Gransnet forums

Chat

Dog mess

(20 Posts)
Grandmabatty Thu 23-Jul-20 10:55:06

Yet again this morning someone has let their dog do its business in the flower bed in my front garden. That makes about six times in the last two weeks. I'm disappointed as I had recently had the front garden completely revamped and it looks nice. The neighbours are generally nice people too. I have a fence but no gate which is probably why it's happening. Until I can rectify the lack of gate, does anyone have suggestions that will deter the mangy beast or beasts? They must be doing it in the dead of night as I never catch them! ☺

Laughterlines Thu 23-Jul-20 10:57:32

Sure it’s not a wild animal such as a Fox?

Wheniwasyourage Thu 23-Jul-20 10:59:51

I believe that something strong-smelling like pepper might help. I have tried bleach on the pavement in front of our gate where we found deposits for a while, and it did seem to help, at least until the rain washed it away. You could try anything with a smell - mustard?

MissAdventure Thu 23-Jul-20 11:00:46

Cayenne pepper sprinkled about will deter the phantom pooper without doing them any harm.

Grandmabatty Thu 23-Jul-20 11:13:07

Thanks for the suggestions. Bleach or cayenne pepper is a good idea. It's definitely not a fox and definitely dog mess. I've had dogs and one in particular loved rolling in fox droppings!

Wheniwasyourage Thu 23-Jul-20 11:15:49

Let us know how you get on. Good luck!

BBbevan Thu 23-Jul-20 11:18:49

A row of pointed bamboo kebab sticks ?

Esspee Thu 23-Jul-20 11:19:06

I have a grass strip in front of my house which I maintain as the council haven’t been cutting the grass. People bring their animals to defecate there and even although most of them pick it up it still means that when I collect the grass clippings there are smears of dog mess.
Why do normally respectable people do this?
Every house in this area has a garden.

Grandmabatty Thu 23-Jul-20 11:28:12

It is sad when people allow their dog to make a mess, don't lift it and it impinges on others. It is a lovely area I live in but this has me looking askance at neighbours who have dogs. I am very suspicious of one neighbour who has two dogs which escape and run around and that's unfair as it might not be them. I'll definitely let you know if I am successful in stopping it.

Furret Thu 23-Jul-20 12:19:59

Anyone or anything coming into my front garden would be recorded on my Ring doorbell. Something you might perhaps consider?

Fennel Thu 23-Jul-20 12:20:03

It's difficult to know what to do unless you can find the owner of the dog.We don't have that problem now, but in one house we lived in the dog of the neighour behind us used our garden regularly as his toilet. I didn't want to fall out with her, but finally cracked and started picking up the messy poo with a shovel and throwing it back in her garden. The problem eventually stopped.
We had a dog too but her poo was dry and hard and didn't smell bad because we fed her raw meat.

Starblaze Thu 23-Jul-20 12:24:08

There's nothing worse than going for a walk on a nice Summers day and being constantly assaulted by dog poo smell. People are rude (dogs are great)

Whitewavemark2 Thu 23-Jul-20 12:25:08

All poo is horrible. I cleared up cat poo this morning. The smell!!?

Fennel Thu 23-Jul-20 12:28:26

ps I've just remembered - this was in the country, only 3 houses in our corner. The other neighbour went to the expense of installing a low electric fence around his garden as he was so fed up with this dog.
But I don't think this would be allowed in a town.

dontmindstayinghome Thu 23-Jul-20 12:37:10

I have the same problem with cats fouling my back garden.

Some new tenants have moved into a property at the back of me and they have six cats so the problem has become much much worse, the smell is awful and several expensive shrubs have been destroyed by their spraying.

Its absolutely disgusting and infuriates me that people can be so selfish.

I have all my flower borders covered with chicken wire to stop them digging - which has worked to some degree - except that they leave their mess on the lawn instead!

The mess will be getting it thrown over in to their garden now that a large tree has been removed and I can get to the fence, see how they like it!

Grandmabatty Thu 23-Jul-20 14:29:37

Unfortunately Furret my 'front' door is actually at the side of my house so that probably wouldn't work. I got an amazon camera thingy from my son for Christmas so I might be able to set it up pointing at the flower bed. It's just so disappointing that I have a neighbour who lets their dog do this. Once or twice, you can pass over but six times in two weeks is deliberate in my book. The trouble is, once a dog gets used to using a particular place, it will keep returning and other dogs are attracted by scent. And I have to get rid of the stuff! Yuck.

JenniferEccles Thu 23-Jul-20 17:05:13

Isn’t there a device to deter animals, which emits a high pitched noise which humans can’t hear but animals can and it’s a noise they can’t stand?

I am sure I have read something about it.

Incidentally I believe there is a similar one for noisy children, unless of course that’s been outlawed!

Furret Fri 24-Jul-20 06:47:39

Grandmabatty do you have a window that faces your garden? Perhaps buy one of those high-powered water cannons that my grandchildren love, open the window and sit in wait? Pow!

Or a catapult?

Grandmabatty Fri 24-Jul-20 08:44:27

furret that would be good? however the windows are hoppers so I would need to stand on a stool at the window to reach out and I think the neighbours might be worried about me! ☺ Nothing deposited last night so I'm going with the cayenne pepper approach for now. And some chicken wire.

Grandmabatty Fri 24-Jul-20 12:56:20

I've seen the culprits! I heard a lot of shouting for "sparky" and looked out the window to see Two dogs in the front garden. A man was calling to them from the pavement, one was rolling around on the stones, the other was running through the flower bed ? I stood at the window so he could see me and said "get your dogs out of my garden." eventually they did. I shook my head and he stopped, turned and glared in at me! He isn't from the street, thank goodness but it was a bit intimidating. So the cayenne pepper is down and chicken wire.