Gransnet forums

Chat

Cooking bloopers you have made

(95 Posts)
Kiwigramz Thu 30-Jul-20 00:43:16

When I first married we invited friends to stay for Christmas. I cooked roast turkey for Christmas Day and Duck for Boxing Day. On the third day I decided cold turkey would be good.

My late husband was busy cutting it when he said I had put too much stuffing in and he had a job to get it out. Stuffing? Out came a plastic bag complete with giblets in tact. You could say it was very well flavoured. I was so embarrassed but we were married for 34 happy years.

yellowcanary Fri 31-Jul-20 13:42:49

I put a chicken carcass on to boil to make a stock - completely forgot about it until it had burnt dry - thing was I had smelt it earlier and thought someone was having a barbecue, about half an hour later realised it was my chicken bones sad

Talking about salt instead of sugar, the night my husband passed away (23 years ago now) my dad's friend made cups of tea for the 3 of us - put lots of sugar in mine, it was vile as she had picked up the salt container by mistake smile smile

Notthecatsmother Fri 31-Jul-20 12:36:14

I made a beef stroganoff but didn't use button mushrooms the sauce turned grey and looked horrible.

felice Fri 31-Jul-20 12:35:28

Annsixty, you can still buy similar here, I do not drink coffee so keep them in the store cupboard, coffee drinking friends like them.
Only 'foreigners' would dream of drinking instant here.

Aepgirl Fri 31-Jul-20 11:58:20

I remember watching a cookery programme some years ago, and I wish I could remember the name of the chef, when a chicken was roasted and then cut into portions.
Ir was obvious from the first cut that there was a plastic bag inside that hadn't been removed, and a teatowel was immediately thrown over the chicken because the chef said it was too hot to touch with his bare hands.

Nicolaed Fri 31-Jul-20 11:38:50

Not a food one but drink related nor my fault. We had a Japanese friend who asked for a vodka and Worcester sauce as a drink which we though was odd but it's obviously courtesy not to say that he was wrong so he grimaced his way through the drink and when asked if he'd like another it was a definite no! We suggested that he had the same again but with a tomato juice - all of a sudden his eyes lit up and he said "a Bloody Mary"! He obviously couldn't remember the name and only a couple of the constituents

inishowen Fri 31-Jul-20 11:12:31

First dinner party after marriage. When I came to serve the soup I couldn't find my new wedding present soup bowls. Then it dawned on me, I was using them as plant stands. I had to collect them up in front of the guests and give them a good wash.

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 31-Jul-20 11:04:03

Kiwigramz, funnily enough the first chicken roast I did after I married (50 years ago). The packet said 'oven ready' so i took it out of its bag and shoved it in the oven. Yes, when I tried to carve it at the end of cooking - there was the bag of giblets, etc.
Recently though, it must be subconsciously, I have made two batches of biscuits and forgotten to put sugar in them!! Yeugh!!

annsixty Fri 31-Jul-20 11:02:09

With the reminder of coffee bags, does anyone remember the brown plastic cups which had holes in the bottom, then ground coffee and a paper filter fixed to the cup over the coffee.
You placed it over a mug or cup and then poured boiling water over the filter and it drained through.
We thought they were very sophisticated at the time.
Early 70’s.

Jillybird Fri 31-Jul-20 10:57:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

annodomini Fri 31-Jul-20 10:53:04

Spangler's shrivelled roast beef would have gone well with my forgotten Yorkshire pudding. Old friends of my parents were visiting Kenya and I invited them to Sunday lunch. All went well until there was a burning smell from the oven. The Yorkshire pudding was overdone by about 45 minutes. I think my neighbour ate it with syrup. Some people do have strange appetites.

Callistemon Fri 31-Jul-20 10:28:28

reinventing the wheel
Froglady if I'd known they'd gone out of fashion I'd have reinvented them myself and made a fortune!

Ealdemodor Fri 31-Jul-20 10:10:37

Once, I forgot to put the water in the (shop bought) stuffing mix. Half an hour later, I had a dish of herb scented dust.

Nannan2 Fri 31-Jul-20 10:06:43

And yes i had coffee bags years ago, but they seemed to 'disappear' from the market..?

Nannan2 Fri 31-Jul-20 10:03:55

Still cant work out whom the 'famous' person is...but Illte's cake story is priceless ???

EEJit Fri 31-Jul-20 09:50:02

Back in my teens I tried making some peppermint cremes. They were so hard the local council are still using them for paving slabs over 40 years later.

Moggycuddler Fri 31-Jul-20 09:48:15

Not me, but my daughter (in her twenties at the time) managed to ruin a pan cooking scrambled eggs. No idea what she did with them. They looked actually orange and smelled awful (fresh eggs.) She also thought (though she didn't actually try) that you boiled chips.

Starblaze Fri 31-Jul-20 09:43:12

Recent birthday cake, rainbow, was so proud of it. Found it in the morning with the icing a puddle around the sides. Tasted just as good though

helgawills Fri 31-Jul-20 09:42:12

Years ago, we were running a Youth Hostel in North Devon. We made a lot of biscuits, Cornish Fairings being a favourite at the time. One morning I was just taking a batch out of the oven when the Milkman came in for his cup of tea. The biscuits smelled lovely and we offered some to the Milkman. He never said a word, it was only after he left and we tried some ourselves, that we realised that we'd put salt in instead of caster sugar, both kept in large plastic container, unlabelled.

Froglady Fri 31-Jul-20 09:29:01

Callistemon

Lucca I thought the same as another poster, that the person had a wart.
Of course, I should have known who your friend is, he's sitting on a bookcase upstairs grin. I think tea would add a certain something to the dish!

Talking of tea bags, there is an advert on TV for a new invention - coffee bags. Why did no-one think of them before is the question.
Well, I remember buying coffee bags in the 1960s. Does anyone else remember them? They're not a new invention.

I remember going on a youth hostelling holiday with my bike and I took coffee bags with me; that would have been in about 1971 or thereabouts. Talk about reinventing the wheel.

Magnolia62 Thu 30-Jul-20 23:41:46

Nothing major really but we had family to lunch this week. I made a chilli con carne the day before and just reheated it on the day and served with freshly cooked rice. All enjoyed. The following day we finished off the leftovers and I suddenly realised that I had forgotten to add the tinned kidney beans. I did message family to apologise but no one noticed. Ashamed to say this is not the first time I have forgotten.

Callistemon Thu 30-Jul-20 23:28:23

Lucca I thought the same as another poster, that the person had a wart.
Of course, I should have known who your friend is, he's sitting on a bookcase upstairs grin. I think tea would add a certain something to the dish!

Talking of tea bags, there is an advert on TV for a new invention - coffee bags. Why did no-one think of them before is the question.
Well, I remember buying coffee bags in the 1960s. Does anyone else remember them? They're not a new invention.

lindiann Thu 30-Jul-20 23:09:50

Found this earlier www.facebook.com/100002931451189/videos/3197989003642117/ So funny

Urmstongran Thu 30-Jul-20 22:55:00

Love that story Spangler bet the pub locals ribbed you for ages!
?

PinkCakes Thu 30-Jul-20 22:44:46

Kiwigramz My mum did the same thing a few times at Christmas.

I've sometimes put something in the oven, gone upstairs to do a job like sorting out some washing, got side-tracked, then forgotten about the dinner until I've smelled it burning. grin

Grannynannywanny Thu 30-Jul-20 20:27:51

Witzend did the bonio and dog hairs affect the flavour of the pie or were you able to disguise it with custard?? ?