Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's welcoming kitchen for kindly caring folk...

(1001 Posts)
soop Thu 30-Jul-20 13:41:54

Here we are again
Happy as can be,
All good friends and jolly good company.

A hearty welcome. cupcake wine cafe brew flowers sunshine and plenty of virtual HUGS.

Izabella Wed 12-Aug-20 08:49:29

Good morning from the Shire. I have awoken to a calm and refreshed world following the most amazing storm in the night. The lightening was so damned awesome I got up, made tea and sat in my recliner chair watching, complete with a Garibaldi biscuit the littlies had missed. The whole sky was alight with continuous brilliant flashes of intense fiery drama. In the background in surround stereo it sounded like a dream drum duet with Phil Collins and Ginger Baker but on mute and overseen by a skilled sound engineer. Totally thrilling,

The last time I experienced lightening of this calibre was following a Pink Floyd concert at Chateau de Chantilly in 1979 (had to look that date up.) Obviously their laser show was amazing but when the concert finished mother nature decided to show us what she could do.

And today we have another glorious sundrenched day. My chair will be placed under the lovely trees whilst I revel in this wonderful world we have. I may have a fading brain and completely blank hours, but I intend to live in the moment and enjoy the simple things in life while I can.

CH has had a whole load more scans, measurements of eyes, fundoscopy and so on and has a tele-appointment later when this month when we will know what is happening eye wise. Asked not to wear his contacts, we have regular huffs and sighs about having to wear glasses. Two pairs at once in an attempt to see things at times. He is currently enjoying a grapefruit following a medication review.

In the meantime TOYA. I continue to enjoy the lovely pictures posted, hopethat buggerations (especially of the ^cullicodes impunctatus^ variety) (may be misspelled) become more bearable. To all those feeling down, hot, lonely annoyed or whatever, i send virtual calm and the hope things improve. Keep safe everyone.

silverlining48 Wed 12-Aug-20 09:59:02

You have such a wonderful way with words Izabella. Enjoy your day, and hope the sun is shining and you have shade under your tree.

Puzzler61 Wed 12-Aug-20 10:05:10

Ditto, silverl.

annodomini Wed 12-Aug-20 10:37:34

Thank you,*Izabella*. You make everything bearable. Staying with family, I've had breakfast on the sunny patio then made for the shade on the decking round the cabin at the other end of the garden. The sky is that menacing shade of greyish blue which might portend storms - according to the BBC web site we are due for our share tonight and tomorrow. Like you, Izabella, I love to watch the lightning display. My best experience was in a club on the Kenya coast, watching the boats bobbing in the bay, illuminated by both kinds of lightning, and the thunder added the drum roll to the sounds of the Beatles (et al) as we danced the night away.

silverlining48 Wed 12-Aug-20 10:47:29

izabella I have just checked Culicodes etc. Thanks, it’s my word for today.

Charleygirl5 Wed 12-Aug-20 10:49:35

It is very hot here in NW London so I have been sitting with a cooling pad either on my head or on my stomach. It feels fabulous the first few minutes it comes out of the fridge.

I cannot remember the last time we saw rain here. There were grumbles of thunder last night but nothing else.

Izabella your CH may find it easier to watch TV using a small pair of binoculars. He needs an appointment at the the Low Vision clinic where they can help him with appliances.

GrannySomerset Wed 12-Aug-20 11:19:56

Loved your description of the storm, Izabella. Thank you. It reminded me of watching a storm in the Loire valley, hanging on to two small children who were so excited they wanted to get nearer to it - from a third floor window. Like you, we regard storms as a spectator sport, and I am impressed that you watched yours in such comfort.

Baggs Wed 12-Aug-20 15:39:24

Good afternoon, everyone! Seems most of Argyll was without the internet this morning. We have it back now but soop is still without and sends her hellos and apologies for her absence.

In other shocking Argyll news, temperature in the shade up to 20°C today, yes really, and staying there!!!

Puzzler61 Wed 12-Aug-20 15:42:11

It would seem Argyll is allowed internet OR summer temperatures Baggs but alas, not both ?

Charleygirl5 Wed 12-Aug-20 15:44:31

Baggs I would pay to have 20C T here! It is a mere 32C but that is cool compared with other days! We have not had rain here for many days.

Baggs Wed 12-Aug-20 15:46:53

Oh, puzzler! no worries. 20°C is summer temperatures for here. And quite hot enough, thank you ?

Grandmabatty Wed 12-Aug-20 16:47:44

I've just had t'internet restored after a spectacular night of thunder, lightning, torrential rain, houses set alight, power cuts, etc etc. Most of today the sky has been blazing and the heat and humidity is off the scale. Keep safe all.

Chewbacca Wed 12-Aug-20 16:51:30

The Storm!

Puzzler61 Wed 12-Aug-20 16:57:14

Spectacular Chewy !

soop Wed 12-Aug-20 17:15:46

Thank you, Baggs you are a very good pal. Internet restored a short time ago. Alas, I now need to doll myself up for an evening out with Bubble Buddies, a post birthday treat to a fish restaurant called the Starfish.

So sorry I've not had a mo' to catch up with you lot. Will do better tomorrow. It's very humid. Feeling washed out. However...needs must.

Until tomorrow, continue to take care. I will have a gorgeous sunset photo taken last night to share with you. smile moon

Puzzler61 Wed 12-Aug-20 18:20:47

Enjoy your evening at the Starfish restaurant soop ? g

Susan56 Wed 12-Aug-20 18:23:23

Izabella,I am late to the thread but have to say as others have you have such a beautiful way with words.Hope you have had a lovely day enjoying the here and now.

We have had an up and down couple of days.Henry grabbed big sister’s breakfast spoon yesterday and quick as a flash had it in his mouth.He had a dreadful reaction.As he is not allowed his medicine from today in preparation for his much awaited tests next week we are all having to watch him like a hawk so there is not a repeat performance.If he has to have his medicine,the tests will be postponed.

We went into town today for the first time since February and had brunch out.A good time was had by all.

Like a lot of you we are melting in the heat although I think we haven’t had it nearly as hot as some.Our younger daughter and family went to Chessington and Legoland for a few days but came home a day early as the heat was unbearable.

Enjoy your post birthday bash soop?

TOYA and hope everyone gets some rain and respite from the heat?

Charleygirl5 Wed 12-Aug-20 19:14:43

Susan young Henry is a minx but gorgeous with it.

Unfortunately, he does not understand what he is doing can really give him a nasty reaction.

I am melting here- some roads in London are like rivers- no rain has fallen here.
TOYA

Puzzler61 Wed 12-Aug-20 19:22:45

Charley keep rotating those cooling packs in the freezer and placing them on whichever parts of you are the hottest.
We had 33 degrees today, but I think you’ve had it hotter.
We’ve got a thunderstorm and rain (for the next 2 hours according to the Met Office). It won’t be enough to cool it down significantly.

Doodle Wed 12-Aug-20 19:43:42

soop you’ve posted some amazing sunsets but that red sky is stunning. Thank you.
izabella As many others have said, you have a wonderful way with words. Your description of the thunderstorm was exciting ?. Reading between the lines do I gather that your CH had been on medication which he shouldn’t mix with grapefruit but is now off it?
charleygirl we too had thunder but no rain. Still waiting. Still very hot ?
baggs can I come and pitch a tent in your garden? 20 degrees in the shade sounds bliss.
chewy that’s an amazing photo. What a sky.
Enjoy your night out soop. Have a lovely meal.
susan poor Henry. He obviously has strong allergies to some things. Hope he is ok.
I’m sorry not to have posted to everyone but there is so much going on in the kitchen these days. I have read everything though and hope you all keep safe and well. galen are you ok? Anymore cakes to taste or has Gary had them all ? ?

annodomini Wed 12-Aug-20 20:25:38

Hellogirl, that's the third name I've known you by! I am sorry to hear about your injury and its aftermath. And your poor son needs a break from these misfortunes. What a rotten run of luck for you and yours. Another hot day in Oxfordshire has ended with a bang! BBC forecast is for more of the same but for the moment it's a pleasantly cool (25) evening..The two resident cats came in only slightly damp. Crafty beasts - they can always manage to find shelter.

Hellogirl1 Wed 12-Aug-20 22:02:14

Soop, I hope that your evening at the Starfish went well, and that you are sufficiently stuffed?

Hellogirl1 Wed 12-Aug-20 22:08:59

Either GN is playing up, or my laptop is! It posted the above whilst I was still typing.
Poor Henry, pity he`s not old enough to realise what`s going to make him poorly.
Izabella, once again your way with words had me entranced. The most fantastic thunderstorms I ever saw were from our balcony in Florida, looking out to sea at night.
I`ve just had a neighbour from further up the bank, never met her before, knock at the door, asking if she can look at our CCTV pictures, as someone has been kicking at their front door. I had to refuse her, as I don`t know how to look back at the pictures, only my son, who doesn`t live here, and is shielding right now. Then when she left I felt guilty.

Charleygirl5 Thu 13-Aug-20 09:20:02

The lodger appeared at 10.45 pm last night wanting instant attention which of course she received.

I think 3 drops of rain fell last night- it is still very muggy but the T has dropped slightly. Our houses are well insulated for cold weather- not this stifling heat. I am sorry I bang on about it every day.

Puzzler61 Thu 13-Aug-20 09:26:19

Don’t apologise Charleygirl, if it’s irritating you, it’s a botheration and needs to be got off your chest.
We are always here to listen.
The lodger is guaranteed to always want your fuss and attention. How smashing is that, to be needed so? ?

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion