Gransnet forums

Chat

What determines something as common and tacky

(158 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Tue 04-Aug-20 09:19:30

Saw this post on mumsnet, and decided to ask on here for opinions,

quizqueen Tue 04-Aug-20 13:21:09

Well, I'm quite happy to judge people as common and tacky by what they wear and how they conduct themselves. I think it is human nature to do so and the rest of you are being very uneconomical with the truth because you're all happy to make comments about anything!

Here's a list-for both sexes
dressing with boobs or stomach hanging out in too short a skirt if you haven't got the shape for it
dressing in any clothes which are far too tight.. see above
a multitude of tattoos and piercings
hair bleached to resemble straw and make up an inch thick with ridiculous false eyelashes
constantly shouting at your kids and they take no notice
leaving litter everywhere
having poor understanding of the most basic of general knowledge or current affairs
chewing gum and spitting it out
throwing fag ends on the floor
leaving dog poo for people to tread in....and so

Curlywhirly Tue 04-Aug-20 13:27:43

Definitely eating in the street - I also had that school rule drummed into me! People who swear in public and I know this will be very unpopular with some people: tattoos; try as I might to get along with them, I just think they look awful.

Grammaretto Tue 04-Aug-20 13:29:23

Did anyone else catch Victoria Wood last night ^ Our Friend Victoria^ on diet and appearance. She was brilliant and managed to poke fun so gently without cruelty. She sent herself up and took us all with her.

I can still remember my mother's look as she was introduced to a boy my teenaged sister brought home. She was polite but his winklepickers were a step too far!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 04-Aug-20 13:33:18

Slightly at a tangent - my parents once took us to a fairly posh restaurant on holiday (chip shop closed) and we were in mortal fear of being thought 'common' or 'showing ourselves up' in front of the other diners. This would have been fodder for Alan Bennett.
I expect 'tacky' clothing is the type that Coronation Street's Bet Lynch would have worn - flashy jewellery, animal print, heels just that bit too high, etc. Don't many of us like to think that our own taste is better than other peoples?

Puzzler61 Tue 04-Aug-20 13:50:44

Yes Grammaretto we did.

Victoria Wood was very clever at the way she laughed with people of a certain size or with afflictions, not at them. Her characterisations were fabulously funny ?

GagaJo Tue 04-Aug-20 13:55:33

One of my pet hates is shabby chic, I call it shabby sh*t. Fortunately it seems to be on the way out of fashion.

Some one on a FB local group I'm in last week posted a photograph of a labrador-sized silver and glass bejewelled lion for sale. I was so horrified I couldn't even muster a comment.

Callistemon Tue 04-Aug-20 13:59:26

I think I am rather shabby lately since lockdown but I have never been what I would call chic.

Shabby unchic?

Grammaretto Tue 04-Aug-20 14:11:45

I get anxious when I am supposed to Like something whether on facebook or in real life. Someone says "isn't that gorgeous" when you think know it's hideous.
It's possibly the only time I am tempted to lie!

lemongrove Tue 04-Aug-20 14:20:02

Lucca

I’ve not heard the word common used for about fifty years,

Saw a couple of young women on their way into town last Friday. Politely I would describe their figures as extremely ....um....generous, and their outfits (bright red hot pants and boob tube for example) as um....ill-advised
But I never said tacky or the other word.

That was me and Doodle on our way to The Argy Bargy Bar
Last Friday was Ayia Napia Nite.?

timetogo2016 Tue 04-Aug-20 14:23:01

I f it weren`t for all the tacky/common stuff being bought,some poor Chinese/Asian folk would be starving and on the streets.
And yes Teetime you are spot on.

farview Tue 04-Aug-20 14:23:14

lemongrove????

lemongrove Tue 04-Aug-20 14:32:57

quizqueen

Well, I'm quite happy to judge people as common and tacky by what they wear and how they conduct themselves. I think it is human nature to do so and the rest of you are being very uneconomical with the truth because you're all happy to make comments about anything!

Here's a list-for both sexes
dressing with boobs or stomach hanging out in too short a skirt if you haven't got the shape for it
dressing in any clothes which are far too tight.. see above
a multitude of tattoos and piercings
hair bleached to resemble straw and make up an inch thick with ridiculous false eyelashes
constantly shouting at your kids and they take no notice
leaving litter everywhere
having poor understanding of the most basic of general knowledge or current affairs
chewing gum and spitting it out
throwing fag ends on the floor
leaving dog poo for people to tread in....and so

I’m quite happy to agree with you ....and will add
Long false nails, more like talons
Eyebrows which resemble dark caterpillers
Eye poppingly awful ornaments ( my Grandmother was a sucker for those)?

Millie22 Tue 04-Aug-20 14:45:26

I saw the thread on MN as well and didn't they go on about Yankee candles and a certain brand of trainers.

kittylester Tue 04-Aug-20 14:49:31

If I say something is common and tacky then it obviously is!

sodapop Tue 04-Aug-20 16:04:22

Callistemon love the tackiness of high heels with fluorescent socks - priceless grin

GagaJo Tue 04-Aug-20 16:17:27

sodapop

Callistemon love the tackiness of high heels with fluorescent socks - priceless grin

Is that not so tacky it spills over into kitch?

toscalily Tue 04-Aug-20 16:41:41

Oh dear me the Bet Lynch look with animal print comes into fashion every so often, think with the new Beyonce video it will probably be be back in vogue.

Madgran77 Tue 04-Aug-20 16:49:05

I think common and tacky are silly definitions that should be ignored completely

Callistemon Tue 04-Aug-20 16:53:13

*kitsch - appreciated in an ironic or knowing way^

hmm I don't think the person I knew who wore that combination would realise she was being kitsch.

jacq10 Tue 04-Aug-20 17:00:30

This all brings to mind Dolly Parton's statement "It's taken a lot of money to look this cheap" and don't think she done too badly for herself. A genuine good person who has never forgotten where she came from and has put a lot back into the community.

Grannybags Tue 04-Aug-20 17:01:35

When I had my ears pierced aged about 13 my teacher said I looked like a tart and a gypsy - I assume that's common!

AGAA4 Tue 04-Aug-20 17:10:57

It's human nature to find some things slightly offensive or 'tacky'. The way we were brought up I suppose. I remember some of the things already mentioned my mother would forbid as being common - eating in the street, girls smoking in the street (ok for men!) Too much make-up or any make-up till I was 16.

PinkCakes Tue 04-Aug-20 17:31:50

Common and tacky, to me:

Katie Price
Kerry Katona
unattractive men who walk around topless in the summer, tattoos (particularly on women)
people who walk around whilst eating and drinking
anyone wearing far too much make-up
massively long fingernails, often painted in garish colours.

Peardrop50 Tue 04-Aug-20 17:37:39

Oh dahlings there is so much stuff the aspiring classes say that make ones toes curl

serviette instead of napkin
pardon instead of what
lounge instead of sitting room

not to mention pronunciation such as hounds should be pronounced hinds

then there's that awful little pinky whats it sticking up when one is drinking ones tea from ones china cup, no, no.

Lemon That was a jolly fun Aiya Napa night in The Argy Bargy Bar. Shall we do posh night in the future. Pearls and sensible shoes, not white and definitely not with coloured socks.

Kandinsky Tue 04-Aug-20 17:39:49

Common & tacky.......tattoos. ( especially on women )