Gransnet forums

Chat

Who remembers the good old Green Shield Stamp Days

(31 Posts)
Gummie Thu 30-Jul-20 21:56:09

I still have the espresso coffee cup and saucer set that I bought with green shield stamps. I sometimes wonder if they are worth anything now as I got them in the 70s.

Chewbacca Thu 30-Jul-20 21:49:57

A friend of mine was heavily pregnant with her first baby and she had to go to an ante natal appointment at St Mary's Hospital. Just before she was called in, she was given the obligatory jug and told to go and collect a sample of her pee. She did as asked but when she came to dry herself, she found that there was no toilet paper in her cubicle so she rummaged around in her handbag and found a tissue. Job done, she went in to see the doctor and had to get up on the bed and lie down ready for an internal examination. But as the doctor bent over her, both he and the nurse turned away in fits of giggles. It took them a while to stop laughing long enough to tell her that she's got green shield stamps stuck all over her nether end.

tanith Thu 30-Jul-20 21:31:42

I hated sticking the blooming stamps in

biba70 Thu 30-Jul-20 21:05:29

Oh I do- some of my best kitchen aids we got with GS stamps- and still going strong today, 50 years later.

merlotgran Thu 30-Jul-20 21:03:51

We used to collect them when our first two children were babies. There was only a year between them.

One lunchtime I was planning to stick a sheet of stamps in the book but left them on the coffee table while I put my feet up with a cuppa. The baby was down for a nap and DD snuggled up alongside me on the sofa. As I nodded off I thought it was sweet that she was stroking my face.

I was woken up by a knock at the door. Our post used to come quite late as we lived outside the village and a parcel was being delivered. The usually friendly postman gave me a funny look and didn't stop for a chat!

As I walked back through the hallway I caught sight of myself in the mirror. The whole of the right side of my face was covered in Green Shield stamps! shock grin

TrendyNannie6 Thu 30-Jul-20 20:49:07

I used to love saving up the green shield stamps from our local petrol station in the seventies, I remember I saved the books to get my first camera a brownie 257 I think it was. I was very patient think I had to collect around dozen full books, but oh what a joy when I got my camera. I think I’ve still got the box somewhere, if I remember I think we collected pink stamps as well