Gransnet forums

Chat

I totally agree with this idea

(47 Posts)
BlueBelle Sat 01-Aug-20 18:54:58

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53621613
I think this is a no brainer I d much rather know the schools were open and the pubs shut What do you all think ?

Furret Sun 02-Aug-20 08:29:48

Judging by the photos on social media etc the vast majority of pub-goers do not know how to behave, especially the younger ones.

Maggiemaybe Sun 02-Aug-20 08:33:27

I tend to trust my own experience over the wisdom of social media.

sodapop Sun 02-Aug-20 08:59:11

Many pubs will not survive another closure and however we feel personally it does mean the loss of jobs for many people.
It's important our children get back to school on a regular basis its just a shame it has to be one or the other - or does it ?

MrsEggy Sun 02-Aug-20 09:05:13

Maybe impose an earlier closing time as in the past - say 10.30.? This could limit drinking time and bad behaviour.

Jaxjacky Sun 02-Aug-20 09:11:50

Agree schools are important and a priority. If pubs do close again, many will not survive, the large chains will predominantly be ok, the small, community pubs will not. Many are, with social distancing and restricted trading at 50% or so of normal takings. Many are also a salvation for those living alone who have no family and they provide a village hub.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 09:32:51

Hospitality industry employs thousands in the UK.

There has to be a happy medium we have been to one of our local gastro pubs, social distancing observed, sanitisers everywhere more tables outside than inside. No antisocial behaviour as it has a strong manager.

Schools have to open.

timetogo2016 Sun 02-Aug-20 09:39:07

I can`t see why it has to be one or the other.
They are totaly different settings and social distancing won`t work in either buildings.

Callistemon Sun 02-Aug-20 09:49:48

I don't follow the reasoning.

If places such as pubs and other hospitality venues are closed to stop the spread of the virus and, presumably, allow schools to re-open safely in September, what's to stop people crowding on to the beaches and in other popular beauty spots?

Or gather on the streets as they are doing in the USA France and Germany to protest about their loss of liberty?

Namsnanny Sun 02-Aug-20 09:58:01

As I understand it there has been no evidence works wide for child to child or child to adult infections.

That being the case, I've never understood the thinking behind keeping schools closed.

This is such a hard time for small businesses, including pubs.

Namsnanny Sun 02-Aug-20 09:58:36

world

GrannyGravy13 Sun 02-Aug-20 10:02:05

Having just seen pictures of the protesters in Brixton yesterday, obviously the rules of social distancing and meeting up of more than 30 people together does not apply to all.

Ellianne Sun 02-Aug-20 10:07:32

The reason is to offset one set of RISKS against another. Schools opening might bring about say 10,000 cases, closing pubs simultaneously might reduce the number of cases by 10,000.
I know many pubs are following the guidelines but sadly when we hear of those flouting the rules and encouraging big gatherings they are bringing the industry into the high risk category.

Namsnanny Sun 02-Aug-20 10:15:13

Is there any evidence for the speculative figure of 10,000?

Callistemon Sun 02-Aug-20 10:16:53

Schools here will have staggered re-opening dates in September so it will be another 6 or 7 weeks before they are fully opened again.

A spike was anticipated in October - are they thinking of shutting hospitality venues in September? It sounds as if the proposal is to shut them again now.

Kate1949 Sun 02-Aug-20 10:18:37

Of course schools are more important than pubs. However, our daughter works in a senior school. She said when they reopen, all hell will break loose Covid wise. She said teenagers who haven't seen each other for weeks will be hugging and jumping all over each other. Social distancing will go out of the window. We went to a pub last night. They had strict rules in place and everyone was sticking to them.

EllanVannin Sun 02-Aug-20 10:23:25

Children's behaviours are only as good as their parents behaviour. Society is positively neurotic.

Ellianne Sun 02-Aug-20 10:30:04

I wouldn't have thought they will close pubs for a while having just fallen over backwards to help the hospitality industry. I would have thought it might coincide with the first month or so back at school. Surely they are going to have to do something about Christmas parties and functions too where a whole workforce gathers together.

Ellianne Sun 02-Aug-20 10:31:47

No Namsnanny, just a random figure used as an example to illustrate the risk theory. Could be way higher or way lower.

Medievalist1066 Sun 02-Aug-20 11:16:38

DH is a secondary school science teacher - in Wales - he is classed as clinically vulnerable (scores quite high on the risk assessment as he is 60, male, overweight and has had a heart attack).

The intention in Wales is for schools to reopen as normal in September - with a short amount of staggering in the first two weeks.

He is petrified. He has been told he either returns and teaches as normal, or applies to be redeployed, with no idea as what or at what salary, etc. They say that face masks/shields will not be needed or necessary - no social distancing either, just hand washing and classroom cleanliness.

It’s really worrying us - but we have no idea what to do. Retirement is not really an option as money is still an issue - and not an ideal environment at the moment to try and get a new job either!

Ellianne Sun 02-Aug-20 11:35:00

I think your husband should question that M1066. Any teachers of subjects like Science, Food Technology, Art etc where they have to get close to the children to demonstrate would be well advised to wear a visor. Also from a safety aspect, as these are practical subjects which could be dangerous and require the teacher to step in to protect a child from harm.
But children have to return to school.

Medievalist1066 Sun 02-Aug-20 12:12:01

@Ellianne

He has queried it, and has been told he can wear a shield or mask if he feels he needs to, but current thinking appears to suggest that masks protect others, not the wearer. He will wear a mask and/or shield, as he does now when he has to interact with others.

The 3 weeks that schools were open here showed that social distancing amongst teachers is practically non-existent. My DH was the only teacher that wore a mask/shield - and the School was only at 1/5th capacity each day.

I agree that schools need to open - of course, but for LAs to think that this can be done safely by just opening the doors to 100% of pupils and getting back to ‘normal’, I think is foolhardy and not to say dangerous.

At least pubs/restaurants have to follow stricter guidance indoors.