Gransnet forums

Chat

Public cleavages

(171 Posts)
Baggs Wed 05-Aug-20 11:32:28

Is it polite to have your cleavage on display at a funeral?

GreenGran78 Thu 06-Aug-20 22:44:45

As a church choir member, singing from an elevated balcony at the rear of the church, we often get spectacular aerial views of some ladies. both at funerals and weddings. Plunging necklines and short/skin-tight clothes are fairly common at both kinds of. service. We also spot people using phones, eating sweets, and various other unsuitable activities.
I feel particularly embarrassed on behalf of our elderly Parish Priest, at times. Lo and behold is a very accurate description of many bride’s dresses. When he is standing a step higher than the brides he often mustn’t know where to look.

Legs55 Thu 06-Aug-20 22:31:16

Last year I attended a friend's Funeral, family requested that we all wore bright colours. Everyone complied, have never seen such a wonderful display of Hawaiian shirts on the men & bright clothes on the Ladies.

It was a joyous Funeral, full of laugher & a true reflection of the Lady's life.

My DF banned the wearing of black at his Funeral over 40 years ago.

I'm proud of my cleavage but would never have it on display at a Funeral. Another thing I dislike is a Bride in Church with bare shouldershmm

AA99 Thu 06-Aug-20 19:15:07

I think it should depend on who's funeral it is. If he or she would really appreciate you showing your cleavage, then please the person you're grieving for.

Kim19 Thu 06-Aug-20 19:08:18

I'm always uncomfortable with cleavages. Don't know why. It has regularly been my opinion that the higher the neckline, the more attractive the wearer. Don't even remotely consider myself a prude but I can't explain my discomforture over these.

geekesse Thu 06-Aug-20 18:48:32

I went to several funerals last year, including my Dad’s and a young ex-student’s. I don’t remember what anyone wore to any of them - I was wholly focused on the grief I felt at losing dear people. If someone is busy assessing the appropriateness of other people’s clothes at a time like that, they probably don’t care enough about the deceased to be there at all.

Noreen3 Thu 06-Aug-20 18:37:30

my husband died 2 years ago,he was in a care home.The care home manager wore a brightly coloured low cut dress to the funeral.When she got up to speak,she explained that it was it was a strange choice,but it was one that my husband liked to see her wear,which I knew was true,and I didn't mind.But when I spoke to my sister in law afterwards, she said it was the most ridiculous dress she had ever seen at a funeral,and completely unsuitable .But I thought it was just a bit of fun,and my husband would have approved

Kate1949 Thu 06-Aug-20 17:21:25

I have a friend who I've known for over 50 years. She always has, and still does, show large amounts of cleavage. She is 70. She says she doesn't care what people think as her husband likes boobs and if she has hers showing, he won't look at other women's. I'm sure there's logic in there somewhere. smile

Oldbat1 Thu 06-Aug-20 17:20:29

Personally I hate seeing cleavages! Doesn’t matter where or when could be funerals, weddings, dinner dances, cruises, work. Etc etc However it is entirely up to the person - they obviously think it looks good and feel comfortable with it. We are all different thank god.

grannysyb Thu 06-Aug-20 17:07:53

Slightly off topic, years ago my DH was a member of a golf club. We got the invitation to the Christmas "do", and it said "black tie, and ladies, cleavages will be worn." We did not attend!

Galaxy Thu 06-Aug-20 16:44:37

But if I got to know someone they may mention their dislike of cleavage grin as people have mentioned it on here, then I would decide that I would prefer to hang around with the people showing cleavage than the people judging wonens appearances (and it's pretty much always women). Judging happens all the time sometimes its not based on appearance sometimes it's based on behaviour.

Baggs Thu 06-Aug-20 16:34:53

How would you know if someone "worried" about cleavage, galaxy?

If you met me at a gathering where there was cleavage on display, you wouldn't know that I disliked it. Having a discussion about it on Gransnet is not the same as talking loudly about it in public. It seems to me that you are the people judger, by making sich assumptions based on a theoretical discussion.

lemongrove Thu 06-Aug-20 16:34:45

Struggling2do1

Lemongrove, you are hilarious.
Dress requirements noted, I have a nice hat & can improvise & use a net curtain for the veil. I hope that it won’t be needed for many years though ?.

Thank you dear old Struggling I hope it won’t be for a while either.I also demand that you carry and use a black lace hanky to sniffle into.?

Tanjamaltija Thu 06-Aug-20 16:21:37

At funerals, other things besides cleavage annoy me; short sleeves, tight dresses, lots of jewellery, stilettoes, miniskirts, skinfit jeans... and these are visible from all around a person,. i.e. you don't have to be looking specifically for them.

Galaxy Thu 06-Aug-20 16:19:52

But if you hear them make a comment and people are rarely subtle about it, then you can judge. I would rather spend time with someone showing cleavage than someone who worried about cleavage.

Jaxie Thu 06-Aug-20 16:18:58

It probably depends if it’s wrinkled. Some women seem to love the attention they get from men when they display their cleavage, whatever the occasion. Some brides getting married in church amaze me by their revealing choice of dress.

Baggs Thu 06-Aug-20 16:12:35

Just as every gransnetter alive must have done when deciding which outfits/styles she liked and which she (or he) didn't.

Baggs Thu 06-Aug-20 16:11:29

In fact, how can you judge a person you don't even know? You can't. But you can judge their style of attire.

Baggs Thu 06-Aug-20 16:10:07

I think it's fine to judge peoples appearance as long as people realise there are people who are judging the judgers

I agree. Except the judgers of the judgers should be judging the appearance of the original judgers, not people in (or wearing) the appearance that's being judged. I think most people haven't understood the fine distinction between judging a style and judging a person. My fashion judgments are of style, not of people.

Baggs Thu 06-Aug-20 16:06:50

Yes. As I commented some time ago up thread. Thank you for reminding people, galaxy.

Riggie Thu 06-Aug-20 16:06:07

Similar to Oldwoman, attended a funeral where one of the family was totally inappropriately dressed. Low neckline, short length, skin tight, and in need of what my mother would have called some decent foundation garments - reminded me of the sort of thing Diana Dors would have worn while playing a tart...

Galaxy Thu 06-Aug-20 16:06:00

I think it's fine to judge peoples appearance as long as people realise there are people who are judging the judgersgrin

Galaxy Thu 06-Aug-20 16:05:04

No one was at the funeral because it wasnt at the funeral.

Baggs Thu 06-Aug-20 15:59:52

If it's snooty not to like bosom or bum cleavages to be on display, except maybe on a beach, then I'm snooty and happy to be so.

Baggs Thu 06-Aug-20 15:58:45

Sorry. Wrong quote. It should have been: Maybe at a funeral one's mind could be on things

Baggs Thu 06-Aug-20 15:57:29

I don’t understand the constant need to judge women’s outfits though, anyway

Small point, paperback, I wasn't at the funeral.