Gransnet forums

Chat

Make your own mind up for goodness sake.

(16 Posts)
ginny Fri 07-Aug-20 19:52:58

Listening to the news, there are many people asking should they go abroad
If they are not sure or worried then don’t go.
If they don’t care and decide to go , then go. However , be prepared to take any consequences of that decision and don’t blame the government or anyone else if circumstances change
One minute people are saying “ I’m not letting the Government tell me what to do “ and then wanting a decision made for them.
Rant over.!

sharon103 Fri 07-Aug-20 19:55:49

Quite right ginny smile

GagaJo Fri 07-Aug-20 20:02:45

Exactly. It's been clear that the government couldn't be trusted to keep us safe since the very beginning of the outbreak so I have followed my own counsel regardless of their advice.

NotTooOld Fri 07-Aug-20 22:15:58

Someone on the radio this morning said we should pay for people who return from abroad and need to quarantine. He said they should be put up in a hotel and compensated for lost income. So then we could have a fortnight on a beach abroad and then enjoy two weeks in a UK hotel at tax payers' expense.

GagaJo Fri 07-Aug-20 22:19:42

Hmm. Around the world when people need to quarantine they are required to foot the bill. I've got friends who've done it in China and Korea. Why are the British so bloody awkward?

NotTooOld Fri 07-Aug-20 22:23:39

To be fair he was talking about people who live with other people in accommodation that would not allow for self isolation as there was limited room.
Does anyone check up on whether people are really quarantining or not?

GagaJo Fri 07-Aug-20 23:34:53

In other countries they are required to isolate in government assigned hotels. Which they have to pay for. I'm travelling back to work overseas in a week. Hotel quarantine for 10 days. I'm fortunate my school will pay.

ginny Fri 07-Aug-20 23:46:56

We have been advised for a while now , not to travel unless it is essential. A holiday is not essential. Why should anyone expect others to pay for their lack of common sense ?

maddyone Fri 07-Aug-20 23:55:53

It’ll be a bit boring Gaga for ten days confined to a hotel room. You’ll have to get plenty of rest, ready for the onslaught of energetic young students. Teaching is a tiring job.

infoman Sat 08-Aug-20 08:04:46

Let get and about and visit all those places we have always promised ourselves to visit in the U.K..

yorkie20 Sat 08-Aug-20 08:24:08

Yes lets get out and about in the UK..... I live in a coastal town and its heaving with tourists right now. Buses packed, long lines for half price food. No social distancing. Main street looking like Crufts dog show. Impossible to walk round family groups all just aimlessly wandering. Beaches packed.Long lines of cars trying to get into resort. Spoke to a tourist yesterday who had been to the beach and left as way too busy.

sodapop Sat 08-Aug-20 08:38:14

Couldn't agree more ginny. I would love to go and see my family in UK but we all feel its better to stay put for the time being.
Holidays abroad are definitely non essential.

Maggiemaybe Sat 08-Aug-20 08:45:35

There’s no need to have a go at other posters, yorkie20. There are plenty of places in the UK less crowded (and often much more interesting) than the usual tourist hot spots.

ladymuck Sat 08-Aug-20 08:52:44

This pandemic has shown up how pathetic some people are. We have been told of the dangers and how best to protect ourselves. Why do so many people seem unable to take responsibility for themselves? Do they want to be able to blame the government when they catch the virus through their own stupidity?

yorkie20 Sat 08-Aug-20 09:20:05

Maggie,,,,,Im not having a go at anyone just stating the facts where I live.

Maggiemaybe Sat 08-Aug-20 09:32:27

I’m sorry, yorkie if I got it wrong. flowers

There was an interesting news report on St Ives yesterday saying that though it is more crowded there than ever, there are actually fewer tourists for the time of year. The difference is that the locals aren’t going away.