Gransnet forums

Chat

Feeding workmen

(106 Posts)
Lesley60 Wed 05-Aug-20 17:26:11

I’m just wondering if you are expected to feed workmen.
I am having a new kitchen fitted and the cooker and fridge have been disconnected, I offer endless cups of tea, biscuits and crisps or cold drinks to the fitter but I feel guilty if my husband pops out to get us a sandwich and we eat it in the living room, the kitchen is like a bomb site so I’m unable to make one in there.
Should I have to buy this stranger a sandwich or should he bring his own.

sharon103 Fri 07-Aug-20 20:55:45

I always offer tea. coffee or a cold can from the fridge and biscuits.

welbeck Sat 08-Aug-20 00:19:32

this reminds me of a plumber who told me about a person who rang him out of the blue because she had a leak or some such pressing problem.
despite not being a customer of his, he agreed to come round.
when she realised he was the plumber she literally told him to use the tradesmen's entrance and was closing the front door.
no, he said, my father had to put up with that nonsense; if i'm not good enough to come through the front door, you can get someone else. and he left. good for him !

Tweedle24 Sat 08-Aug-20 11:23:45

The story about the instant coffee for the tradesman reminded me of an instance when I was younger.

When I was a student nurse in the RAF some of the sisters came from wealthy backgrounds and considered us as ‘below the salt’. One Christmas another student and I were offered a glass of sherry for a ‘treat’. The sister asked us if we had had sherry before, assuming our families were too poor to have it at home. My friend, the other student, looked at the bottle and said, “Yes, Ma-am, but, but never South African. We always have Spanish at home”

Dinahmo Sat 08-Aug-20 13:17:41

Another of my OH's clients was an extremely wealthy man with houses all overe the world. He even employed staff to do his collecting for him. So, he might decide to buy aboriginal artefacts and the staff would search for the good stuff and go to auctions etc. He also bought a Rubens for his father as a birthday present. You may remember reading about it. Anyway the foregoing is to show how rich he is.

This man used to moan at his staff for buying the coloured plastic coated paperclips. The ordinary ones were quite good enough.

Luckygirl Sat 08-Aug-20 15:42:55

ATM with Covid the rules mean that you cannot feed them - certainly the rules for my removal quotes state that the (wo)men will bring their own refreshments and I am not to offer them anything.