Gransnet forums

Chat

Noises

(151 Posts)
MissAdventure Tue 11-Aug-20 18:51:29

Yesterday there was a thread about dogs barking, and I thought how much I would hate to live near someone whose dog barks excessively.

I think it could make me ill, seriously.

My mum didn't like the sound of washing billowing on the line when it was really windy.

Are there sounds that you love or hate?

My girl said a happy childhood memory for her was the sound of the grill pan sliding out for my toast, once she was tucked up in bed.

CraftyGranny Thu 13-Aug-20 12:33:41

Sorry Cambia, I spelt your name wrong.

CraftyGranny Thu 13-Aug-20 12:32:59

Camba, yes corks popping is a good sound, hic!

CraftyGranny Thu 13-Aug-20 12:30:01

love to hear babies chucking. Thunder storms, rain. I quite like wind chimes too!

Absolutely hate it when someone blows their nose in a restaurant.

mokryna Thu 13-Aug-20 09:56:52

The dentist’s drill.

Luckygirl Thu 13-Aug-20 08:58:02

Dogs barking; and the bass thump thump thump of loud pop music - I find that deeply annoying. Why do people think I want to share their music? I always feel tempted to play a loud piece of classical music in retaliation.

travelsafar Thu 13-Aug-20 08:50:05

Love the sound of thunder and lighting but only if i am safely indoors.

Cant stand the sound of a baby who is really crying and in distress.

Doodledog Thu 13-Aug-20 07:46:13

I find intermittent noise stressful. The sort that stops and starts, like hedge trimmers, snoring (yes, husband-I mean you!), barking dogs etc. I find myself listening for the noise to start up again when it pauses, which is worse than the sound itself.

Saxon17 Thu 13-Aug-20 07:36:52

The sound of butter being scraped over toast!

AllotmentLil Wed 12-Aug-20 22:21:13

Like - my clock ticking and striking the half hour and hour. Cats purring. Children laughing, especially my DGC. Heavy rain. Owls in the wood behind my house. Wind chimes.
Hate - food chewing noise. Other people’s music outdoors. Dogs constant barking. Children screaming.

hollysteers Wed 12-Aug-20 22:04:15

I too am irritated by that advert with a phone ringing Ilovebeigecardigans I think it’s mine!
I love the sound of a train at night in the distance, cocks crowing in the morning and I miss my now grown up children calling me endlessly “Mummy! Mummy!” That lovely period when they thought you knew everything ❤️ I strangely like the sound of kitchen items like fridges, freezers and dishwashers, it’s almost like someone else in the house.
I rush to switch off the theme tune to the Archers as cannot abide it and now also sadly, have to switch off some beautiful music as it reminds me of my dead husband.

Cambia Wed 12-Aug-20 21:43:15

Cork coming out of a wine bottle does it for me! Sorry to lower the tone!

Shizam Wed 12-Aug-20 19:40:50

Leaf blowers are annoying.
Bird song, waves lapping on shoreline, horses hooves clipping along a track are wonderful.

EllanVannin Wed 12-Aug-20 19:33:02

The sound of distressed animals unnerves me, but not a lot else as I appear to be tolerant of many noises-----I must be the barmy one and I'm not deaf either grin
Noise, within reason, is a sign of life.

For the past hour it's been thundering, rolling along stopping and starting.

maddyone Wed 12-Aug-20 19:14:09

Crunching, slurping, and any kind of noisy eating. I hate it.

Gingster Wed 12-Aug-20 18:54:43

I love it and it soothes me to sleep

Gingster Wed 12-Aug-20 18:53:52

The sound of the sea when I’m in bed

Stella14 Wed 12-Aug-20 18:48:28

I hate ‘machine’ type noise - drills, saws, strimmers loud lorries etc. I love the sounds of birds and cats purring!

MissAdventure Wed 12-Aug-20 18:29:27

I remember being on holiday with an ex, his parents, and his daughter.

I think his dad's teeth didnt fit so well, and they made a rythmical "click click! Nlang, nlang, nlang, click!" noise with every mouthful.

Chewbacca Wed 12-Aug-20 18:16:26

Noisy eaters! especially when they grunt a little bit with each mouthful.

PipandFinn Wed 12-Aug-20 18:11:59

GinJeannie

Noisy eaters! Especially with the mouth open, yuk.

God yes. I hate that....

GinJeannie Wed 12-Aug-20 17:44:03

Noisy eaters! Especially with the mouth open, yuk.

Musicgirl Wed 12-Aug-20 17:34:03

I love the sounds of beautiful music, Mozart in particular, waves on the beach, my clock ticking with the cuckoos on the hour and, sometimes, silence. I dislike the sound of sandpaper and nails being filled, out of tune singing and instruments and the dentist's drill.

PipandFinn Wed 12-Aug-20 17:15:50

Strimmers, lawn mowers and music when I'm trying to enjoy some peace and quiet in my garden. There's always some neighbour who's determined to make a racket when the sun is shining but I love to hear children playing.....

GreenGran78 Wed 12-Aug-20 17:14:26

I’m lucky enough to live in a fairly peaceful neighbourhood. There are occasional irritants. I live near Haydock Park Racecourse, and they host a few pop concerts each year. Usually all I can hear is the bass booming away for several hours. I make a point of being out whenever they are staged.
My neighbours sometimes mind their friends’ Dalmatian, and he wuffs constantly if they leave him at home, but it’s usually not for very long. I’m pretty patient about noises, and being a little deaf helps, as I can remove my hearing-aids.

My favourite sound is the blackbird singing his going-to-bed song from the top of the tree.

Blossom14 I’m surprised that the sound of a tinkling fountain upset someone, unless she has the same problem as many Grans, and it makes her want to ‘tinkle’ too! ?

Chewbacca Wed 12-Aug-20 17:10:56

I've been working from home today. It's sweltering hot and I've got every window open to try and allow some air to blow through. But that dratted car alarm has gone off about 20 times today. And he each he comes out, looks at the van, opens and closes the rear door and goes back in. Why doesn't he get it repaired? It must be annoying him too! angry