Gransnet forums

Chat

scammers programme on Wednesday night

(64 Posts)
infoman Wed 29-Jul-20 07:54:17

channel 5 at 20:00pm
Only three persons have the home phone line,so if its not one of them its a scam.
If you have to put a phone number on anything, put your mobile number in both box's.
If you get what you think a scam phone call,
say hang on a minute and put the phone to one side and cover it with a cushion or pillow.
All scammers are on a time limit so the longer THEY are kept on "hold" it will show to THEIR boss on their display that they have been on hold for a long time with no financial return.
This also give others a bit of respite from scam phone calls.

Esspee Wed 29-Jul-20 16:11:25

This thread reminded me of my mum who loved getting calls for conservatories. She was very enthusiastic about getting one then dropped into the conversation that she lived 6 floors up. ?

Toadinthehole Wed 29-Jul-20 16:18:44

Sometimes I just say nothing and see how long it takes them to hang up. Other times I play “ games”. My favourite is pretending to go and get my husband....and in the meantime, my “ child” comes to the phone and starts talking gibberish. Great fun!?. I haven’t had any calls for ages though, certainly not this year.

JaneRn Wed 29-Jul-20 16:27:14

Thank you everyone for your very funny stories. Goodness knows we can do with cheering up. I think I have tried most of the suggestions from the Windows one to "Have you got a mother? Is she proud of having a son who is a criminal?"

However, while it is easy to have fun winding up these crooks I think we have to be aware that some older people, perhaps on their own and not so confident as others, are genuinely frightened by, for example, the prospect of having their internet or phone cut off within 24 hours.

I once had a scammer, claiming to be from my bank's security department and with the usual instructions that as there had been a suspicious transaction, in Hong Kong, on my account I should immediately transfer my balance to a new account. He was so persistent, ringing throughout the evening, that in the end I just took the phone off the hook. The only thing that slightly concerned me was that he knew the balance of my account to within a few pounds! A lucky guess? I contacted my bank the next day just to confirm that everything was in order, but it does make you wonder where he got his information from.

nexus63 Wed 29-Jul-20 17:30:13

i always tell the scammers i am locked in the house and my carer makes all the decisions and then ask in a very timid little voice.....would you be my friend, i can tell you where i stay and we can talk at the letterbox....lol. if my son is visiting he always says,,mummy is out and i am not supposed to answer the phone..lol xx

Carol54 Wed 29-Jul-20 18:10:42

My daughter answered the phone and proceeded to 'sell ' a garden shed. Even asking the caller if they could collect it. We were in hysterics and the caller completely confused.

Blossoming Wed 29-Jul-20 18:41:35

I start speaking Gaelic, confuses the hell out of them.

Seajaye Wed 29-Jul-20 18:44:00

I had one call a few years back trying to sell a pre paid funeral plan for £3K which guaranteed your chosen funeral package arrangements at a fixed price, no matter how far ahead in the future. He was very plausible, spoke about rising cost of funerals
above annual inflation rates, which meant any cash savings for this purpose could be whittled away, and about the burdens that could be created for family. I can see vulnerable elderly people could easily fall for this. Although the money paid into the 'plan' is ( allegedly) invested in a trust, the salesman was unable to explain how the costs of all the funeral plans sold could be guaranteed, as it would be unlikely that the trust fund would remain solvent to meet all of its obligations in the future if, as stated, the cost of all the future funerals is rising well above above rate of inflation or ordinary investment returns especially taking into accounts the costs of employing the salesmen in the first place.

granbabies123 Wed 29-Jul-20 18:46:35

OMG how you have cheered me up. Realise I haven't laughed like this for a while. Thankyou to all you all . We need more of these posts. So so good

GreenGran78 Wed 29-Jul-20 23:51:38

Millie22. You reminded me of what happened many years ago, when we changed our landline number. The phone rang, and a lady asked if she was speaking to the family planning clinic. I almost died laughing, because I had five children.
It turned out, like yours, to be two very similar numbers.

Calendargirl Thu 30-Jul-20 06:18:43

I thought it was a new programme, but when watching it realised most of it has been on before, but just updated with some lockdown additions.

Mistyfluff8 Thu 30-Jul-20 06:37:50

I get regularly on my emails I am due to renew my TVlicence this month and pay it online definitely wrong date and month .The Amazon goods one too can be a good fake

ladymuck Thu 30-Jul-20 06:48:47

This has been entertaining! I'm actually looking forward now to my next call so I can try out your strategy.

barbaranrod Thu 30-Jul-20 08:06:59

these all made me laugh ,i used to get quite a lot of these scammers till i came up with `,as soon as they started talking ,i said ,`oh is that you son ,well you forgot to bring my pension back also where is my shopping ? i will give you another list,i then proceed to give them a lovely shopping list ,,But they hang up on me !!,how sad is that ,and they never did bring me the shopping ,,mean things