Gransnet forums

Chat

Too many dogs

(78 Posts)
Gardendisy Sat 08-Aug-20 16:35:06

I live in a small village next door to a lady that breeds Border Collies and she has altogether 5 dogs.
I love dogs I have two Cairn terriers of my own. The dogs usually do not bother each other and everything is fine. However, a few times a year she has a friend that comes to stay and she has 6 Border Collies. They are not very friendly to say the least and every time anyone goes into the garden me or my dogs her dogs go absolutely mental. Then my two join in and it sounds like Battersea dogs home.
I’m getting really fed up now. My male dog has started scent marking everywhere and my girl dog just keeps yapping . This woman has been here for two weeks. 11 dogs next door ....... what can I do ?

Iam64 Tue 18-Aug-20 10:51:58

Furret-I read about the KC registered Judge who was fined last year.
I also know many good breeders, some of whom show their dogs. Its their livelihood and their dogs are as well cared for as their children. There will be the odd bad apple of course but it isn't fair to dismiss all dog breeders as bad owners. Puppy farms are an entirely different thing.

Furret Tue 18-Aug-20 10:06:10

No they were from KC registered breeders. Most are only in it for the money or status of having prize winning dogs. I know of at least one Cruft registered judge who was fined for neglect and lost her licence.

And although the majority of these dogs have not been physically mistreated their developmental needs have not been met. They totally lack confidence and the ability to deal with new situations. They have to learn to enjoy walks, climbs stairs, be taught how to play, how to interact with humans and other dogs. The list is endless.

But of course puppy farmers are the lowest of the low.

FlexibleFriend Tue 18-Aug-20 09:08:42

That sounds like dogs from a puppy farm rather than a breeder trying to produce the best pups possible. Puppy farms are only in it for the money.

Furret Mon 17-Aug-20 09:41:03

By ‘dogs’ I mean adult dogs, discarded when they are about 5-6 years old.

Furret Mon 17-Aug-20 09:40:08

I hate breeders. We’ve had dogs from them before. Poor things don’t know how to be dogs.

MayBee70 Thu 13-Aug-20 21:06:59

I love Border Collies but I’m very wary of them. I think they can be quite territorial and need the right owner.

Deedaa Thu 13-Aug-20 18:32:10

Sorry watermeadow but the RSPCA visited my neighbour several times over concerns about the way she was treating her pets. I had to grab one of the inspectors and explain where all the cats had gone (they had all found themselves new homes, including the one that moved in with me) because we didn't want them taken away. The woman was very cross and really couldn't grasp that she was actually supposed to look after her cats and dogs.

Living next to 11 Border Collies would be my idea of heaven, but they are very good at hysterical barking!

MayBee70 Thu 13-Aug-20 18:13:13

Sadly have to agree with that water meadow.

watermeadow Thu 13-Aug-20 15:37:17

What does anyone imagine the RSPCA would do? They are notorious for not responding to any concerns about animals unless there’s a TV film crew watching. Their main aim is getting maximum income, not animal welfare and too many dogs next door has nothing to do with that.

BelindaB Thu 13-Aug-20 14:34:53

Whether a home owner or not, breeding must be registered with the local authority and comes under the auspices of the licensing officer. I had to deal with a difficult situation and he was an absolute godsend. I might add that I am a dog lover and used to be heavily involved with PDWRA (Pug dog welfare and rescue org.) I still have 3 dogs of my own and cannot imagine life without them but they are NOT ALLOWED to bark so much that it would disturb the neighbours. That is common good manners.

CanadianGran Tue 11-Aug-20 01:35:49

I'm quite surprised there are no limits on dog ownership. In most cities/towns in Canada there are bylaws within city limits for up to 3 dogs and 6 cats maximum, unless you apply for a kennel license.

I certainly would not want that many next door, I don't envy you. As others have mentions, contact the council and register a complaint. They will not reveal the source of the complaint, and will look into it.

Hawera1 Mon 10-Aug-20 23:04:48

Contact the council and see what the bylaws are. Where we live in.New Zealand we have restrictions on dogs. We have three but had to.get a kennel licence and neighbours had to.sign the form in agreement. We are officially only allowed two.

Caro57 Mon 10-Aug-20 18:07:38

You have my sympathies - we have 18 dogs; DH is a, fully legit, breeder and we live in isolation but they drive me nuts......despite not being in the house.
My suggestion would be to go down the noise route- good luck

Jayt Mon 10-Aug-20 16:23:32

You have my sympathy. I don't much like dogs and our neighbours on all sides seem to have them. They bark and howl and I just wish I could live in the middle of nowhere. I'm often tempted to get one of those whistles that only dogs hear and see if that would shut them up.

Mauddib Mon 10-Aug-20 16:14:36

Firstly their are laws to breeding and you need a license. Also as we are all aware if the dogs are being bred or not< you can report to RSPCA and other animal charities if you think they are being mistreated, not looked after properly, the state of their accomodation and so on.
www.gov.uk/dog-breeding-licence-england-scotland-wales
You can't apply for this licence online. Contact your local council
Overview
You must have a dog breeding licence if either:

you run a business that breeds and sells dogs
you breed 5 or more litters in a year and sell any of the puppies
Contact your local council to check if you need a licence or for information about costs.

Eligibility
A vet or other inspector will visit and want to see that your dogs:

live in suitable accommodation
receive adequate food, water and bedding
get enough exercise
are transported in safe and comfortable conditions
are protected in case of fire or other emergency
are protected from the spread of disease
Length of licence
Your licence will be valid for 1 year.

You must renew your licence before the expiry date if you wish to continue as a dog breeder.

Contact the Kennel Club for more detailed information on breeding dogs.

anxiousgran Mon 10-Aug-20 15:53:01

Lots of advice here from dog owners themselves and others more knowledgeable than me.
Just thankful neither of our next door neighbours like dogs.

timetogo2016 Mon 10-Aug-20 15:24:33

I advice you go on youtube and look up dog barking repellant.
The mobile gives off a sound that stops them.
I love dogs,had them most of my life but barking dogs drive me crazy.
We have done it because three dogs next door to us are let out before 7am and around midnight,it does work.

Fronkydonky Mon 10-Aug-20 14:55:51

I don’t wish to sound as though I’m playing top trumps of dogs, however the bloke across the Road in my small cul de sac had 14 Dogs at one stage a few years ago, mainly noisy Dobermans. He was out at work all day and they did nothing but bark & howl all day until he got home. His garden is quite small but they had the run of the house too. All of the neighbours used to complain under their breath but none would confront him. He was not a reasonable man tbh. I rang the environmental health department of my city council who were not very helpful and just sent me a form to log the barking and howling each day for a month. I duly completed it and returned it and heard absolutely nothing from them. He has since remarried and a few have passed away but there are still about ten in the house. When someone is home, the dogs are quieter but they go berserk when the postman pushes post through door. I have just learned to live with the noise because nobody in my neighbourhood is willing to challenge the idiot man. There was a neighbour a street away that reported him too but still nothing done because they are not being neglected or malnourished. I do get sick of the noise at times but there is absolutely nothing that anyone can do to force him to re-home some.

Nainijo Mon 10-Aug-20 14:53:55

Flexible friend, I understand what your saying, but I am pretty sure these dogs don’t go out as there is Only one way in, the front, and we are retired so here most of the time, especially during lockdown!!

Nainijo Mon 10-Aug-20 14:49:17

Newquay. I too live next door to a family that have a walk in cage in the back garden, not very big , where they breed cats. ( They sold three kittens during lockdown!!)
They also have a chocolate Labrador and have just recently acquired two rescue huskie type dogs!!! Absolutely bonkers, none of which get taken out.
We have one Cocker spaniel, and my daughters two Cockers are also here, but we take them out everyday for a run.
It is extremely frustrating, as when their dogs or cats make a noise, which they do frequently, ours then start. Ours are normally docile, content, as they get excercise. Not sure what you can do other than move!!!!!

FlexibleFriend Mon 10-Aug-20 14:04:01

There are many assumptions being made here, when I was fit and healthy I owned 7 dogs and apart from my next door neighbour who I was friends with no one knew. They didn't see me walking them because they'd exit via the side access way straight into the back of my car parked on my drive. We'd walk them all together off lead over the woods for at least two hours per day. They didn't bark or smell or annoy the neighbours in any way. They were extremely well trained and behaved very well indeed. I never bred any of my dogs and 3 of them came from other people who were unable to train them. They all slept together in the utility room and were never any bother to anyone. The problem arises when people don't care for their dogs properly and standards start to slip.

Daddima Mon 10-Aug-20 13:45:42

I just think there are a lot of assumptions being made here, like it being an illegal puppy farm, the woman ‘ only being interested in money’, the dogs ‘obviously’ being there for breeding etc. Surely there would have been some evidence of puppies before this?
I’d say that before all the authorities, council, RSPCA are involved ( which surely wouldn’t make for good neighbourly relations), a non confrontational chat to try and sort the problem would be a better idea, and fine to get your son to do it if you can’t face it.

grannie7 Mon 10-Aug-20 12:55:21

It seems as though it’s too late to do anything about it for this visit, but be prepared for the next visit.Go to environmental health and all the others that the grans have suggested.Make a plan once you have all the information and advice.When the friend and dogs next come put your plan into action ie RSPCA,Environmental,etc at once impress upon them that this is a 2 week visit so they must deal with now, not when they get to it.If you have spoken to them before they will be prepared.
Your neighbour is not a good dog owner.I had 7 great danes when I was younger,I did have one litter because I wanted the pups not for profit so I did have 11 dogs 3 in the house the rest in purposed built kennels with raised beds and massive big bean bags, heating in the winter they had heat lamps over their
beds.My mother asked could she move in with them as their rooms were more comfortable than her bungalow lol.
My point to this is the only complaint I got the whole time I had the Danes was from a neighbour who was a lingerie rep
He had all his stock stolen from his car and became they had walked through a passage from a wood no one heard anything including my dogs.My friend/neighbour was furious because my dogs hadn’t barked.
My dogs were well trained and well looked after and weren’t allowed to disturb anyone.And kept extremely clean no smells
for my benefit as well as my neighbours.
These two women need to get a grip and as
they have border collies {which really are not a good pet they are working dogs so will be frustrated with just running
around a garden} They need to train them properly.
Garden you have my sympathy I wouldn’t put up with the 6 barking all the time never mind 11.

BlackSheep46 Mon 10-Aug-20 12:50:41

If the guest has been there for 2 weeks let's hope that's the end of her stay. Have a chat with your neighbour and suggest that 11 dogs are too many - but you know what people are like with their dogs - they're like their babies and they can't be separated from them so don't expect a particularly warm response. Try humour as in suggesting the she might buy you some er plugs next time she opens a dogs' home !!

Theoddbird Mon 10-Aug-20 12:25:59

Well....as you say...she is just visiting. If she was there all the time that would be different Just look forward to when she goes home