Gransnet forums

Chat

Let's blame Boris

(87 Posts)
Newatthis Thu 13-Aug-20 12:18:50

With highs of 33° expected AGAIN today, it's time to ask "could the government have done more?" Downing Street knew about this heatwave weeks ago and have done nothing. Shipments of 400,000 pairs of Speedos and 500,000 bikinis, sun cream and Cornettos have reportedly been sent back as unsafe after media claims the shipment was quarantined a month ago and Boris did nothing.

Karen from Chavington said, "We just don't know if it's safe to go outside and sunbathe because we can't function or think for ourselves. Boris hasn't told us either way and all my obese kids need ice cream and sweets, the Hubby can't get out to rob anyone so we're out of lager and weed, I blame the government entirely"

Meanwhile, anti- heat protesters dressed in thick jumpers chanting "cold lives matter" have marched on London, Big Ben has been removed and a giant Mint Feast put in its place by protesters.

The BBC reported earlier, 'clearly the sun has come out and Downing street have done nothing to prevent it.'

A second heat Wave is expected to hit the UK in 4 weeks time

LadyBella Thu 13-Aug-20 22:02:40

Made me laugh. Brilliant. We need to laugh at ourselves and not take everything so seriously. Good to see someone with a GSOH.

Oopsadaisy3 Thu 13-Aug-20 21:58:20

God what I wouldn’t give for a salted caramel magnum, is that a real thing?

I’m on a diet, asking for a friend.........

Goodbyetoallthat Thu 13-Aug-20 21:15:00

Nah! Need to replace the mint feast with a salted caramel magnum ?

NfkDumpling Thu 13-Aug-20 21:08:08

With highs of 33° expected AGAIN today, it's time to ask "could the government have done more?" Downing Street knew about this heatwave weeks ago and have done nothing. Shipments of 400,000 pairs of Speedos and 500,000 bikinis, sun cream and Cornettos have reportedly been sent back as unsafe after media claims the shipment was quarantined a month ago and Boris did nothing.

A person from Chavington said, "We just don't know if it's safe to go outside and sunbathe because we can't function or think for ourselves. Boris hasn't told us either way and all my kids need ice cream and sweets, the Hubby can't get out so we're out of lager and weed, I blame the government entirely"

Meanwhile, anti- heat protesters dressed in thick jumpers chanting "cold lives matter" have marched on London, Big Ben has been removed and a giant Mint Feast put in its place by protesters.

The BBC reported earlier, 'clearly the sun has come out and Downing street have done nothing to prevent it.'

A second heat Wave is expected to hit the UK in 4 weeks time.

Better?

Jane10 Thu 13-Aug-20 20:54:09

Some Grans on here are called Karen. I'm pretty sure they have a sense of humour though.

Dinahmo Thu 13-Aug-20 20:42:39

It made me laugh. Thank you.

Dinahmo Thu 13-Aug-20 20:40:35

Hubby - middle class? you cannot be serious.

Callistemon Thu 13-Aug-20 20:37:14

trisher

It's not funny and it's badly done. It's unlikely that Karen, who I suppose is meant to be a chav, would use the term "obese" about her kids and does anyone really refer to "weed" anymore? And "Hubby" is so middle class!
I'd recommend watching Vicky Pollard on Little Britain but they have taken that off the air.

Yeah but no but trisher

Vicky Pollard is Bristolist.

Doodledog Thu 13-Aug-20 20:32:34

Elegran

Not all people like"Karen" are working-class or middle-aged, a lot of them are young and would consider themselves a bit above working-class (and a lot of humour- and a lot of stuff posted on Gransnet - is badly written)

No, of course they aren't, which is why people aren't finding it funny.

Are you familiar with the 'Karen' trope? A 'Karen' is not working class - she is middle aged with an asymmetrical haircut, and is always complaining and asking to speak to the manager. Basically, she is not doing what women of a certain age 'should do' - ie blend into the background.

It is the term 'chav' that refers to the working/underclass, and is also unfunny, as it is has entirely negative connotations.

Starblaze Thu 13-Aug-20 20:22:13

HAZBEEN

Look its fine not to find it funny, just the same as those of us who were amused but there is no excuse for some of the insults (from both sides). Lets just agree to disagree. This is getting as bad as some of the political threads.
Newatthis the best thing to do is carry on with what you want to post, ignore the nasty pasties and enjoy the good points of Gransnet!

This is irony and is funny

HAZBEEN Thu 13-Aug-20 20:17:00

Look its fine not to find it funny, just the same as those of us who were amused but there is no excuse for some of the insults (from both sides). Lets just agree to disagree. This is getting as bad as some of the political threads.
Newatthis the best thing to do is carry on with what you want to post, ignore the nasty pasties and enjoy the good points of Gransnet!

Elegran Thu 13-Aug-20 20:06:15

Not all people like"Karen" are working-class or middle-aged, a lot of them are young and would consider themselves a bit above working-class (and a lot of humour- and a lot of stuff posted on Gransnet - is badly written)

Goodbyetoallthat Thu 13-Aug-20 19:54:17

Not sure in what way this is "biting" more like puerile to me but as has been said each to their own.

Jane10 Thu 13-Aug-20 19:50:12

Satire is meant to be biting!

Starblaze Thu 13-Aug-20 19:33:14

This isn't satire, it is bitter, angry and attacking.

Good jokes are for laughing with people to bring us together, even if that means laughing at ourselves.

Bad jokes are the ones that leave people a bit.... Ok bye

Goodbyetoallthat Thu 13-Aug-20 19:31:02

The very mention of "hubby & Karen" has me rolling in the aisles Not!
However each to their own.
This has been doing the rounds on social media for a while now so is getting a bit old.

Doodledog Thu 13-Aug-20 19:28:10

Why is it that when some people find something funny and others don't, those who don't are accused of having no sense of humour, and told to 'get a life' (whatever that means)?

It's fine to find something funny, and it's just as fine not to. A cut and pasted, badly written 'satire' that lampoons the working class and middle aged women doesn't make me laugh, but that doesn't mean that I am humourless - or dead, for that matter. It's a matter of personal taste, so I don't see the need for personal digs.

Mapleleaf Thu 13-Aug-20 19:28:03

Well, it brought a smile to my face, anyway, so thank you, Newatthis
The thing with humour is that it is as varied as the reader/listener. What one person finds amusing, another doesn't necessarily. Where one sees insult, another doesn't. That's humanity for you.
Indeed, some people are easily amused, Evoha16. Conversely, some are easily insulted.

Evoha16 Thu 13-Aug-20 19:08:25

Obviously not Lucca ? - I agree with you - how odd it is though that the OP thinks she’s ‘scattered a little happiness’ some people are easily amused ?

Curlywhirly Thu 13-Aug-20 19:01:00

Well, I thought it was just a bit of fun, certainly not worth getting upset about.

Lucca Thu 13-Aug-20 18:46:26

“ So you don't find it funny? OK, don't laugh - no-one is holding a gun to your head and threatening to shoot you. ”

Am I not allowed to say I didn’t find it funny ?

NfkDumpling Thu 13-Aug-20 18:39:58

I found it really funny and a bit of light relief. I nearly didn't look at it as I thought it was going to be another Bash Boris rant. And it is - except its the Bash Boris brigade who're being mocked! Wonderful!

TheFrugalPiggy Thu 13-Aug-20 17:55:27

Well said Elegran. I am feeling genuinely sorry for OP. I do hope she won't be put off.

Newatthis Thu 13-Aug-20 17:32:28

p.s. I didn't write it - just copied and pasted it, it was sent to me on What's App. - so no apologies for it being badly written as far the use of English is concerned. Thank you to everyone who shares my sense of humour, I am pleased I have scattered a little happiness.

JenniferEccles Thu 13-Aug-20 17:02:32

Thankfully those of us who have entered into the spirit of this humorous lightheartedness, vastly outnumber, well, the others!