Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you do this when washing and ironing?

(77 Posts)
Peeteegee Fri 07-Aug-20 13:21:49

Hello everyone. I am thoroughly enjoying Gransnet, although too timid to join any threads just yet! However, when doing my washing and ironing recently, my neighbour pointed out to me that I was doing something unusual. I was doing several loads of bed linen and, as it came out of the washing machine, I ironed it and then hung it on the washing line to finish drying. I do this because I don’t like ironing when things are line dry (although I do have a fancy steam pressure iron), I just find it easier to iron it damp then hang it out to finish drying. Surely I’m not alone in doing this?!! Looking forward to your replies. Not an earth shattering new thread, but thought it might amuse some as it appears to have amused my neighbour! Wishing you all a happy Friday.

quizqueen Fri 07-Aug-20 14:51:41

I haven't ironed anything for years. Most modern fabrics don't need it anyway.

maydonoz Fri 07-Aug-20 15:04:28

Hi all I have a rotary washline and I tend to allocate each section, one to DH, one to myself and the third for towels, linen etc.
With the personal washing, I hang the small items first ie underwear etc gradually moving up to the longer/bigger items of clothing on the outer line.
It seems easier.and more practical like this.
As for ironing, I'm a pillow case only for ironing person, apart from the odd shirt or blouse. If ironing I bring them in damp and get it done straight away.
Happy wash and ironing days!

sodapop Fri 07-Aug-20 15:16:27

Not heard of that before Peeteegee must admit though I like things ironed I usually put it off for a while. My husband hangs out the washing as we have a cockerel in the garden who pecks me, ( that's my excuse)

Kalu Fri 07-Aug-20 15:37:30

You are not in the minority J52. ?One of my must haves is freshly laundered bed linen. Fresh, smooth and the wonderful smell. Ahh, bliss. Also shirts and tops.

I have never heard of anyone ironing wet clothes but I do confess to using matching coloured pegs??‍♀️

GrandmasueUK Fri 07-Aug-20 15:51:58

I have a lovely steam press for my bedding, which I love and I also use it for other clothes. Can sit and watch a film whilst I'm doing it!

My mum used to say that she wasn't ironing towels, she was 'just running the iron over them' - it made perfect sense to her grin

GillT57 Fri 07-Aug-20 15:58:51

Welcome Peeteegee, I don't iron very much at all, but anything linen such as trousers, tops, shirts are ironed damp and then hung out on a hanger, so you are not alone! I too have to match the pegs.......and without my saying anything at all, I noticed my DD rootling around in the peg basket looking for matching pegs when she was hanging out some washing, it must be in her dna.

Lexisgranny Fri 07-Aug-20 15:59:44

My mother, who it must be said was a very good ironer, used to meticulously iron everything, including tea towels, dusters, and even floor cloths"................ I don’t!!!!!!!

PinkCakes Fri 07-Aug-20 16:46:11

I've never ironed bedding! I hang duvet covers and sheets on the line, then fold them neatly when they are dry.

I have quite enough ironing to do, without creating more work for myself.

Squiffy Fri 07-Aug-20 17:18:57

Ironing??? Potters off to Google what it is . . . . .

AGAA4 Fri 07-Aug-20 17:20:21

If I am having guests then I iron the bedding but I iron it on the bed. I find that easier. Usually I just iron pillow cases.

shandi6570 Fri 07-Aug-20 17:20:46

Does anyone else occasionally feel the need to hide bras, pants etc... behind something else on a rotary clothes line? No? Oh, just me then ...

Yes OurKid1, I am guilty of this too, but in my defence we do live with a public footpath running down the side of our garden and you can see through into the area with the rotary dryer should you wish to be nosey grin

Desdemona Fri 07-Aug-20 17:27:06

My iron is gathering dust in its box somewhere, I haven't used it for a few years. I get stuff off the line and give it a shake and fold it as best I can and that's it. I am a bit lazy in the housework area.

Spangler Fri 07-Aug-20 17:27:30

quizqueen

I haven't ironed anything for years. Most modern fabrics don't need it anyway.

We haven't ironed a thing in years either. We have an ironing fairy. Seriously! The lady that does our ironing has a small van and on the side of the van it reads: "The Ironing Fairy."

Oopsminty Fri 07-Aug-20 17:28:56

I totally agree that ironing sheets fresh out of the washing machine would be a good idea

However I don't iron anything

Like Desdemona, my iron is languishing somewhere and I've no idea where the board is

It's been years I think

Baggs Fri 07-Aug-20 17:38:17

Should admit that all clothes are hung on the line on hangers

How do you hang knickers on a hanger? Can't help thinking they'd have hanger marks instead of peg marks.

You must have the wrong kind of pegs. My washing never has peg marks. I do have brilliant pegs, stainless steel ones.

phoenix Fri 07-Aug-20 17:48:45

Ironing mattress protectors shock WHY?

Curlywhirly Fri 07-Aug-20 17:54:08

Well I have to admit I am a washing and ironing addict ? (sad I know). I iron most things and yes, that includes my cotton bedding! I can't fathom how people can get away with not ironing ANYTHING; I know some clothes don't need ironing, especially if they have been tumble dried; but cotton (especially linen) still looks a bugger even after being tumbled!
I have on occasion ironed damp items, especially linen, and put them back on the line to air, but I don't do it often. However, I am rather slack in the matching peg dept. ?

FarNorth Fri 07-Aug-20 17:58:18

I used to have a rotary clothes line which was next to the street.
I never put bras or pants on it.

grannysyb Fri 07-Aug-20 18:05:37

Always iron my giant damask tablecloths this way, much easier!

Witzend Fri 07-Aug-20 18:20:32

@Bluebellwould ??

Reminded me of when elder sister was staying at younger sister’s and thought she’d help out by doing some ironing.
Having spent ages looking for an iron, she asked younger sister on her return home where on earth it was.
‘I haven’t got one!’ ?

Tabbycat Fri 07-Aug-20 18:40:44

Hello Peeteegee

I've only done that when I didn't have a tumble drier and someone wanted something urgently.

Can I confess that not only do I match pegs, but I aslo only use one colour in each section of the rotary drier blush?

When I'm bringing the washing in, I collect the clothes that need ironing first (and put them in the ironing basket) and then the things that I don't iron (knickers, underpants, underskirts socks etc.).

We all have our rituals ...

grandtanteJE65 Fri 07-Aug-20 18:46:49

I sometimes iron linen articles in the way you describe, but usually take the washing that is to be ironed in when it has the right degree of dampness left in it.

Your neigbour may think your way of doing things odd, but after all he apparently never irons anything, so don't bother about his opinion.

Grannynannywanny Fri 07-Aug-20 19:01:46

I only iron bed linen for guest beds. 2 of the duvet sets for my own bed require minimal ironing so I only use those 2 sets and I never iron them.
I have several tops that don’t need ironed if I remove them from the washing machine right away and put on hangers. So I tend to wear mostly them.

My mother would be ashamed of me! She took her laundry from the washing line directly to the ironing board every time. I don’t ever recall her having an ironing bundle.

Peardrop50 Fri 07-Aug-20 19:14:46

I have a fancy ironing press from the days we had holiday cottages. Takes about 15 minutes to iron a kingsize set, sheet, both sides of duvet cover and four pillow cases. I do like to climb in to freshly laundered bedding. I sling a few bits in the press when it's hot but mostly don't iron unless it's a shirt for a special occasion, not happening at the moment.
Only time I've ever ironed wet was a linen dress that was a b*****r to get the creases out.

Toadinthehole Fri 07-Aug-20 19:17:28

I often take things off the line, or out of the dryer slightly damp, and then iron them. I wouldn’t put something back in the dryer after ironing, but do on the line. I have never steam ironed and never will.