Gransnet forums

Chat

Is anybody still awake?

(22 Posts)
FlyingHandbag Tue 28-Jul-20 02:58:49

Hi all,
My chronic pain is quite bad tonight and I've had a stupid row with my mother (the general gist is I enquired about the prescription she was ordering and she accused me of prying), so I am sitting in bed watching Eastenders from 2008 on the BBC Iplayer and trying to coax myself to go downstairs and get a drink.

Hope you're all well,
FlyingHandbag. X

Hithere Tue 28-Jul-20 03:33:40

Hope these nights are the exception, not the rule. 😪

FlyingHandbag Tue 28-Jul-20 03:55:50

Hithere

Hope these nights are the exception, not the rule. 😪

Hi! Why are you up so late (early??)? X

Txquiltz Tue 28-Jul-20 04:32:32

Maybe a nice warm bath could ease some of your pain and help you get some rest.

Coolgran65 Tue 28-Jul-20 04:54:33

I hope you've managed to get to sleep.
You're fighting chronic pain and the row with Mum is probably preying on your mind.
I haven't slept yet and it will soon be daylight. This is quite usual for me. I can hear the geese flying over.
Why am I still up......I've just started a thread titled Cellulitis which explains it.
The nights can be very long.

FlyingHandbag Tue 28-Jul-20 05:35:20

Txquiltz

Maybe a nice warm bath could ease some of your pain and help you get some rest.

I only have a walk in shower but thanks all the same. X

FlyingHandbag Tue 28-Jul-20 05:38:02

Coolgran65

I hope you've managed to get to sleep.
You're fighting chronic pain and the row with Mum is probably preying on your mind.
I haven't slept yet and it will soon be daylight. This is quite usual for me. I can hear the geese flying over.
Why am I still up......I've just started a thread titled Cellulitis which explains it.
The nights can be very long.

Hi, I haven't slept at all, still watching eastenders and I have just had a cup of tea and some chicken.
Cellulitis is awful, a young relative had that when she was a tot and it was awful. I hope it clears up soon. X

FlyingHandbag Tue 28-Jul-20 07:55:28

Still haven't slept, I FaceTimed a relative who didn't sleep either and we did our makeup on the phone. X

Calendargirl Tue 28-Jul-20 09:51:32

FH, you have lots of relatives!

Hithere Tue 28-Jul-20 12:07:17

FH
I live in the US, EST time zone 😁

How fun, a makeup session! You are so creative

FlyingHandbag Tue 28-Jul-20 14:55:15

Hithere

FH
I live in the US, EST time zone 😁

How fun, a makeup session! You are so creative

I didn't know you lived in the states Hithere! Thanks, I like to have my makeup on most days but some days I don't bother. X

FlyingHandbag Tue 28-Jul-20 14:56:47

I have been sleeping on and off all day, I feel a lot better having slept a bit, I felt sick and dizzy until I managed to sleep. X

Hithere Tue 28-Jul-20 15:20:24

Sleep deprivation is evil, glad you feel better!

FlyingHandbag Tue 28-Jul-20 16:47:53

Hithere

Sleep deprivation is evil, glad you feel better!

Thanks. X

Toadinthehole Tue 28-Jul-20 18:28:21

I’ve stumbled on a wonderful cure for insomnia.....a derivative of white noise, so brown noise. It works by clearing your mind and distracting you, even from pain so I’m told. It’s very popular for young mums, for their babies/ toddlers/ children. My daughter has sworn by it for my granddaughter, and has recommended it to other people, who can’t thank her enough. There’s an App, don’t know how to download or anything, my daughter did it for me, with loads of different sounds.....fans, dryers, rain, thunder, babbling brooks, birds, loads of them. You’re bound to find something that works. Try it and see. I was sceptical at first, but I put it on, and the next I knew, it was a few hours later, and time for my first wee of the night!🤪. Hope you get a better night tonight 🤗

FlyingHandbag Tue 28-Jul-20 18:46:51

Toadinthehole

I’ve stumbled on a wonderful cure for insomnia.....a derivative of white noise, so brown noise. It works by clearing your mind and distracting you, even from pain so I’m told. It’s very popular for young mums, for their babies/ toddlers/ children. My daughter has sworn by it for my granddaughter, and has recommended it to other people, who can’t thank her enough. There’s an App, don’t know how to download or anything, my daughter did it for me, with loads of different sounds.....fans, dryers, rain, thunder, babbling brooks, birds, loads of them. You’re bound to find something that works. Try it and see. I was sceptical at first, but I put it on, and the next I knew, it was a few hours later, and time for my first wee of the night!🤪. Hope you get a better night tonight 🤗

Thanks! X

Aldom Tue 28-Jul-20 19:17:27

Hi flyinghandbag I have only just seen your post about your sleepless night last night. So sorry to hear about your chronic pain keeping you awake. Hope you have a good night tonight. I've been staying at my daughter's. It's been fun, shopping, wearing our various pretty face masks. As we have to wear them we are trying to coordinate masks with our outfits. So much more attractive than plain blue, disposable. Hugs. 🎭

rubysong Tue 28-Jul-20 19:41:56

The sound of the fan doesn't work for me. When we have the fan on if it's a hot night it just keeps me awake and I have to put ear plugs in. The best thing I have found, when I put it the light I start to (in my head) tell myself all about whatever book I have just been reading. I list all the characters and recount the plot, except I rarely get as far as the plot.
I hope you have a better night FH.

FlyingHandbag Tue 28-Jul-20 21:17:35

Aldom

Hi flyinghandbag I have only just seen your post about your sleepless night last night. So sorry to hear about your chronic pain keeping you awake. Hope you have a good night tonight. I've been staying at my daughter's. It's been fun, shopping, wearing our various pretty face masks. As we have to wear them we are trying to coordinate masks with our outfits. So much more attractive than plain blue, disposable. Hugs. 🎭

Hi! I've seen some lovely masks. I am going to go for a shower and do my nails to relax myself. Hugs to you too. X

FlyingHandbag Tue 28-Jul-20 21:18:01

rubysong

The sound of the fan doesn't work for me. When we have the fan on if it's a hot night it just keeps me awake and I have to put ear plugs in. The best thing I have found, when I put it the light I start to (in my head) tell myself all about whatever book I have just been reading. I list all the characters and recount the plot, except I rarely get as far as the plot.
I hope you have a better night FH.

Thanks. X

welbeck Tue 28-Jul-20 21:31:39

Toad, that sounds interesting. i think i use radio in the same way. i put it on, speech i prefer, with a time out setting, usually for 45 minutes.
often i have to lean out of bed to re-set it. which is fiddly on DAB; why can't they make one button/switch for one function. it's like some elaborate spell; unless you get it in exactly the right order, it doesn't work.
anyway i usually go to radio 4 extra or world service or radio 5 live, radio london, lbc. it tends to work.
but i find if i have it on too low it keeps me awake; i think i must be unconsciously straining to hear it../? ..!

Toadinthehole Wed 29-Jul-20 09:13:50

Yes welbeck, it can’t be anything that you’d want to listen to, just hear if you know what I mean. It has to be background, but loud enough to distract you from your own thoughts, which is what really bothers me if I’m not asleep after about 30 minutes. That and the restlessness🤪. This just distracts you from everything. Give it a go🤔.