Gransnet forums

Chat

my thoughts on buying a cat or dog

(76 Posts)
infoman Thu 30-Jul-20 06:16:29

or any other home animal.
There seems to be a large increase in the amount of inquires from people that would like to purchase a pet.
Please think carefully if you are considering a buying any pet.

Calendargirl Thu 30-Jul-20 06:25:47

On another thread, about scammers, it showed a young mum with a special needs daughter who had bought a non existent puppy during lockdown. Lost almost £1000.

A lot of money to lose. They went ahead and bought another one, seemed delighted with it, but I wondered if they had really factored in how much this adorable pup would cost them over time.

Before anyone says you can’t put a price on the love and affection, I still feel many people really haven’t the money, time or inclination for long term pet ownership.

sodapop Thu 30-Jul-20 09:02:48

I agree calendargirl especially after clearing up yet another puddle from my 15 year old JR - but we love him.

So many dogs in rescue centres looking for homes and people spend £2,000 on a puppy makes me so sad.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Thu 30-Jul-20 09:11:05

Yes, it is sad that so many animals are abandoned. I expect some owners don't realise just how much time and attention is needed with pets. They are living creatures after all, it's not like chucking a pair of dancing shoes in the corner because you can't get the hang of it.

FindingNemo15 Thu 30-Jul-20 09:13:28

If you must have a pet consider rehoming from a rescue sanctuary. They all need a forever home.

TwiceAsNice Thu 30-Jul-20 09:13:43

I got a cat from a rescue centre last year after wanting one all my life. (Ex refused to have any pet but that’s another story!) She is the love of my life I adore her, she adores me . She costs me £25 a month in vet club and insurance fees plus food and treats, and the initial outlay for beds, blankets, toys and pet bowls etc. Worth every penny and affordable.

I live on my own and don’t know what I’d do without her. She was so scared when she first came and now trusts again. My daughters say she is my princess as I spoil and fuss her and she loves it.

However I recognise I wouldn’t have a dog as I think they are much more hard work and I’m afraid I don’t like them enough to want to own one. I agree you shouldn’t get a pet on a wim but I think other things are more important to consider than money

Charleygirl5 Thu 30-Jul-20 09:17:28

sodapop it is the same with cat rescue centres- my last three came from one and it is so nice seeing a cat blossom out and be him or herself having had a bad start in life.

A cat may not need the amount of personal and physical care of a dog but it still needs love and affection. Mine has spent 2 hours walking over my bed and face persuading me to get up from around 5 am. You have to be ready when it brings home a half-dead mouse for your evening supper. Food is expensive and vet bills outrageous. What do you do with the animal even if it is just a long day out for you? Please think carefully.

BlueSky Thu 30-Jul-20 09:18:15

Agree with the above, we are only talking about getting a dog now we are retired and have the time, money and inclination, after a very busy life when we were working. And yes it'll be from the rescue!

seacliff Thu 30-Jul-20 09:21:02

I do feel for the poor dogs especially that will suddenly be left at home all day alone, after having been with people 24/7. They will really suffer mentally, and may then chew/be destructive because of it, and then end up being rehomed.

Also in our area the high demand for dogs has given rise to a big increase in dog thefts, so awful.

I think people thinking of getting a dog should first volunteer with Cinnamon Trust or similar, and regularly commit to walking a local dog for someone who can't get out. Just to see a bit of what is involved, rain or shine.

BlueSky Thu 30-Jul-20 09:36:06

Good idea Seacliff!

Grandmabatty Thu 30-Jul-20 09:44:35

I've been owned by dogs over many years and the last three were rescue dogs and cross breeds. You have to devote considerable time and effort into these dogs. My last one suffered badly when there were loud noises such as fireworks or thunder. Walking and exercising them in bad weather or in the dark isn't always great either. However dogs are always pleased to see you and give so much love and trust back. I miss having a dog.

Tweedle24 Thu 30-Jul-20 10:01:47

We always had cats but, have had dogs occasionally too - all rescued one way or another.

I currently have two cats, siblings from the local rescue centre. The two we had previously, for seventeen years, both died soon after my husband. I can’t begin to tell you how much Anthony and Cleopatra have been a solace. A friend, also a widow, explained it beautifully by calling it the joy of having another heartbeat in the house.

seacliff Thu 30-Jul-20 10:11:45

How lovely Tweedle. Listening to one of ours purring today, it is such a relaxing sound. Glad you got rescue cats, so many need homes. We foster and are very glad to find homes such as yours.

They say having a pet reduces your blood pressure, and I understand why. Mind you, when one has been sick all over the place, that's a different matter!

timetogo2016 Thu 30-Jul-20 10:20:13

Dogs everytime.
They make you exercise too which can only be a good thing.
Cats are independant.

sf101 Thu 30-Jul-20 10:35:38

I was waiting till I retired last year to get another dog. Then Corona put everything on hold, but after a lot of thought I am off to the local greyhound rescue on Saturday to see if one might like me to be it's new Mum.

WoodLane7 Fri 31-Jul-20 09:35:50

I have cats ( more practical as I work; if I wasn’t working would deffo consider a dog but I love my 2 feline boys), always from cat rescue. Why do people go and spend a fortune when there are so many lovable cats and dogs in rescue centres desperate for a loving home; I just don’t get it....

Chardy Fri 31-Jul-20 09:43:54

Walking the dogs on the beach first thing every morning has been my salvation in lockdown. Like my children, they are expensive, time-consuming, occasionally frustrating, make my house untidy, but like my children, worth every minute and every penny.

MawB Fri 31-Jul-20 09:49:39

sf101

I was waiting till I retired last year to get another dog. Then Corona put everything on hold, but after a lot of thought I am off to the local greyhound rescue on Saturday to see if one might like me to be it's new Mum.

Hurray!
They are the sweetest, gentlest, least aggressive dogs out there and you know exactly why they are in the rehoming centre-retirement (often as young as 2) not because of aggression, difficult behaviour or any other character traits. They will usually be clean in their kennel or totally housetrained and are very funny soppy dogs. Lazy too - they don’t call them 40 mph couch potatoes for nothing!
Hattie says let’s see a pic when you get your hound!

Bluesindy1 Fri 31-Jul-20 10:00:32

I'm a dog walker and I am amazed at how many pups are around during lockdown who are all used to people being at home. When these owners return to work there's going to be dog's with separation anxiety and inexperienced owners will struggle to cope and sadly some of these dogs will end up needing re-homing. On a cheerier note rescues are wonderful dogs #rescueismyfavouritebreed

Beauregard Fri 31-Jul-20 10:01:23

The family talked me into having a dog 17 years ago. We were lucky to have the best dog ever for 16 1/2 years until we lost her in February. The hardest part was old age (I thought it would be puppyhood). For the last couple of years of her life she wasn't the same dog and we dealt with her incontinence and dementia and couldn't leave her for more than a few hours, so there were no holidays or days out for a long time, but we loved her so much we didn't mind that. The only thing that never changed was her love of food! We miss her but now have more freedom (still no holidays though due to Covid19), and less worry. And my DH takes me for a walk instead! I don't feel that I want another one as it is so restricting, but the love you give and get from them is immeasurable.

HannahLoisLuke Fri 31-Jul-20 10:02:01

I grew up with dogs and would love one now. Sadly the thought of vet bills and insurance has stopped me. I also can't walk far or fast so it would have had to be a small elderly dog, more vet bills.
I console myself with dog sitting a friend's two when they're out for the day.

sf101 Fri 31-Jul-20 10:08:04

Mayb - will do. Glad I kept the old duvet will make a lovely bed.

polnan Fri 31-Jul-20 10:08:57

oh Twice and Nice, and Hannah

I have had dogs and cats all my life, can`t remember a time when we didn`t have them,,

3 years ago, my precious Bridie, Sheltie, died,, and even now I can`t mention her out loud to anyone... even here,,, phew!

I so miss her...
I got a rescue kitten, not bottle fed, just about off that, but I had to teach her how to eat.. keep her in at night, let her go out during the day, though she doesn`t go far...

dh was ill, then he died Nov. last year, I so miss having a dog though, but at my age I know I couldn`t give it the attention that a dog needs, walkies for starters

my cat has kept me going through this lockdown I think she behave a lot like a dog, in the companionship way...
she has the run of the house, (not a large one) litterbox indoors....

I wouldn`t be without her now.. quite frankly she is keeping me alive...

but a dog.. oh how I wish I were a few years younger,,
and
yes, Hannah like you, when I go walkies, (on my own) I love it when a dog with speak to me, and the owner lets them..

some of the owners seem to recognise how I need to speak to the dogs... hah! tears coming...

BladeAnnie Fri 31-Jul-20 10:12:51

And here's my 19+ year old rescue boy Duncan chilling on my lap right now. He is such a loving and loyal little character. I know he didn't have the nicest start in life but I'm sure we have made up for that. I would always say to anyone wanting a pet, please consider a rehoming a rescue animal

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 31-Jul-20 10:36:19

There are several articles that I read this morning of puppies who have been taken home by their new owners and dying with 24 hours, most infected with the Parvo Virus.
If you don’t want a rescue dog, please don’t buy any puppies , or indeed any animal online, or from a chap who knows a chap who will meet you in a car park.
Apparently most of these poor animals are stolen from Europe or Eastern Europe and shipped in , or from Puppy Farms.
I honestly can’t understand why these vehicles aren’t stopped at the borders, I had hoped that Brexit would put a stop to anyone who isn’t from a bona fide Rescue Agency getting the animals Through. Another dream smashed!