Gransnet forums

Chat

Too many dogs

(77 Posts)
Gardendisy Sat 08-Aug-20 16:35:06

I live in a small village next door to a lady that breeds Border Collies and she has altogether 5 dogs.
I love dogs I have two Cairn terriers of my own. The dogs usually do not bother each other and everything is fine. However, a few times a year she has a friend that comes to stay and she has 6 Border Collies. They are not very friendly to say the least and every time anyone goes into the garden me or my dogs her dogs go absolutely mental. Then my two join in and it sounds like Battersea dogs home.
I’m getting really fed up now. My male dog has started scent marking everywhere and my girl dog just keeps yapping . This woman has been here for two weeks. 11 dogs next door ....... what can I do ?

CanadianGran Sat 08-Aug-20 16:56:35

Call you local town hall/council. There are usually rules regarding the number of pets at any one residence.

In our town we have a 3 dog limit, which is sensible. Of course this is only acted upon if someone enters a complaint, then it is checked on by the bylaws officer, who may issue a fine or compliance order.

Alexa Sat 08-Aug-20 17:10:50

Gardendisy, you have my sympathy for what it's worth, I disapprove of dog breeding for profit anyway, especially breeds like Border collies that have special needs.

Gardendisy Sat 08-Aug-20 17:47:46

Thank you ladies I just don’t really want any trouble. But I am at my wits end now.

Newquay Sat 08-Aug-20 17:59:01

Didn’t realise there are limits to how many pets you can have. Our next door neighbour has taken to “rescuing” animals-at least 5 cats and 3 dogs. If it isn’t the yapping it’s the cat poo everywhere-grr! I agree completely about breeding ANY dogs-no need IMHO.

BlueBelle Sat 08-Aug-20 18:03:19

My word the thought of living next door to at times 11 dogs would do my head in
I don’t mind dogs but that amount is not fun One or at most two would be all I would want to live near even if it’s only for a few weeks
You have my sympathies ...as to what you can do I don’t know without causing bad feeling
Just a thought is your neighbour allowed to use her home as a business ?

TrendyNannie6 Sat 08-Aug-20 18:06:45

I wasn’t aware of any limits stating how many pets you can have at anyone time in your house either, I do feel for you though gardendisy I wouldn’t be happy if my dog started scent marking everywhere, I’m not sure you can do anything about a breeder next door, as long as her dogs are bred correctly and she’s not a backyard breeder, and the fact that she has her friend coming to stay bringing all her dogs too, must be a nightmare when they all start barking as dogs do, poor you and your dogs

Iam64 Sat 08-Aug-20 18:21:15

Canadian Gran may not be in the UK, where we do not have limits on how many pets people can have in their houses.

Gardendisy, can't you speak to your neighbour about the best way of stopping all the dogs barking and winding each other up?

BlueBelle Sat 08-Aug-20 19:09:13

I thought there were rules about running a business from a home isn’t there ?

Hetty58 Sat 08-Aug-20 19:16:11

There may be local byelaws or conditions on house deeds that limit business use. I'd be inclined to make sure that the dogs can't see through any fences, perhaps with screening.

sodapop Sat 08-Aug-20 19:20:54

I love dogs but eleven is excessive if there is not enough space or kennels for them. I would think the noise constitutes a nuisance without anything else. I would think there are bylaws about this. You have my sympathy Gardendisy.

Daisymae Sat 08-Aug-20 19:41:31

I would think that the best course of action would be to talk to your neighbour and express your concerns. Make a note and then contact your local council if you don't get a positive response. You have to start somewhere. I have never heard of any laws restricting the number of dogs in a house, but there is an excess next door and it is causing you a nuisance and distress so really your neighbour should take some action.

Gardendisy Sat 08-Aug-20 19:43:45

Thanks everyone, I can tolerate the five that live there my dogs are ok with them . There are no holes in the fence I am glad to say but the barking and growling is terrible sometimes, especially at 6.30 am ? I might try and find out how many dogs are allowed in a property. She does own the house so not sure if there is anything I can do about it.

phoenix Sat 08-Aug-20 19:47:35

As far as I know, the number of animals allowed only applies to social housing, private owners can have as many as they like.

However, in this instance I would consider having a friendly word with your neighbour, surely they must be as annoyed with the barking as you are!

Furret Sat 08-Aug-20 19:52:29

The worst is probably over. Surely she is going home soon. Fingers crossed.

Hetty58 Sat 08-Aug-20 20:06:39

I doubt that any rules would apply to short-term visitors. You could make a complaint of nuisance to Environmental Health (if in the UK) - but it would have to be a sustained or regular event.

You could possibly agree to have different dogs 'outside times' when your neighbour has this guest.

Fennel Sun 09-Aug-20 16:07:44

BlueBelleis right about 'breeding' dogs at home for private sale being illegal. Not sure if this only applies in council property.
We had a talk from local Police about a year ago at our old ladies group (no longer sad ) and I asked them about this because there was a family near us, council estate, who seemed to be doing this.
They said to report it and they would 'keep an eye'. But I chickened out - scared of retribution. Haven't seen any sign of them recently.
And I know a bit about border collies - they should never be cooped up like that and if not allowed to do their instinctive job can be aggressive, nip heels etc as they do with rebellious sheep and cows.

Fennel Sun 09-Aug-20 16:12:16

ps - so @ Gardendisy ask advice from your community Police.
I think there are also local laws about acceptable noise levels but that's harder to prove.

CocoPops Sun 09-Aug-20 16:19:09

If I were you I would pluck up the courage and talk to your neighbour.

Houndi Mon 10-Aug-20 09:38:42

I have one border collie and they need a lot of exercise we walk 2 miles every day and at least ten at the weekend.This is cruel she is only interested in profits from breeding .It seems to me that they are running a puppy farm.Her friend has brought these dogs over to breed.They are just interested in money not the welfare of the dogs.Report her

DotMH1901 Mon 10-Aug-20 09:40:41

If it is only for two weeks out of a year then I doubt anyone (Council/Police etc) would be interested to be honest. Could you have a quiet chat with your neighbour once her visitor has gone and mention the noise? She might be of the opinion that, because you have dogs yourself, you wouldn't mind there being so many next door! People do make assumptions I have found.

Gardendisy Mon 10-Aug-20 09:41:17

CocoPops I did try to speak to her about a year back. I actually told her I was pleased her friend had gone home because my dogs were pretty disturbed. The whole conversation just went over her head.
Furret I do hope you are right it’s been two weeks she must go soon.
They jet washed in their garden yesterday I thought yes she must be leaving but no still here.

Davida1968 Mon 10-Aug-20 09:43:00

I agree with Hetty58. Environmental Health is a good place to contact. In my experience, EH are knowledgeable about local by-laws - and they should act with discretion when it comes to listening to concerned citizens who's neighbours behave in ways which breach those laws.

Lewie Mon 10-Aug-20 09:43:42

I don't think breeding the odd litter constitutes 'a business' - the neighbour is obviously just a hobby breeder. And her breeding activities isn't what the OP is complaining about - it's the noise and aggravation of the visiting dogs.

VRH1 Mon 10-Aug-20 09:45:20

I have the same problem. My neighbours have had dogs removed from them by the RSPCA because they neglect their animals (including cats). Their response is to go out and get more animals. I have one middle aged Basset Hound and she can smell them next door, so barks occasionally. But nothing compared to the racket next door. All you can do is complain to the neighbour. I know you don’t want retribution, but if you warn her that you find it unacceptable and will report them, perhaps she will be more mindful and take them in the house when they do kick off instead of just leaving them to create a noise nuisance. Most people where I live just phone up the council and report dog barking. Then it’s up to them to prove it is a nuisance, by recording the barking and keeping a record. I personally hate anonymous reporting, as a lot of the time it is malicious. It’s best to try and get on with your neighbours, even though they are being unreasonable.