Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's welcoming kitchen for kindly caring folk...

(1001 Posts)
soop Thu 30-Jul-20 13:41:54

Here we are again
Happy as can be,
All good friends and jolly good company.

A hearty welcome. cupcake wine cafe brew flowers sunshine and plenty of virtual HUGS.

annodomini Fri 31-Jul-20 13:58:40

ann, so sorry that this annoying lockdown is affecting your DD's planned visit. Isn't it possible for you to create a bubble for your household? I have no idea how to make a 'bubble' but am hoping to fit into my DS's household in Oxfordshire next weekend. I am - so far - fortunate to live mere minutes from the border of Greater Manchester. I hope our small town never gets sucked in to the big conurbation.

soop Fri 31-Jul-20 13:59:47

Good afternoon my lovelies.

corner I also love your tranquil photograph. Skies, trees, water...Mother Nature doesn't need artificial beautifiers.

Puzzler You are such a thoughtful Granspal. Transferring the Agapanthus from our previous meeting place to our new kitchen is testament to your kindness.

annsixty Having your hopes dashed is a huge disappointment. We haven't seen our family since last year. It's very unlikely that we'll gather again before next springtime. I just keep reminding myself that, when we do have our reunion, it will be the best ever. That thought keeps me upbeat. flowers

AGAA4 The buffet is groaning under the weight of home-bakes and the likes. Cumberland Courting cakes sound very interesting. Is the "courting" connected with wooing or grandeur, as in blue bloodedness? What is the recipe, please?

Purplepixie I had a melt-down recently. At such times, a warm, comforting, friendly hug can help to restore one's equilibrium. I'm sending such a virtual hug across the miles. sunshine

Susan Sharing a small child's joy when discovering what we as adults sometimes take for granted, is a blessing to be savoured.
MacS has an appointment to have his scalp zapped early next week. Same day that I have a hair cut. Let joy be unconfined.

Hello Bellanonna, it's good to have you back with us. I've missed you recently. smile

GrannyGravy Does MrGravy dress the part when in charge of the barbecue - striped apron and chef's sweat band and such? Men and their toys...wink

Pittcity MacS bought two large tubs of Magnum ice cream this morning. I shall need to use all my will power when the tub is opened. It's awfully tempting to add a few extra dollops to the pud. Whereas a mini Magnum is a perfectly proportioned treat. hmm

Grandmabatty We recorded last night's final episode of 'Mrs America'. I shall watch it with my Friday night G&T.

Doodle Behave! You have a reputation to live down. grin

Grandmafrench Nothing strenuous for you today. Chill...as they say. A jug of Sangria (or the likes) under a parasol beside the pool, is my recommendation.
Anything in the post?

mbmb Fri 31-Jul-20 14:07:41

annsixty I share your disappointment and your feelings at the lack of clarity. My poor brother, who has been shuttled from hospital to nursing home was due to receive his first visit today from his wife and son, not having seen them for 12 weeks.

Susan56 Fri 31-Jul-20 14:36:05

So glad MacS has an appointment to have his scalp sorted and you having a haircut too on the same day.What neat heads you are both going to have!

I had just popped back to let you know that Henry will finally be going into hospital in mid August to have the tests he so badly needs.We are obviously really pleased but also apprehensive although we have been assured it will be a very safe environment for him.

cornergran Fri 31-Jul-20 15:13:25

Thank you for the Henry update susan, I can understand the apprehension but the benefits will outweigh risk I’m sure.

Oh blimey ann, I’m so sorry, what a disappointment. It will be no consolation to think you won’t be alone in having your plans spoiled. . It feels as if it’s risky to plan anything just now.

Magnum ice cream soop? Definitely a need for willpower. Hope both heads emerge victorious next week.

Life sounds difficult purplepixie, a hug from me.

Off out for a walk later.. We’re hoping by the time we go the beach will have quietened down. Wish us luck.

Be careful out there everyone.

soop Fri 31-Jul-20 15:44:26

Susan Thank you for sharing the latest news regarding Little Henry's long awaited appointment. Thank goodness. He will be well cared for and hopefully there will be a correct diagnosis and appropriate treatment. He deserves to enjoy a trauma free babyhood.

mbmb Has the visit been cancelled? I hope not. Three months is far too long to be without a visitor. Let us know if plans go accordingly. smile

soop Fri 31-Jul-20 15:47:11

N&G Please visit. Us lot miss you. xxx

soop Fri 31-Jul-20 17:49:02

Take good care of yourselves. I shall return tomorrow. smile moon

Freyer Fri 31-Jul-20 22:18:53

Hello all I am melting even the breeze coming off the sea is warm. Just had a lovely dog walk along the cliffs. Its a beautiful evening. Congratulations soop on the baby. I have a new great grandson due at the end of September, in a moment of madness I bought a yellow raincoat and hat from sainsburys baby section so baby could look like his fisherman daddy, my grandson,. Its so cute and should keep out the winter cornish wind. The mum to be loved it so got away with the crazy moment. Have a good evening everyone

Charleygirl5 Sat 01-Aug-20 09:09:43

Another glorious day in NW London. I am like a zombie having been wakened by Tara at 5 am and she would not allow me a moment's peace until I crawled out of bed a couple of hours later. She has left the country, I am drinking coffee to waken me.

I have plenty of food in my freezer but zilch to go with it so I suppose I should go out food shopping.
TOYA

grannysyb Sat 01-Aug-20 10:35:34

Beautiful day here as well, and abit cooler thank goodness. Walked to butcher first thing, and now going to walk to local tesco where it stocks most of what we need. I bought rather expensive steak in the butcher as DS is coming to supper tomorrow, he is moving up to York next week where his rent will be cheaper than round here. Have a good day everyone.

cornergran Sat 01-Aug-20 10:42:59

Been raining here. It wasn't - Mr C went out for the paper and it did - as soon as he got back it stopped. If anyone needs rain I'll send him across grin.

Grandmabatty Sat 01-Aug-20 12:12:10

Bright and breezy here in Polmont. I'm about to make an early lunch then hoover. Such an exciting life! ☺ Soop I hope you enjoy the final episode of Mrs America. The whole thing was entertaining and thought provoking. Have things changed now for the better? I'm not sure. Takeaway pizza at my daughter's tonight so I'm looking forward.

Charleygirl5 Sat 01-Aug-20 12:19:42

corner I keep telling you to move. Blue skies and sunshine here.

soop Sat 01-Aug-20 13:41:06

grannysyb I cannot remember when I last ate steak. Your son will be in for a right royal feast. York is beautiful. No doubt you'll be visiting once this Covid outbreak permits.

It's sunny here. Rain overnight. We're about to meet a lady in the village who has organised a complete make-over of our wee village. MacS is to take a photo of her seated on one of the benches she has had installed, surrounded by tubs of colourful flowers and displays of plants adorning the freshly painted ornate iron railings. The local press wish to publish her achievements carried out since lockdown began in March.

soop Sat 01-Aug-20 13:44:12

Grandmabatty Yes, the final episode of 'Mrs America' was very entertaining. I shall miss it. It was an excellent series.

soop Sat 01-Aug-20 13:50:32

Freya Aww! The new baby outfit sounds very fetching. The first of several garments for our expected addition to the family, arrived yesterday. A lovely pale yellow, fleece-lined, zip-up jacket to fit baby when the weather begins to turn cooler.
I'm awaiting dungarees and tops. Also, a knitted Winnie the Pooh bear which I shall be tempted to keep but won't. wink

Grandmafrench Sat 01-Aug-20 14:21:45

Grandmabatty we've started watching - so enjoying the unveiling of the characters. May have to do a bit of binge watching if this weather continues: 37 in the shade this afternoon, even the heat-seeking cats are inside asleep.

After a shopping trip early this morning, (yes, we bought Magnums, soop) I almost need a lie down in a darkened room, I think. Wish I could get rid of the overwhelmingly emotional feelings that catch in my throat when I see waves of masked people moving towards me in a large hypermarket. Somehow I can't shake the feeling that I have stepped into another world - and one where I don't wish to be. It's horrible and just so sad - but I assume that these ugly scenes have a lot more time to run yet. I looked up and down the lines of cars in the parking area. Masses of them and camping cars all shimmering in the sun. Not a single one spotted from this region - something of a worry as far as shutting down transmission of the virus is concerned.

Looks like the UK has done its usual exodus to the coast which everyone strives for once the temperatures rise. Years ago we lived in Brighton - always wondered why so many were willing to sit in hours of queues to visit on hot weekends. I think some are only happy when they form crowds - like the holidaying family who purposefully walk towards us on an isolated and empty beach in foreign parts. They then sit down less than 50 yards away. Wonder why that is?

Charley that Tara is going to wear you out. Time for the serious sit-down chat when she next wanders into her 5* Hotel, maybe?

Found my way to the end of the last Kitchen and spotted what must be Ann's pre-hairdresser hair? Looked pretty damn nice to me, but suppose it must still be a relief to get that long-missed hairstyle again. So glad that little H is off to have his proper tests, at long last, Susan. Bound to be a bit of an anxious time for the family, but he really needs to be on the right road now as far as his dietary needs are concerned, doesn't he? (And maybe whilst you can still catch him to supervise all that!!) It'll be so good when you don't have to worry about it any more.

Two heads will hopefully be better than one, Soop. Every good wish for brave MacS and his scalp buggerations; and may you be restored to your former glory (pre-March) if that's the plan. Certainly a little treat is in order by now.

Speaking of treats, Modom.............yesterday's post was interesting! Not opened yet, am waiting for The Day, but I am thrilled and delighted already. Thank you a thousand times.....even when your life is filled with far too much of the brown stuff, you manage to concentrate on something to give someone else a lot of pleasure. You're fast approaching Saint Soop, I think. xx

Freyer a yellow baby raincoat and hat. How adorable. I would have only needed the very slightest excuse - glad that it was so appreciated.

Everyone enjoy the rest of the day, please. Pin on the smiles, feet up and relax - it is the weekend. Have a good one!
Hugs from French France x

Grandmabatty Sat 01-Aug-20 15:11:40

grandmafrench I was amazed at how similar the actors were to the real characters as it showed them all at the very end. I'll have to find another good series to watch now. I'm off for a wee siesta now. Au revoir.

soop Sat 01-Aug-20 17:43:03

Grandmafrench I'm wearing a big grin.

I've received a message to say that the dungarees have been delivered. Wrong! I shall need to wait until I have a response from the seller.

Been dead-heading all afternoon. Pic of a little old lady standing before a mighty big gunnera.

Thinking of you all. Until we meet again tomorrow...smile moon

Doodle Sat 01-Aug-20 18:10:27

Goodness, this kitchen is so busy....I hope you’re all social distancing ?
ann really sorry about the disappointment of not seeing your family. It’s been so long now and just when we thought things were getting better...lockdown again.
AGA , keep some cake for the Argy. We need sustenance after Friday theme night ?
purplepixie you are not alone in having some wobbles. Take care. flowers
susan good to hear Henry is going to have his tests soon. Hope it will provide some answers,
soop glad MacSporran is having his treatment soon and you your haircut ?
grandmafrench I am enjoying the series too. Nice to have something good for a change. ?
? soop be careful, I think that plant is going to eat you. It’s huge. ?

mbmb Sat 01-Aug-20 19:20:31

Thank you soop - yes, the planned visit to my brother was indeed cancelled, to his bitter disappointment, Hopefully if people stick to the lockdown restrictions things will be eased a bit when the situation is reviewed in a week's time.

Grandmabatty Sat 01-Aug-20 21:54:34

Soop that is a wonderful shrub. You could camp under it in the rain and not get wet.

Nannytopsy Sun 02-Aug-20 09:06:06

Phew - found you! Why didn’t this kitchen show up anywhere nor come up in search??
Lots of good news about McS, Soop and the hairdresser, Henry and new babies. ? for those with wobbles.
Haircut yesterday went well although the new lady was a bit restrained and could have taken more off. Not the usual case!
Have a good day everyone - lovely weather here again and not too hot.

Charleygirl5 Sun 02-Aug-20 09:07:30

Another gorgeous day. Grandmafrench Tara and I have had many conversations about early am waking. I have even closed the door but she pummels and scratches it. She really is a diva. Today it was almost 8 am so that was almost acceptable.

I decided to have fish and chips last night but reversing my car out was another story because amazingly my car does not bend. My supper was lovely- I am a fan of haddock because they have to cook it for me whereas I do not know how long the cod has been sitting there.
TOYA

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion