Gransnet forums

Chat

A polite, but heartfelt request.?

(132 Posts)
phoenix Fri 14-Aug-20 22:31:30

Please, please, PLEASE can people refrain from copying and pasting EVERY previous response to their posts before adding a reply!

All members can read the responses, and probably don't want or need to read them twice.

This is not meant to cause offence, just a request to make threads easier to read and more concise.

Thank you.

Baggs Sun 16-Aug-20 07:48:23

She’s asleep right now, Lucca.

I think any potential passive aggression could have been avoided by directing the request for a more versatile quoting facility at HQ rather than at posters.

BlueBelle Sun 16-Aug-20 07:55:19

Blimey ask a friend now
My friend says is acceptable, passive/ aggressive my ....ehhhh .l.lfoot
It’s a shame the quote feature has to be so big with boxes round it and line spacers above and below and if you get someone who uses it almost every post in some threads it takes up a lot of room, used in moderation it’s probably ok but I still think it’s too spacey
An opinion only

Lucca Sun 16-Aug-20 07:55:56

Baggs sorry to be picky but OP wasn’t after a more versatile quote facilty really. As I read it she was saying you don’t have to quote every single post, especially if you’re just thanking them or something. For example you could just write “oh mind your own business Lucca” !!

Lucca Sun 16-Aug-20 07:58:04

Bluebelle. Not serious.

Goodbyetoallthat Sun 16-Aug-20 08:01:58

I must be missing something but surely if you don't like a posters posts/ style why bother reading them & then complaining?

Baggs Sun 16-Aug-20 08:06:20

I think the complaints are all perfectly valid. It was the tone of the “polite request” that I was uneasy about.

Goodbyetoallthat Sun 16-Aug-20 08:12:52

I am fairly new to gransnet so may well be missing something. Is there an " ettiquette" with regard to posting?
Why are the complaints valid?

Lucca Sun 16-Aug-20 08:19:14

PM sent to you Goodbyetoallthat.

Urmstongran Sun 16-Aug-20 08:19:59

rosecarmel

It can't be overused- ?

Too many people have assumed that posts that appeared after theirs was directed at them but wasn't!

Had to try it! Not to annoy - just never noticed the ‘quote’ button before. Is it a new feature or am I just being my usual unobservant self?

I agree phoenix it’s bluddy irritating having every post by every person regurgitated ad nauseum!

The best thing will be to avoid the thread when it becomes an irritating distraction to me, which is a shame but there you go. Choices. On both sides.

Spangler Sun 16-Aug-20 08:23:13

The use of the quote button repeats everything that was posted, but if I want to comment on a small part of that post I will cut and paste it in italics, so that the poster, and others, know exactly what it is I am commenting on.

Would it still be so annoying if I repeated the paragraph and prefixed it with something like: "In your post you say........." Without repeating the point that you want to comment on how can you avoid ambiguity?

pollyperkins Sun 16-Aug-20 08:24:13

I didn't know there was a quote button! You live and learn. But whats wrong with just putting the person’s name when you reply.?

BlueBelle Sun 16-Aug-20 08:25:09

urmstongrsn I think it’s fairly new I only noticed it a few weeks ago
It’s ok in small doses but when used fot post after post it’s irritating as it takes up a lot of space

Urmstongran Sun 16-Aug-20 08:30:54

Thanks Bluebelle ?

Aldom you constantly seem to be FH’s wingman. Irritating in its own way.

seacliff Sun 16-Aug-20 08:33:21

Now we have opinions from random friends too !!! I agree sometimes it is good to refer to a previous post. I like to do it this way It’s ok in small doses but when used for post after post it’s irritating as it takes up a lot of space. Much easier to read (in MY opinion).

We are never going to agree, c'est la vie.

Baggs Sun 16-Aug-20 08:40:39

I have always discussed topics thrown up by Gransnet threads (topics from elsewhere too) with family and friends. Isn't this just called having conversations?

It's not as if GN were a secret society.

Baggs Sun 16-Aug-20 08:42:00

Exactly, we are never going to agree. Why would anyone think otherwise? It's the discussion that's important, not the result. Do such things ever have a 'result' anyway, except perhaps to inch ideas along?

Baggs Sun 16-Aug-20 08:44:49

In my case, it's the idea of passive aggression that has been inched along. I've never really understood what was meant by the term. I think I have a better idea now. Good result you might say.

Charleygirl5 Sun 16-Aug-20 08:56:01

I think phoenix's request was perfectly reasonable. I also have learnt something- I never knew there was a quote button. I agree I do have choices so when I see a thread 5 pages long when it could easily be two, I skip it. My choice.

BlueSky Sun 16-Aug-20 09:17:10

And I learnt something new too, that you can quote a part of the post only, thanks to Grandad! grin

SueDonim Sun 16-Aug-20 13:41:37

I’m not seeing the quotes you’re all mentioning, except that I know they’re there, because I’ve seen them in an earlier post, but I often can’t differentiate between the quote and the new comment.

I guess it’s to do with my settings, maybe?

Peardrop50 Sun 16-Aug-20 14:11:28

I do find the quote facility both useful and irritating.

Useful because it saves me trawling back when someone comments on another's post such as I agree with ABC when I haven't a clue what ABC said.
Useful because I can hit quote instead of copy, paste, brackets and all that.
Useful because a poster cannot be misquoted.

Irritating because the big blue boxes take up lots of space.
Irritating because when quoting a recent response to the previous quotes and responses, we get the whole sorry saga.

I think a quote facility is useful when used responsibly but can be over used 'quoteabuse' good word but can't remember who said it without trawling back.

Please, please, please don't anybody quote me.

lemongrove Sun 16-Aug-20 14:30:24

I had to really hold myself back there Peardrop ?my finger was hovering over the quote message, but I managed to control it.
‘Twas me that said quote abuse btw.?

lemongrove Sun 16-Aug-20 14:38:33

What do we all think the punishment should be for that heinous crime?
I think the perp should be made to sit on some sharp exclamation marks, have their mouth stuffed with hyperboles
And slapped with a happy emoji until they promise to stop quoting ad nauseam.

Peardrop50 Sun 16-Aug-20 14:53:27

Perhaps colonic irrigation Lemon.

BlueBelle Sun 16-Aug-20 15:04:22

Big BLUE boxes mine aren’t BLUE I ve got big grey boxes ???