Gransnet forums

Chat

How the Seasons Change!

(12 Posts)
Alexa Wed 29-Jul-20 14:36:24

When I was house hunting I drove past a beautiful field with dandelions in flower, that I could see over and through gaps in a straggling hawthorn hedge. When I returned to have another look at the area, same house hunt weeks later the field was gone and there was brick walls and windows

merlotgran Tue 28-Jul-20 22:16:22

I drove DH to an appointment at our GP surgery last Tuesday and we had to do a small detour because of roadworks. I haven't been that way since just before last Christmas.

I was amazed to see four new houses built on the edge of a hamlet.

Where did they spring from? grin

NotTooOld Tue 28-Jul-20 22:02:36

Alexa - thank you. I thought you meant an actual scooter like the children ride. You can buy adult sized ones of those, some are electric. Glad you enjoy your other type of scooter, though and nice to hear you are getting out and about. Enjoy!

MerylStreep Tue 28-Jul-20 18:29:06

We never stopped going out. The beach, the woods, general neighbourhood. It's still very much summer here in the southeast. Garden doors still open until late.

Alexa Tue 28-Jul-20 18:28:26

PS re my scooter. I am 88 with a mild heart condition and can't walk far. You have to be unable to walk much to use one.

Alexa Tue 28-Jul-20 18:24:28

Leaves falling! My back yard is infested with ivy that i am trying to kill off and the dead ivy leaves are covering the gravel and the slabs.I had a surge of ebergy today and cut back some ivy and used my leaf lifter flippers to lift and bin.
My eyes were itchy afterwards and I suppose I disturbed masses of terrified tiny insects from the ivy.

Alexa Tue 28-Jul-20 18:18:45

NotTooOld, my scooter is road legal as it can do 8MPH when I flip the switch. I must legally switch to 4MPH when it's on the pavement. I recommend the bigger road legal ones as they are more comforatble, and sometimes you are forced on to the road for instance if wheelie bins block the pavement.
I'd say:do not hesitate they give you independence.

NotTooOld Tue 28-Jul-20 16:18:30

Alexa - your scooter sounds a great idea. Is it an electric one? Do you ride it on the road or are you allowed to stay on the pavement? I'd love one.

BlueSky Tue 28-Jul-20 08:50:48

Oh Alexa have you just been outside since lockdown? I bet it seems strange! You probably missed a season. What I noticed is that people were ever so careful with the distancing at the beginning, now less so. I guess it's to be expected.

chicken Tue 28-Jul-20 08:14:37

Here a lot of leaves are falling, yellow and dead, just like autumn---but then we've had no rain ( except a bit of drizzle yesterday) for months.

B9exchange Mon 27-Jul-20 19:04:47

Seems more like late autumn here, it is really cold at the moment!

Alexa Mon 27-Jul-20 18:49:37

Has anyone been out after staying home since lockdown began, and did it feel strange? I was in the park on my scooter for first time and I was surprised how conscious people are about distancing. Also how the trees have all turned dark green.