Gransnet forums

Chat

Judgement

(93 Posts)
ginny Wed 22-Jul-20 17:26:56

Yesterday , I enjoyed lunch n the garden of a very nice pub garden. All very well managed re. Corona virus.
I had just been to the ‘loo’ and as I wandered back to our table I heard two women , probably around late sixties in age , talking about a young lad sitting on his own with a drink.
The conversation disparaged his blue hair, his beard and his ear ring and the fact that they were sure he didn’t have a job and probably was on benefits.
That young lad was my 17 year old DGS who was treating me to a belated birthday lunch, paid for by his own hard earned money. He received an award last month for ‘commitment above and beyond’. He is the kindest chap you could meet and had spent the morning playing catch and football with his 4 year old cousin.
Those two woman may not have had blue hair but they certainly had red faces after my little chat with them.

Beechnut Wed 22-Jul-20 17:33:18

??

janeainsworth Wed 22-Jul-20 17:38:23

Well done ginny?

Luckygirl Wed 22-Jul-20 17:42:00

Oh well chatted! I would love to have been a fly on the wall!!! grin

Lucca Wed 22-Jul-20 17:54:10

Oh wow ...details please! What did you say to them?

Greenfinch Wed 22-Jul-20 17:54:37

What a lovely young man. You are right to be very proud of him and good on him for being himself.

Lucca Wed 22-Jul-20 17:57:04

My DIL would I am Sure prompt similar judgemental comments as she wears rather odd clothes at times and has quite a few tattoos and a nose ring! She is however a very talented girl who runs her own business is very committed to all matters eco and is a very kind daughter in law and a fabulous mother to my DGC.

Callistemon Wed 22-Jul-20 17:59:05

Well done ginny.

Smileless2012 Wed 22-Jul-20 17:59:31

Good for you ginnysmile.

annodomini Wed 22-Jul-20 18:06:21

Well done, Ginny. Let's hope that will be the last time those women let appearances cloud their judgement. My DS1 had shoulder-length hair when he was 16 with burgundy low-lights, plus and earring. Now he has a shaved head and a rather attractive tattoo, but then, he is now 49!

TrendyNannie6 Wed 22-Jul-20 18:06:40

I would have had a word like you did, but there are many people who judge others for having their own style, never judge a book by its cover

annodomini Wed 22-Jul-20 18:07:42

Wish I could edit that, I meant to say that his skinhead appearance conceals a highly respectable and responsible professional and father to three.

Chewbacca Wed 22-Jul-20 18:09:23

Love it ginny, bet they were mortified to be caught out! grin

ginny Wed 22-Jul-20 18:10:40

Lucca , I politely told them what I told you above and then walked away. They we’re obviously embarrassed and left soon after. Hopefully they may think before making snap judgements again.

Squiffy Wed 22-Jul-20 18:17:06

Oh, well done Ginny! ..... and well done to your lovely GS, who sounds like a terrific young man!

I hope I have your courage, Ginny! If a similar situation occurred with my GCs I'd like to think that I'd do the same, but I'm not sure that I'd have the nerve. There again, I am braver when it comes to sticking up for others than I am when it comes to sticking up for myself!

ginny Wed 22-Jul-20 19:08:26

I don’t think I would have said anything if they had been talking about me. It’s a case of say what you like about me but don’t criticise those I love.

farview Wed 22-Jul-20 19:12:09

Well done ginny hate people who look down their noses at anybody!!

GrannySomerset Wed 22-Jul-20 19:17:25

I learned my lesson when lost in Cardiff en route to a WI event. I pulled into a petrol station to ask where I was and a lad paying for fuel, shaven head and covered in tattoos, said “You follow me, love, I’ll get you there” and did. In my narrow minded view he was the sort of man I would cross the road to avoid, and I learned that day not to make snap judgements based on appearance.

Sar53 Wed 22-Jul-20 20:47:30

Well done Ginny, that made me chuckle. Well done to your DGS, he sounds like a lovely, caring young man.

BlueSky Wed 22-Jul-20 21:29:15

Well done*Ginny*! One of my DGS is exactly like yours and I'm sure prompts similar comments, which lucky for them, I've never overheard! angry

welbeck Wed 22-Jul-20 22:28:01

bet they were jealous of his lovely blue hair.

Eloethan Thu 23-Jul-20 00:46:34

Well done ginny for having the courage to put them straight. I hope I would have done the same, though I can imagine my voice would have been shaking with emotion. It must have been very hurtful to hear such nasty assumptions made about your grandson (he sounds lovely) and I hope they felt suitably ashamed.

honeyrose Thu 23-Jul-20 00:51:50

Your grandson sounds lovely and a very thoughtful lad. I hope those women felt well and truly ashamed of being so judgemental.

Hithere Thu 23-Jul-20 01:04:50

Well done Ginny!

kittylester Thu 23-Jul-20 07:24:38

Well done ginny!

I've mentioned previously that our daughter worked in Budgens while she was at Oxford. One day she heard a mother tell her daughter that if she didn't work hard at school she would only be able to get a job in Budgens. Unfortunately, I wasn't there!