & I bet you enjoyed every minute.
He sounds a lovely young man.

grandMattie Fri 24-Jul-20 09:58:52

Congratulations, ginny. And well done to your grandson! Young people are mostly lovely, kind and hardworking despite blue hair earrings and beards...

Forestflame Fri 24-Jul-20 09:54:55

Good on you Ginny ?.
I hate it when people judge others on their appearance ?. As another poster pointed out they were probably jealous of his lovely blue hair.

B9exchange Fri 24-Jul-20 09:46:46

I had to take my adult son to A and E when he became so dizzy he couldn't stand up. DiL doesn't like hospitals so asked me to take him. When I picked him up he was wearing a beanie hat, old t shirt, frayed jeans and crocs, he had been working on the bathroom floor. Getting him into the car was difficult as he could barely move.

A and E took one look at him and assumed he was drunk, or a drug addict, without even examining him. When I insisted they couldn't ignore him, they directed us to the GP triage service across the car park.

We were beginning to get the same reaction there, but I think the combination of my sadly rather cut glass accent, and the fact that his occupation was an actuary meant at last we did get in to see a doctor. He was furious that A and E had rejected him and I had had to drag him across the car park in a wheel chair. (They had refused to let me use one of their wheelchairs) Turned out he had a raging ear infection which had gone into his inner ear, hence the loss of balance.

So even hospitals can be guilty of prejudging!

clareken Fri 24-Jul-20 09:44:58

On holiday with my DM, DDs and DN who is between my DDs in age. Girls are dark haired, he was very blonde. I was dark haired too. Two old dears (sorry ladies and gents) commented that he could not have the same father. DM overheard them, and said, rather sharply, that he doesn't have the same mother either! How they blushed! Lol

jenpax Fri 24-Jul-20 09:41:17

Oh Ginny that’s awful!
I get so angry at judgemental people! My poor DH has very severe mental health issues, and often looks a bit odd as he doesn’t like his wild hair being cut and wears mismatched weather inappropriate clothing. The number of times I have seen people look down their noses at him because he doesn’t look smart and “normal”! Yet he’s highly educated, funny (sometimes) kind and very intelligent however many narrow minded people can’t see beyond his appearance, and see fit to judge him!
I too have taken people to task! especially when he gets spoken down to or disparaged.
Good got you and hope those vile women were ashamed of themselves!

b1zzle Fri 24-Jul-20 09:40:24

Oh, Well Done, Ginny!

Jennifer62 Fri 24-Jul-20 09:38:34

Well done :-)