Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(63 Posts)
12Michael Fri 07-Aug-20 06:15:03

Good Morning Everyone ,
Its a clear blue sky start here in Brackley ,and what appears could be a very hot day .
Yesterdays bus and shop trips went Ok , got back earlier than planned so watched a cycle race on Eurosport, which involved a UK base team event was in France and featured a climb up the barren landscape of Mont Ventoux.
Today , shop this morning and more cycling n TV the first race will see Chris Froome battle for selection for the Tour De France.
Take Care
Mick

Grandmabatty Fri 07-Aug-20 08:09:54

Good morning All. It's a nice day in Polmont. I have nothing planned at all. Kittylester happy birthday to your dh. marydoll I hope you feel better soon. When I was teaching I took a school party to Russia but no zip wires! Have a good day all.

Mythbirtthedragon Fri 07-Aug-20 08:11:21

Good morning from east London, sunny, blue and hot. Tennis coach and play this morning, well lathered with sun cream and optician’s appointment this afternoon. DP has suggested while I’m there, I can do some food shopping, get the car washed and fill up with petrol. After a few words, the resolution is that he will come with me, do some shopping, get the car washed etc.
And on that line, as I’ve decided to take a break from Gransnet for a while (my time on the ‘marshes’ with restricted access to social media has made me think), I will wish all of you lovely people all the best and hope you have lots of good days.

Kalu Fri 07-Aug-20 08:13:49

Happy birthday to your DH kitty and enjoy your exciting trip to JL and the delicious Tournedos Rossini you are planning for later. Good news re your DS.

There seems to be a bit of confusion this morning, anzi’s Golden Wedding anniversary is tomorrow. ?

Scentia Fri 07-Aug-20 08:16:29

Good Morning all from Yorkshire. We got to Whitby safely yesterday, but it was rammed so we decided to move to Egton down the road. We are going to be walking around here anyway so felt that we wouldn’t feel comfortable squeezed into pubs and cafes in Whitby. We made the right decision as it is lovely here. I had a lovely birthday and was made to get drunk last night! We are off walking and geocaching today. I seem to be the only one of our party of 4 who is interested in the geocaching but ‘hey ho’?

I do hope you all have a lovely day today, and enjoy this sunshine. I am off down for breakfast soon, I am hungry.

Gelisajams Fri 07-Aug-20 08:18:16

Good morning from a dry warm Morecambe Bay. DH is out running before it gets too hot and I’ve been reading in bed with my bucket of tea. I still haven’t got used to this bucket after losing my Peter Rabbit one a few weeks ago.
Marydoll’s tale of the zip wire reminded me of when I was teaching. We were at an intersports event in the next town and the children were running about waiting for their event. (It was more relaxed then) I was the only teacher there, others were parents. This little lad nonchalantly walked up to me and said “Miss, I think I’ve broken my arm” I looked at him, and there was no mistaking what he said was right. No mobile phones of course so I had to run to the nearest house to phone an ambulance. Happy Days!
We are having DGD6 to stay for the weekend. Mum will bring her up later and we will take her back on Sunday. Haven’t seen her in ages! When I confirmed arrangements with DS3 yesterday I asked if she was well. I was told she’s in good health but has become a little madam!
Must get up and clean the house. Why do we do extra cleaning when someone visits?
Hoping all is well at the Gillybobs and that elusive order finally materialises.
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

Urmstongran Fri 07-Aug-20 08:18:23

Ah mythbirt restricted GN use is possibly a good thing now & again. It’s too easy to get sucked down the tubes isn’t it? Maw posts less frequently these days too. ‘Hi Maw if you’re reading the thread’! I recall she said she was giving GN up for Lent and I thought ‘wow now that’s hard core’ but she did it!

Greyduster Fri 07-Aug-20 08:34:55

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from an already sunny North Cornwall. It’s a long way here from South Yorkshire and whatever we do today I hope it doesn’t involve a lot of activity, though if GS has his way that won’t be the case! At the moment no-one is up but me, so I will go and put the kettle on.
Happy Birthday *Mr KittyL*??! Have a good day folks.

Puzzler61 Fri 07-Aug-20 08:47:45

Good morning Mick and All from a steamy Worcs.
I’ve been pottering amongst my plants before the heat gets intense - hence I am later wishing you a Good Morning.

Superb news re: your DS and his negative Covid test kittyl

Marydoll sorry you’ve had a bad night. Get some ? ? in
at siesta time if you can.

A friend is visiting this morning and we’ll have a drink and chatter in the garden. She has darker skin than me so she can sit in the sun - I’ll be under the parasol ☂️

Enjoy this little bit of continental style weather everyone and take it easy. ?

Puzzler61 Fri 07-Aug-20 08:50:26

And grandmattie who also didn’t get a good night’s sleep.
Siesta for you later somewhere cool behind shutters ?

gillgran Fri 07-Aug-20 08:50:39

Good Morning to you all from a sunny & already hot Cambs.,

Kittylester, Happy at your DS's result, & many happy returns to your DH.
(like my DH, just missed out on getting a free TV licence.) !

Good wishes to all who are still "under par".

Take Care Folks

Anniebach Fri 07-Aug-20 08:50:39

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

kittylester Fri 07-Aug-20 08:57:23

Thank you for your good wishes for dh!

Obvs, I meant that JL would have the air con NOT the chairs but it looks as though neither will be cool so we might postpone - DH is a bit old now for too much heat! grin

GrannySomerset Fri 07-Aug-20 09:00:25

DS, fiancée and two teenage GC arriving for lunch on their way home from a week away so must bestir myself a bit. GS loves sausage rolls but it’s too hot for baking so he will have to put up with Tesco profiteroles as an alternative treat. Going to be too hot for almost anything, I think, and I don’t envy them the M4 in such conditions.

Grammaretto Fri 07-Aug-20 09:12:22

Good morning all from the Scottish Borders where it ain't sunny at all. Maybe later.

I am relieved. DH had emergency surgery last night and I have phoned the ward and he's OK. It was successful. I couldn't stay last night but I am allowed to visit this afternoon.

Your zip wire story Marydoll reminds me of the time DGD went on it, aged just 4 and crashed into a tree. I helped her down and asked her where it hurt. "It's my forehead grannie - that's where my thoughts are!" I knew she would be alright. smile

BladeAnnie Fri 07-Aug-20 09:19:48

Good morning all from a sunny and already hot mid-Notts. I saw DD1 and DGD1 yesterday and her little face when she saw me - I wanted to cry. I have an ex-work friend visiting this morning . We have some lovely shady seating at the bottom of the garden so we will sit there and watch the river go by while Mr BA serves us drinks!! Staycation?? Hope everyone has the best day possible and please stay safe x

MellowYellow Fri 07-Aug-20 09:21:13

Morning everyone from a hot but cloudy south Cornwall. The sun will break through no doubt so one place I won't be going to is the beach today. It'll be bonkers there! A book and a flask of coffee under a tree at the park I think. grandMattie I too was up at 3, in the bath trying to relieve hip pain and then sitting on my patio at 5 under a gentle soft rain. The best day possible to all of you.

Susan56 Fri 07-Aug-20 09:26:24

Grammaretto,pleased your DH’s emergency surgery went well and that you can visit him this afternoon.Him needing emergency surgery will have been a shock for you.
Sending good wishes to you both?

Grandmafrench Fri 07-Aug-20 09:41:00

Good Morning everyone ! See that the summer sunshine I promised to send you has arrived.

Happy Birthday Mr Lester - stay cool. So pleased about Mr Lester Junior's results. What a relief. Hope you are having a lovely time, Greyduster but don't forget, even on a family holiday, you need to get some rest and some you-time as well.

Stay safe and maybe see you here again, Mybirtthedragon ?

I too was up and out pottering in my plot early, Puzzler. I have got bitten for my pains - but the flowers look good. I need to stop leaving the insect spray on the garden table as a kind of threat, and start putting it on my skin before gardening. Maybe that's the way forwardgrin

Think I have sussed your surprise, MD but I'm saying NUFFINK. Hope you sleep tonight, you need that rest and repair. Same for you GrandMattie - you sound like someone who needs an air conditioning unit for your bedroom - somewhere to go when you can't cope. The UK can be so warm and muggy sometimes. Mr Gillybob please continue to make a long-awaited recovery.

Urms no one could ever say you're not kind! (Shouldn't think they ever have). Bet your waiter friend and his family think all their Christmases have come at once. Whoops, sorry about the C word!

After some ironing - in a cool shuttered room, I shall find something interesting to have for lunch and then stretch out in the garden sharing some life with Michelle. I'm so enjoying Mrs Obama's book. Taking me a while to read because I can't read in bed on my iPad, it's too heavy and can't just be abandoned like a book. If I lie down with it, there's a chance that I'll be struck in the face if I doze off. Don't want to turn our bedroom into a hazardous zone! Can see why recently she (Mrs Obama) has said that she's struggling with (mild) depression at the mo'. The state of the States!! If the world wasn't in a bad enough place, living there now wouldn't make that any better, I should imagine.

Seize the day and soak up all that Vitamin D., folks. Hope that whether you're in Provence (like Nortstat) (?!) or Polmont - Grandmabatty something good happens today and you can smile.

To everyone struggling, you're going to come through it, just don't give up or give in.

Hugs from French France x

Kalu Fri 07-Aug-20 09:41:40

What a worrying time for you both*Grammaretto*. Pleased to hear though that your DH’s surgery was successful and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Puzzler61 Fri 07-Aug-20 09:42:26

Welcome anzie to our very friendly Morning thread,
and a Happy Anniversary too ? ?

Grandmafrench Fri 07-Aug-20 09:47:56

Oh dear, just seen Grammaretto's news. Emergency surgery is not going to be good for either of you, but hopefully he'll be soon on the mend now. Hope you find him in good spirits this afternoon. All good wishes to you and to him.

Poor Mellow - hope you get some relief from that pain today.

You're quiet Ellan - hope you're o.k.

harrigran Fri 07-Aug-20 09:48:14

Good morning from a hazy, mild NE.
Slept late after disturbed night, DH up every hour.
A day in the garden for us probably, I wouldn't go anywhere near our beach.
Happy birthday to Mr kitty, I will raise a glass this afternoon when we have our champers in the garden.
Looks as if even us northerners are going to have a summer's day ?

Mapleleaf Fri 07-Aug-20 09:52:15

Good morning all from a very sunny and warm South Yorkshire. It's already touching 25 C so is going to be very hot by this afternoon. Supposedly reaching approximately 29 C, which for up here is pretty hot.

Just a faffing sort of day here. I've a bit of ironing to do, but that can wait until it cools down, so I think it's more likely to be feet up with my book today once I've done a quick tidy round.

Looking forward to hearing your exciting news tomorrow, marydoll. I've an inkling as to what it could be but might be completely wrong. ?

What a worry for you, Granmaretto, but you must be so relieved that you can visit your DH this afternoon. Sending good wishes to you both. ?

I hope that you all can manage to enjoy the sunshine without getting too hot and bothered.

Kind thoughts to all the GM's who are unwell, worried or frightened, and especially thinking of BlueSapphire, Dragonfly and Cherry ????

Callistemon Fri 07-Aug-20 09:56:00

Good morning Mick and everyone from SE Wales. I think we have a micro climate here as it always seems to be different from the forecast. It has clouded over.

We were expecting friends for a visit yesterday for the first time for a self distanced brew in the garden but it rained steadily all day and she said she didn't feel great so it's postponed. Fingers crossed it's part of an ongoing problem and not the virus.

The idea was to make some more face masks today or make some plum jam but, if it is going to be hot, perhaps a day's holiday in the garden might be a good idea ⛱

I hope you have good news tomorrow to perk you up Marydoll
I have a zip wire story too, perhaps for another day! I'm just recovering from an anxiety dream (I never used to have these).
Wishing Mr G a good recovery

Best wishes to all and congratulations to anyone with a special anniversary or birthday.

Serendipity22 Fri 07-Aug-20 09:57:12

Good morning from Yorkshire. smile

It's a lovely warm morning, no sun as yet, but that suits me just fine, lovely breeze.

Today I am ironing (( which I truly love )), washing all the bedding, hoovering and recovering my headboard, a job that has been in the making for.... ohhhhh.... let's see.... I'd say about 20 years !!!!

Enjoy your day everyone...
smilesmile