Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you do this when washing and ironing?

(77 Posts)
Peeteegee Fri 07-Aug-20 13:21:49

Hello everyone. I am thoroughly enjoying Gransnet, although too timid to join any threads just yet! However, when doing my washing and ironing recently, my neighbour pointed out to me that I was doing something unusual. I was doing several loads of bed linen and, as it came out of the washing machine, I ironed it and then hung it on the washing line to finish drying. I do this because I don’t like ironing when things are line dry (although I do have a fancy steam pressure iron), I just find it easier to iron it damp then hang it out to finish drying. Surely I’m not alone in doing this?!! Looking forward to your replies. Not an earth shattering new thread, but thought it might amuse some as it appears to have amused my neighbour! Wishing you all a happy Friday.

Humbertbear Sun 09-Aug-20 09:23:56

Who irons bedding? The only things I iron are my tops and trousers.

Serendipity22 Sun 09-Aug-20 08:45:38

Chewbacca

Ironing when stuff comes out of the washing machine? Ironing it when it's on the bed? Ironing mattress protectors? Ironing dish cloths? I'm in a parallel universe! I moved to this house 15 months ago and haven't found the box where the iron is yet. And I'm not looking.

Hahahahaha.... that's funny......
smile

Calendargirl Sat 08-Aug-20 16:05:33

Personally, I would worry that the mattress/pillow protectors were not aired, whether or not they have been ironed, and would not want them back on the bed the same day they had been washed.

I have spare ones.

Peeteegee Sat 08-Aug-20 13:57:37

Thank you all for your very interesting replies. I didn’t realise I am in the minority because I do the ironing (my partner often says if it stays still long enough, I will iron it!), but whilst I do ‘run the iron over’ - as GrandmasueUK’s mum said - tea cloths, dish cloths, towels and dusters (puts on helmet), I have managed to wean myself off ironing underwear! My washing machine seems to have a fairly efficient spin cycle as things come out damp, not wet, so in a perfect state for ironing. I don’t iron everything straight out of the machine, but definitely couldn’t put things away un-ironed - they just look too creased for that. I iron the mattress/pillow protectors to dry them so they can go back on the bed the same day. Honeyrose I hang my underwear on a clothes horse, not on the line, so I can keep my thousand-washed-grey-knickers hidden behind the hedge!

Tweedle24 Sat 08-Aug-20 12:37:15

Only if I am in the mood, I enjoy ironing while listening to the radio or watching a film on tv.
I only iron pillow slips for me and sheets for visitors although, I sometimes get carried away and do all the sheets —not those dreadful fitted ones, though.

My mother was a demon ironer and always offered to help with the ironing if she came to stay. Everything, and I mean, everything was ironed, even knickers. My daughter asked me to get her to stop because, after ironing, the stretch in her socks disappeared so they fell down.

While a friend was in hospital, her husband, bless him, was determined to show her he could ‘cope’ on his own. He rang me to ask what temperature to set the iron to do her tights!

readsalot Sat 08-Aug-20 12:02:32

I have plain wooden pegs too but always put socks in pairs on the line. My undies dry in the airing cupboard.

readsalot Sat 08-Aug-20 12:00:56

I love ironing! I though I must be in a minority, but not such a small one. I always iron bedding, except for fitted sheets. Both sides of the pillowcases and the bit that tucks in. Bliss.

henetha Sat 08-Aug-20 11:42:08

My back hates ironing and won't let me do it, unless at the point of a gun. Folding and patting are easier.
I only have little brown wooden pegs. I feel quite deprived
without multi-coloured ones.

Calendargirl Sat 08-Aug-20 10:09:48

I don’t know how damp the OP’s washing is when the cycle has finished, but mine would be too wet to iron.

Cannot visualise ironing washing straightaway, if I were a suspicious person, I might suspect a wind up.

Daddima Sat 08-Aug-20 09:50:55

Welcome, Peeteegee! Ironing duvet covers when wet sounds like an excellent idea, though I have only bought non-iron or ‘ easy care’ bed linen for ages. The matching pegs thing seems quite common, and I confess to having switched to wooden pegs to save myself the bother!
I ironed yesterday, as I have a few ( very few) items which really do need ironed, so if I’m going to wear one of them I tend to iron them all. I don’t expect to do it again for some weeks.

25Avalon Sat 08-Aug-20 08:00:43

I make sure to buy non iron cotton shirts for dh. I don’t iron duvet covers - just smooth them out but maybe there’s a market for non iron ones there.

Hetty58 Sat 08-Aug-20 06:32:44

I believe that, back in the distant past, ironing was done to destroy fleas and lice on clothing.

Surely (except for the few serious dressmakers/sewers) ironing equipment will be on display in museums soon.

Hetty58 Sat 08-Aug-20 06:25:28

Crikey Peeteegee! Life is far too short for ironing - especially bedlinen. I just steam anything that's too creased and spend my time on enjoyment!

Blinko Sat 08-Aug-20 06:12:42

Ironing - noooooo!

Chewbacca Sat 08-Aug-20 05:07:51

Ironing when stuff comes out of the washing machine? Ironing it when it's on the bed? Ironing mattress protectors? Ironing dish cloths? I'm in a parallel universe! I moved to this house 15 months ago and haven't found the box where the iron is yet. And I'm not looking.

vegansrock Sat 08-Aug-20 04:24:21

I am a seamstress of sorts and you can’t do serious sewing without ironing as you go along so I have an ironing board which is always set up in my sewing room. It is simple to iron the odd shirt or pillow case as required, but I wouldn’t bother ironing anything before hanging out to dry. I did have a fancy ironing system where the board got hot as well as the iron which was fun to use, but now I’ve just got a steam generator.

BlueSky Sat 08-Aug-20 00:47:28

Esspee

Ironing? What's that?

Exactly Esspee! grin

honeyrose Sat 08-Aug-20 00:21:49

Welcome to Gransnet Peeteegee. I’m a recent convert to GN too - and love it! That does sound unusual, ironing before hanging on the line, but if it works for you, that’s all that matters. I don’t iron much either, certainly not sheets and pillowcases, but I do iron shirts. I have noticed recently that my knickers are now looking thousand wash grey and i’m a bit embarrassed about hanging them on the line, but I just have to get over myself as I can’t really hide them as it’s a single washing line rather than a rotary! At least they’re clean. I feel virtuous hanging washing on the line as i’m not using electricity in the tumble drier (in the winter it can be a different story unless it’s a crisp, dry day).

annep1 Fri 07-Aug-20 23:31:43

Peeteegee you did make me laugh. I'm sure your neighbour watches fascinated on washing day.
I iron things that look wrinkled. I don't want to wear wrinkled clothes. I iron my duvet cover and pillow cases and the fold down part of the top sheet. If they are slightly damp it's easier. I think it's easier than straight out of the machine.
Protectors? Definitely not

Matching pegs? I couldn't tell you what colour they are. What does it matter?

Grannynannywanny Fri 07-Aug-20 23:23:56

Puzzler61 I’ve just used that method this evening! My son, dil and 2 little grandchildren are coming to stay for a week. I’m so excited to have them here for the first time in 5 months I’ve used my iron. I don’t think I’ve used it since the last time they were here

Esspee Fri 07-Aug-20 22:57:33

Ironing? What's that?

Puzzler61 Fri 07-Aug-20 22:53:31

I’m the same as AGAA4,
I wash and dry the bedlinen and iron the top of the duvet cover and the front of the pillowcases on the bed.
I discovered this was an easy way to do it after 40 years of wrestling with double duvet covers on a silly little ironing board.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 07-Aug-20 22:43:52

I don’t iron bedding when it’s damp before I put on the line, in fact I don’t iron bedding at all shock horror! But yes I do put the same coloured pegs together as I have pink blue green yellow orange metal ones, but when I wash my hair I put conditioner on first wash off and then shampoo it, so I do somethings backwards, I always like to be different, each to their own that’s what I say ??

NotTooOld Fri 07-Aug-20 22:30:32

I think we grans are the last generation to iron anything, same as we are the last generation to send greetings cards (paper ones).

BibiSarah Fri 07-Aug-20 19:25:42

Sorry. Just to add. But I don’t do my sons. His carers do it for him as anything else would be too dangerous but he does strip his bed and put all of his washing in the laundry room every morning after his shower.