Gransnet forums

Chat

Ah! Petrichor ?

(36 Posts)
phoenix Mon 10-Aug-20 15:58:33

Lovely! Just went out to check the sunflowers after a morning of thunderstorms, and there it was.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Tue 11-Aug-20 09:05:18

Petrichor - if only. It's not too hot here at the moment and I even took a walk round the block at 6.30 this morning which is unheard of. There is a very pleasant breeze which is lovely after the vicious heat.
Rain would be most welcome here in South Notts.

Puzzler61 Tue 11-Aug-20 09:00:32

Nice Sunflower Phoenix.
Reminds me of driving holidays in France when we passed fields full of them.

A neighbour behind us has a Hollyhock swaying about in the breeze and it’s as tall as the first floor bedroom window. An absolute giant!

JenniferEccles Tue 11-Aug-20 08:51:40

Oh no Phoenix
After all that long wonderful summer! Did any of your guests dash out to revel in it?!

It certainly freshened the air I remember.

Chewbacca Tue 11-Aug-20 00:21:48

And it's still not flowered yet so I might get another couple of feet! grin The others are in flower and are about 6 foot but the one right outside the door is a whopper!

Callistemon Mon 10-Aug-20 23:01:34

9'??

I think you win so far, Chewbacca!

I gave mine some Miraclegro this evening, they could be 10' by morning.

Chewbacca Mon 10-Aug-20 22:59:20

I wish it would thunder and rain here; it's stultifyingly hot and humid. Last night was totally different; very warm but with strong winds. I've got a 9' sunflower just about 4' from the patio doors and I had a fear that it would come crashing through. It's now supported by a tripod of 8' canes and is lashed to the fence post. I dread digging it up at the end if summer; God alone knows where it's roots will have ended up.

phoenix Mon 10-Aug-20 22:28:11

Jennifer Eccles the first day of rain in 1976 happened to be my wedding day!

phoenix Mon 10-Aug-20 22:26:13

Grandmafrench thank you for the help with spelling!

Now, as for needing that word, well, probably not, I just felt rather joyous, and sort of "liberated" after days of hot, humid weather.

My understanding of the word, which may be wrong, is that it means something like "lustful desire"??

JenniferEccles Mon 10-Aug-20 22:23:26

I remember when it finally rained late summer 1976 !

We and all of the neighbours where we were living then dashed out and we did a dance to thank the rain gods!!

CanadianGran Mon 10-Aug-20 22:15:50

I had to look it up as well. I'm not sure if the word is as pleasing as the smell, although I'm glad there is a word for the lovely odour.

Unfortunately we would have to actually have some sun to dry the earth in order to experience this. We've had the worse non-summer ever! Constant cloud cover and drizzle since beginning of June. This morning was 12 degrees and cloudy. Grumble, grumble.....

Jaxjacky Mon 10-Aug-20 21:51:24

Phoenix when it chucks it down here, forecast Wednesday, I’m out, buck naked, if the neighbours crane out of their bedroom windows, who cares!! I’m s. Hampshire, it’s baking!!

Grandmafrench Mon 10-Aug-20 21:43:26

Nearly, Phoenix but you don't need the second
'I'. (Do you recall needing that word after dancing in the rain?)

phoenix Mon 10-Aug-20 21:28:17

Kate1949

Not thick at all, after all its not the sort of word in every day use!

Bit like concupiscience.........grin

Although I'm not quite sure I've spelled that right!

Kate1949 Mon 10-Aug-20 19:15:26

Bathsheba I had to look up the word too. I've never heard it.
Yours truly
Thick Brummie grin

phoenix Mon 10-Aug-20 17:51:01

looks can be deceptive, Callistemon some of the leaves have been munched pretty well!

No, didn't send the clouds, don't have those sort of powers!I

timetogo2016 My hair grows like a weed! Trying to decide if to let it carry on, or get it chopped again.

Callistemon Mon 10-Aug-20 17:04:20

Clouding over again, I think you sent this over, phoenix!
☁️☁️☁️
No sign of ⛈

Callistemon Mon 10-Aug-20 17:02:18

It looks more healthy than mine!

timetogo2016 Mon 10-Aug-20 17:01:09

Not growing anything except hair,but love the smell of Petrichor.
Always have and my Dh sadly can`t smell it as he lost his sense of smell years ago.

phoenix Mon 10-Aug-20 16:47:48

"Not" not "bit"!

phoenix Mon 10-Aug-20 16:43:43

Callistemon a bit very good photo of my mutant sunflowe!

phoenix Mon 10-Aug-20 16:42:19

It was, Bathsheba blissfull! As said it was looong ago, I was slender then, wouldn't do it now!

Bathsheba Mon 10-Aug-20 16:36:42

Wow that must have been wonderful Phoenix. I'm not sure my neighbours would approve if I followed suit, and if there were any horses around I'm certain they'd be frightened grin

phoenix Mon 10-Aug-20 16:34:37

For it! Not "fot"!

phoenix Mon 10-Aug-20 16:33:46

Bathsheba I knew there was a word fot, but couldn't remember what it was, had to ask Madam, aka the Amazon Echo on the kitchen table!

Many years ago, when with each and we'd had a long not spell of weather, the most fabulous storm broke, and as we lived in a secluded spot, I was actually able to go out and dance naked in the storm blush it was the most glorious feeling!

Callistemon Mon 10-Aug-20 16:31:27

We only have one headed ones here.