Gransnet forums

Chat

Tin salmon poisoning?

(13 Posts)
Bluebellwould Wed 05-Aug-20 20:46:06

This is a genuine query. Opened a tin of red salmon bought today from large supermarket, own brand. Out of date in 2024. Smelt really really fishy, but I’d already poured it over my salad. Thought it was just because I hadn’t smelt fish for a year so there was nothing wrong with it. Decided (idiot) to eat it. Managed a few forkfuls because it was awful. Now worried about food poisoning. Anybody had any food poisoning from tinned salmon before? Tried looking it up online and it’s not much help. Help please.

tanith Wed 05-Aug-20 20:53:19

I’ve never had a problem with tinned salmon, I suppose you could ring NHS for advice if you get any sign of stomach upset.

Grannynannywanny Wed 05-Aug-20 21:04:01

Not from tinned fish but I did have food poisoning a few years ago from a tuna steak. Started within an hour and gone within 24hrs( the sickness not me!)

Hopefully you’ll be fine. But maybe in meantime you should hold onto the tin and any remaining scraps in case it was a faulty batch that needs withdrawn from circulation

Bluebellwould Wed 05-Aug-20 21:06:01

Thank you, will keep it just in case. If you don’t hear from me again, I will have succumbed 🤢

Grannynannywanny Wed 05-Aug-20 21:11:32

I hope you’ll be fine Bluebellwould

Farmor15 Wed 05-Aug-20 21:18:48

Don’t want to alarm you but there was a case of botulism from tinned salmon back in 1970s. Symptoms are not typical of other types of food poisoning, www.nhs.uk/conditions/botulism/
It’s very rare, so unlikely you have it.

harrigran Wed 05-Aug-20 22:47:07

I was going to mention botulism. If a tin gets even the tiniest hole the food content can deteriorate and cause problems. I always check for 'blown'tins and sniff contents before use. If in doubt throw it out.

DillytheGardener Wed 05-Aug-20 22:54:36

Hopefully if you just ate a little you will be fine. If you feel queasy ( even just from worrying) some ginger beer and dry rice crackers always settles my stomach.

maddyone Wed 05-Aug-20 22:59:15

Hope you’ll be okay bluebellewould
I’ve had food poisoning twice from salmon, but both times fresh salmon. Once it was smoked salmon, eaten at a restaurant for breakfast, the other at someone’s home after eating a fresh salmon home made mousse. Both time’s it was absolutely vile. It starts about six hours after you’ve eaten the food, and lasts about three to six hours, after which you’re exhausted by the vomiting and toilet visits.
Fingers crossed you haven’t got it.

Nannytopsy Wed 05-Aug-20 23:04:09

Definitely phone the NHS, sooner rather than later. Botulism is very serious.

welbeck Thu 06-Aug-20 00:09:07

i think that kind of food poisoning i different from the usual.
it's something to do with chemical reactions producing toxins , related to the metal of the tin. possibly.
this happened a long time ago re tuna. does anyone remember. i seem to think it was called tunny fish then. it went out of circulation, then when it came back it was called tuna.
anyway OP ring 111 for advice/ reassurance. good luck.

Nannytopsy Thu 06-Aug-20 07:16:13

It is caused by Clostridium botulinum and the bacteria create a waste product which is toxic. There was an outbreak in the 70s caused by contaminated tinned fish but any tin which is swollen (blown) shouldn’t be used.

Esspee Thu 06-Aug-20 07:17:07

Bluebellwould How are you feeling this morning?