Gransnet forums

Chat

It’s 41 degrees in the shade!

(145 Posts)
Bluebellwould Tue 11-Aug-20 17:28:13

Just that it is so hot here, it’s cruel and if a weather person says it’s great weather I’m going to punch them right on the nose!

MissAdventure Thu 13-Aug-20 18:29:27

It has got increasingly hot here, today.

It's unbearably close and very overcast now.

Rain, please?

BlueSky Wed 12-Aug-20 23:17:43

Finally cooled down after putting my feet in a bowl of cold water, holding a cold water bottle, fan going crazy and a mini thunderstorm. Hope tomorrow won't be as vicious!

alig99 Wed 12-Aug-20 23:11:58

I'm loving the hot weather, of course you need to be careful and have shade. I particularly love the warm evening without direct sun, our garden looses sun around 3pm so normally its too cold to sit in so a waste of space.

Kim19 Wed 12-Aug-20 21:37:01

Sorry. Wrong topic. I blame it on the alcohol!

Kim19 Wed 12-Aug-20 21:34:38

Like...... Ella Fitzgerald singing absolutely anything. Dislike.... apple crunchers. Make me squirm and think of horses every time.

Minerva Wed 12-Aug-20 19:45:59

I was pregnant through 1976 and living in London in a tiny upstairs flat with husband and toddler. A friend who was also pregnant and I took it in turns to push our toddlers to the park each day and towards the end of the afternoon I would carry a bucket of water down to the steps up to the house and my little girl would sit in it to cool down. It was extremely hot but I was in my 30s and coped with it quite well. I had also worked in Southern Europe and travelled for 18 months in Asia in extreme heat and not suffered. Something switches in our bodies in later life, well in mine at least and I am finding this heat very hard to cope with. I don’t moan about it as the majority of the population love it and anyway it can’t last forever but I do wonder if this is going to be our future each Summer.
I don’t like extreme cold either

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-Aug-20 18:02:29

On the South Downs, can’t remember the last time we had any rain. “chance of precipitation” at midnight. That’s a 30% chance which drops to 14% for the rest of the night.

Kim19 Wed 12-Aug-20 17:54:17

Sorry for all you people who are uncomfortable. I'm loving it and hoping it continues. I do my suffering in the cold.

Millie22 Wed 12-Aug-20 17:22:52

Its 34° and I'm sitting in my garden having just got out of a really hot car. Must get the ac fixed as it was unbearable.

BlueSky Wed 12-Aug-20 17:18:25

Glad I'm not the only one to feel that today especially, I don't seem able to cool down. I guess bp medication doesn't help either.

MissAdventure Wed 12-Aug-20 17:16:08

It's 27 here.
Feels like 47!

TerriBull Wed 12-Aug-20 17:14:47

It was horrible sweaty mid 30s or more here in West London this morning, drove down to Surrey to see a friend. On the way back the weather broke, started to rain cats on dogs. Home again to a comfortable mid 20s now, makes such a difference, Do hope it remains cooler, particularly at nights.

Bluebellwould Wed 12-Aug-20 17:13:45

Well the temperature has dropped a bit, 3 heavy claps of thunder a completely grey sky. Hooray here comes the rain I can’t wait. It’s raining err I got ten drops! Where’s the rain?

Musicgirl Wed 12-Aug-20 17:11:48

I find the older l get, the less l can tolerate extreme heat but the biggest problem is the humidity which affects my asthma. I am extremely fair skinned needing factor 50 suncream. Although it is 30+° here l believe it is even worse in other parts of the country. 20°-24° is perfect summer weather for me.

Toadinthehole Wed 12-Aug-20 17:07:50

I find just keeping my hair wet all the time really helps. We’ve actually got a bit of a breeze now in the Southeast. Roll on those storms ??

seacliff Wed 12-Aug-20 16:58:51

North Suffolk coast here (well 3 miles away) and it is SO hot and humid. I like a dry Mediterranean heat, but this wet, humid, horrible heat saps your energy. I don't feel like doing anything. I get a headache if I do go out in it, can feel my blood pressure rising. I am sorry for those who have to go to work in it.

We went down our field a bit earlier and could feel a breeze there, under the trees, but it's dropped now. So I am indoors with curtains shut and fan on, watching a Suitable Boy, and envying them the monsoon. grin

I have been thinking of getting the cats a cool mat. If I do, you can be sure the weather will change.

anxiousgran Wed 12-Aug-20 16:54:17

I like the sunny days, and we have had rain at night in the northwest. There has been severe flooding not far from us with a terrific thunderstorm on Monday night though.

My SiL lives in Surrey and they’ve had no rain since the middle of July, and this is the fourth day the temperature has hit the 30’s. Her beloved garden and allotment are dying around her.

It’s abnormal weather, the climate’s just getting hotter. I hope we can pull back from global warming before it’s too late.

Please forgive me, this point’s probably already been made, but I haven’t read every post.

MissAdventure Wed 12-Aug-20 16:51:57

Was it this hot?
I was a teen, so can't remember it being as bad.

Rosina Wed 12-Aug-20 16:45:56

1976 was absolute hell - and it went on for so long! I remember the local park looking like Weetabix, everywhere was filthy, gardens drooping, a pregnant neighbour cried every day as she felt so hot and ill, and yes, we danced about in the rain when it finally came. How anyone can say they like this...I haven't been able to do anything useful since it all began; I'm surviving, but boiling, and moaning all the time!

chatterbox2 Wed 12-Aug-20 16:42:00

Don't worry ladies the heat won't last I've just ordered two new garden loungers!

GreenGran78 Wed 12-Aug-20 16:39:07

It has been hot and sticky all day, here in the north-west, but the clouds have started to gather. Thunderstorms forecasts for 6.30pm onwards. I hope it clears the air. It’s just too uncomfortable to do anything strenuous, and I can almost feel my weight creeping up as I sit on my b** reading. Mind you, my appetite goes when it’s so hot, so maybe it will balance itself out.

Corkie91 Wed 12-Aug-20 16:37:25

People always complain about the weather. The heat is beautiful a sunny day always cheers me up, We dont get many of them enjoy them while you can, it will some be cold damp and rainy or snowing

Lins1066 Wed 12-Aug-20 15:33:58

I thought that yesterday was hot but it is hotter today, 91 degrees Fahrenheit here on the South Welsh coast and little breeze. So hard to sleep last night even with a fan in the bedroom. The weather forecast has been very inaccurate for this area, so far we have missed any storms.

Sparklefizz Wed 12-Aug-20 15:29:38

BlueSky

Sparkle I might just give your suggestion a try even though I don't like the idea of windows closed. I tried everything else but still find it hot indoors with fans on. Must be exceptionally hot and humid!!

BlueSky I have just taken the temperature on my garden table on the patio and it is 37.5 deg. C. (at 3.15pm) whereas in my livingroom (which gets the sun all day) it is only 24 deg. C. so my system is definitely working. I will be opening my doors and windows after about 6-7pm.

Trisha57 Wed 12-Aug-20 15:28:02

And it's raining!!!! Huge splots of rain - and the tortoise has come out of her kennel to celebrate grin