Gransnet forums

Chat

Lovely thing to say

(130 Posts)
Scribbles Wed 29-Jul-20 15:20:36

I was talking to some neighbours this morning. They're just back from a visit to relations on the south coast and were telling me about their trip. Jenny* asked about my trip to Richmond 3 weeks ago. I said I'd enjoyed it but, all the same, was glad to be home.
"Well, I should think so," she said, "this is such a lovely, friendly house, it must be really good to come home to."

That's one of the nicest things that anyone's ever said to me! I've always hoped my home might strike other people that way but have never had any certainty.

* not her real name.

CanadianGran Wed 12-Aug-20 06:48:57

What a fantastic thread this is!

At an event with dancing, we were told by more than one person that they loved to watch us dance. Since neither my DH or I are fantastic dancers, I imagine the fun we have shines through. I remember being a teenager as a guest at a wedding and watching the older couples dancing and thinking "I want to be like them some day." Lucky me!

Also, years ago I worked as a bank teller (in my early 20's). After counting out his money, an elderly man complemented me on my lovely hands. That stayed with me.

shetag Tue 11-Aug-20 16:50:23

The nicest thing anyone has said to me.....I was working in a home with dementia/alzheimer's clients.
One of the ladies I was working with told me (randomly) one day that I was a kind, beautiful, loving person and not to let anyone tell me otherwise. It was so touching that someone with such a horrible disease took the time to tell me that.
Sadly, next time I went into the home to work with her, she had passed away.

MellowYellow Tue 04-Aug-20 06:43:36

Yesterday my 4 year old granddaughter said, 'I like you more than Mummy, Nana, cos you let me be messy.' She has the loveliest mum, but I let her mix flour and water and paint and oats and lentils and anything else in the cupboards in a big bowl and sometimes it gets on the kitchen floor.

Scentia Tue 04-Aug-20 06:09:20

Oh what a lovely thread this is.
I work all over the midlands in children’s homes and I have been told more than once that when I walk in I bring a “calm yet joyous” vibe in with me. I was very pleased with that. Mawb. My house is like a show house and I am not that welcoming with visitors neither except my family as I grew up in a very messy cluttered house with people who, sometimes, no one seemed to know, waltzed in and out as they pleased. My DSiS is the same as me?

OPgrndtr Tue 04-Aug-20 01:05:12

I am my DH's third and last wife. His mother told me one day that I am the best wife he ever had.

Rosiebee Sat 01-Aug-20 15:31:36

Many years ago I had a longish blue and white cotton skirt that had a fringed hem. I was coming down stairs in front of my DGD who was three at the time and it trailed behind me. She said - "Oh 9E [ Welsh for grandmother is Nain, pronounced nine], you're just like a mermaid" I am a short and round Nain and no-one could ever describe me as remotely delicate but those words are now engraved on my heart.

Shropshirelass Sat 01-Aug-20 09:09:42

My elderly parents and uncle (in their nineties) who said they wouldn't manage without me. Sadly only one still here but I still look after her.

Witzend Sat 01-Aug-20 08:55:57

That’s so lovely, Scribbles, words to treasure.

I feel the same about something dh once said. . A relative was visiting for Christmas - at the time he was going through a messy separation, and their house had never been a place you felt very comfortable or welcome in anyway.
Dh said, ‘Thank you for making a nice home’. I’ve always treasured that.

Naninka Sat 01-Aug-20 08:22:12

MellowYellow Thank you. xx

MellowYellow Sat 01-Aug-20 08:07:53

(Naninka you type an asterisk * before and after the name with no space between it and the letters.)

MellowYellow Sat 01-Aug-20 08:04:39

Oh Jules what a lovely thing to hear. Well done on a good job done!

Jules59 Fri 31-Jul-20 23:38:45

My ex husband left when my children were both under 4. He didn’t involve himself much in their lives. Years later my MiL and FiL told me what a wonderful job I had done bringing them up and that I must be so proud of them. I was so chuffed that they’d recognised the struggle I had being a single Mum. Both kids in their 30’s now and I couldn’t be more proud of them both. smile

Happysexagenarian Fri 31-Jul-20 11:29:53

My stepmum once told me "You'll never get old because you're young at heart". I like to think I am, I hope she's right.

One of my son's friends (a quiet shy lad) once said he always liked coming to our house because he always felt he could relax with us and be himself. I thought it was a lovely thing to say. My son later explained that tbe boy's parents were high achievers professionally and had very high expectations of him too. The pressure led him into drink, drugs and depression and we didn't see him for several years. But at our son's wedding he was there with his wife and new baby boy and far more relaxed than when he was younger. We chatted and he said he hoped to be the same sort of parents as we had been to our son and that he had often wished he could have been part of our family when he was growing up. There were a few tears. He's now a successful businessman with a lovely family and we still keep in touch.

Timsmum Fri 31-Jul-20 09:58:22

My husband having been in intensive care,very ill,not expected to live,and I was told I could insist on a visit . I did that ,was allowed to go,my husband saw me,said what are you doing here,oh I had forgotten how pretty you are--that was wonderful ,started picking up from that day ,is still very ill, but has come home ,wonderful words after 53yrs married

daile Fri 31-Jul-20 08:08:08

I hope this doesn’t sound too “risqué’, but I once had a man say, “you make my brain hard”. It was such a compliment because I’d never had a man acknowledge my intellect before.

Naninka Fri 31-Jul-20 08:04:46

When I was in my 30s, I went on a training course that was full of 'youngsters' in their 20s. At the end of the 2 day course, we had to wear a paper plate on our back so others could write positive affirmations (no name required). When I took my plate off at the end of the activity, I read in different colours and writing styles: Intelligent. Pretty. Great leader. Knows a lot. Smiley. You are amazing - so glad I met you. Hope we meet again. Always smiling. A friendly person.
I've kept that plate. If I feel down, I read it again and am reminded of the way other people view me.

daile Fri 31-Jul-20 08:00:02

I’m new at this and hope that I’m doing this correctly. I’m from the US, so sometimes our jargon is different. PlEase forgive me for that.

Naninka Fri 31-Jul-20 07:53:01

JackyB me too! I never leave anyone standing and the kettle's always freshly boiled. Yet have been left standing myself.
How do you make someone' name go bold?

Naninka Fri 31-Jul-20 07:44:31

"Bucked me up no end"... lol. First time I've seen that away from an Enid Blyton novel. Thank you for making me smile, Grandmabatty. xx

Katyj Fri 31-Jul-20 07:17:33

My Granddaughter said , grabbing my cheeks I love you grandma your so squishy ?

pollygran Thu 30-Jul-20 22:36:26

My granddaughter telling me I was fun and the best Nanny

Shizam Thu 30-Jul-20 21:47:24

When trying to get into work car park and pass wasn’t working. Security guard came over to help. Said maybe it was overwhelmed by your beauty! I’d just come off a crying, angry argument blah with husband. Definitely didn’t feel beautiful. But he cheered me up. Thank you to that man!

monkeebeat Thu 30-Jul-20 19:34:38

A patient in the Hospice where I worked reached out to hold my hand as he said ‘You make me feel safe’
Fat and frumpy with swollen snkles at over 9 months pregnant my undemonstrative mum looked at me with a big smile and said ‘You look so bonny’
On my last check up post breat cancer the Dr said ‘We are dicharging you.’

Harris27 Thu 30-Jul-20 18:42:55

The little children I look after when they say ‘ love you’ or ‘ we miss you a’ when I haven’t been in.

GreenGran78 Thu 30-Jul-20 18:29:14

We had five kids, and not a lot of money, but our house was usually the one that the neighbourhood children played in. There were always home baked snacks available, and going for a walk was a bit like a scene from Exodus. The big tent was up in the back garden all summer for sleepovers.
One day the only child from next-but-one, whose parents were both professional people, looked in my fridge and remarked, “You always have lots of food and good times in your house.” Obviously their big cars and expensive holidays were subsidised by ‘lean pickings’ at mealtimes.
It was good to know that I had my priorities right, even though it was hard work.