Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(73 Posts)
12Michael Fri 21-Aug-20 06:12:33

Good Morning Everyone,
Its cloudy and grey but very windy , looks like Storm Ellen is closing in.
Today , usual early shop ,and then I have a visit from my chiropodist.
Then it will be a quite day in the forecast for the weather is right today.
Take Care
Mick

Urmstongran Fri 21-Aug-20 20:00:05

Is it Blackpool Charleygirl5 that you went to visit? I bet you’ve some tales to tell.
?

mumofmadboys Fri 21-Aug-20 19:44:32

Happy birthday Oops! Bit belated but hope you are having a happy day!

CherryCezzy Fri 21-Aug-20 17:01:06

A bit late in the day but welcome ? Karalou.

Taichinan Fri 21-Aug-20 16:53:47

Best wishes for your son's speedy recovery GrandMattie. It doesn't matter how old they become, they are always our babies, aren't they ?

Taichinan Fri 21-Aug-20 16:30:44

Happy Birthday Oopsadaisy - enjoy the cake and curry!

Marydoll Fri 21-Aug-20 13:33:06

Charleygirl I'm so excited!

Taichinan Fri 21-Aug-20 13:18:59

Good afternoon all from a grey, blue, sunny, rainy. windy Angus coast. A little bit of everything here! No time to read all the posts, which I shall enjoy reading later, because this has been tai chi on the lawn day. It transformed into coffee in the garden room day, but the sun popped out and we dashed out to do a set on the hard standing behind the garage. As we finished, the rain started again, so we were very lucky. Yesterday was a lovely afternoon too with the art group - but that's my excitement for the week. My excitement comes like buses - but at least it does come and I'm very grateful. All of a sudden it is feeling as if autumn is here and the Rowan trees are covered in berries. Have a good, happy and contented day everyone. Love and hugs ???

Karalou51 Fri 21-Aug-20 13:06:41

Good morning everyone! My 2nd day here and really feeling the benefit of so much positivity!
Heck what a stormy night on Wales' south coast! I opened my curtains to our communal garden strewn with garden furniture - (only one table broken though) - our paddling pool half way up a tree etc! We may mostly be 60 - 80 + but that paddling pool was a great investment in the heatwave! Once we'd found a way to hoick our legs up far enough to get our feet in the water!
It's my youngest son's 10th wedding anniversary today but no major celebrations of course. Just thankful they're all happy and healthy!
Wishing you all a very happy day, whatever you're doing. Just take care if you have to go out....

Charleygirl5 Fri 21-Aug-20 12:50:31

Never mind getting distracted Marydoll go back to bed for a few zzzs because a few of us are going clubbing later at a famous seaside town. I promise you will learn something.

Marydoll Fri 21-Aug-20 12:34:54

I was about to say that too Cherry and got distracted!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 21-Aug-20 12:34:04

A very late good morning (afternoon) Mick and all

I have been to the gym, two classes and then I put on my big girl pants and went to Aldi........first time since beginning of March. I just wanted to see what the arrangements were like, I felt safe and got the things I needed (I have a Waitrose delivery tomorrow morning as well)

Happy Birthday Oopsadaisy4 sounds like my perfect day curry and cake ???

Grandmattie I do hope your son is on the mend soon, no matter what their age they remain our babies

Think I might have a lazy afternoon.

Take care and keep safe folks ?

CherryCezzy Fri 21-Aug-20 12:30:17

jansty try starting a thread to ask this question rather than this morning chat thread. You could start one on ask a gran or house and home or chat as you are much more likely to get responses to help you. There are some very knowledgeable posters, someone is sure to come up with an answer.

EllanVannin Fri 21-Aug-20 12:26:27

I bleach my dishcloths, Jansty. I did used to have an old pan which I used to use for tea-towels and dishcloths to boil in but the bottom was wearing thin.

Jansty Fri 21-Aug-20 12:15:06

Can anyone help me with getting whites white again and the residual dirt out of dishcloths, etc. I know washing soda does the trick but I don't really know what amount to use. I've tried this and I know you need to be careful how much
to use.

Lilactime75 Fri 21-Aug-20 12:09:04

You are all earlybirds on this chain! My first message was from a friend recommending an art for adults book at 7.15, then more friends recommending podcasts, then a book recommendation. All before I was out of bed! I’ve now been up and out to work, back to a coffee with husband. Not as windy as forecast here in north Leeds. It must have passed us by. Going to daughter’s house to dogsit for a week. Gorgeous German shepherd and a daily dog walker - can’t walk her as she’s very bouncy and I’m worried about being pulled over. Enjoy your days everyone. Stay safe.

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 21-Aug-20 11:25:30

Good Morning all, from not very pleasant Harrogate.
Well yesterday I went on my first walk since the operation on my foot. Not just walking I picked brambles on the way so tomorrow we will have bramble & apple crumble. This afternoon I shall be joined by small GD, who knows what devastation she will cause!!!
Hope you are all feeling well

Kalu Fri 21-Aug-20 11:17:36

Good morning all from a very wet Glasgow where it’s coming down in sheets at the moment. The window cleaner was here yesterday and I had at least 30 mins. to admire our sparkling clean windows before the rain arrived!

My ceanothus plant arrived yesterday. It’s a totty wee thing which is sheltering in the greenhouse until this very wet weather passes. It’s roughly 8 in. but could end up 2ft. high if I wait for a calm sunny day. ?

Sorry to hear your son is unwell GrandMattie. ?
A very Happy Birthday to you Oopsadaisy ?. Enjoy your special day
Congratulations to those GC who have worked so hard to gain there well deserved results. Our DG has prelims soon and I do feel for her and all children who have more than exams worrying them at present.
Pleased to hear Mr.G had a good night Grammaretto. Sleep is a good healer.

I have had such a lazy Morning which under normal circumstances I would be feeling quite guilty. Now I just shrug my shoulders and think, Carpe Diem doing whatever suits my mood. ?

Have a good day all and best wishes for a better day to those with worries.

CherryCezzy Fri 21-Aug-20 11:03:53

Good morning everyone. It's stopped raining in the Gower but our tree in the back garden has taken great offence and is frantically gesticulating.

Had the run around with a myriad of circumlocution personnel yesterday. The young woman I'm trying to help is worse off with me trying to help I think, simply because I am trying to, ie. someone is endeavouring to do something they abdicate responsibility. Grrh ... I am not a service, they are services. She needs the services. I did, eventually, manage to get someone to listen and someone was sent out to her late afternoon. I don't know yet whether anything is being put in place.

During the course of events I did make it absolutely clear yesterday that the young woman is nothing to do with me, I am not her guardian or even a relative or close friend - just a concerned member of the public! I even proved to them that I have been shielding and that at least one agency had a "duty of care" to me. I used every trick I could, including that old teacher trick Marydoll knows so well. That's when someone listened.

Congratulations to all the grandchildren who have had their hard earned rewards in their GCSEs ?

? Happy Birthday to you Oopsadaisy ???, enjoy your ruby and cake ?

Sorry to hear about your son's kidney problem grandMattie. Kidney issues can be very painful, I know. The hospital will sort him out, ? for you.

Good news that your DH is feeling a bit better Grammaretto ?

Thinking of all the absent goodmorningers ?

Take care everyone, be kind to yourselves ❤️

lucyanne Fri 21-Aug-20 11:02:44

Nice to see NannyJan53 posing from Cumbria thought I was the only one on the site from Cumbria. She is right it is a very wet and windy a dismal day. Good luck with the bike ride.
So good to hear exam results were successful yesterday hopefully taking some of the pressure off our youngsters.

So much paper work and phone calls to do today jobs I hate.
Would much rather relax, paint and create.

Happy birthday Oopsadaisy nice to hear you made a celebration cake. Enjoy.

ann678tifney Fri 21-Aug-20 10:50:33

Morning everyone from a very windy north east. Hope the weather improves, its my DGGS 3rd Birthday today, and its 3 years since my daughter brought him home from hospital to foster him, a poorly baby with drug withdrawel. She has since adopted him and he is a lovely little boy who is very much a part of the family. We are going out at teatime with them to celebrate and he is having a picnic in a local park tomorrow with his friends and family, so hoping the weather stays ok for it. DH isn't well at all his leg ulcers have broken out really badly in the last few weeks, so he has to get them dressed twice a week at drs. We are hoping they start healing soon. Hope everyone keeps well.

grandMattie Fri 21-Aug-20 10:44:11

Thank you all. It is very very kind and encouraging ; naturally I’m moved to tears (DC say I’m a fountain!)

Grandmabatty Fri 21-Aug-20 10:40:46

grandmattie I hope your son gets better soon. ? To you.

Oopsadaisy4 Fri 21-Aug-20 10:38:04

Thank you all so much for your very kind birthday wishes, I have made extra cake ( thankyou Mary Berry for the Chocolate Fudge Cake recipe) please form an orderly line , elbows in and socially distanced please.

at the end of the table there is fizzy pop or bubbly whichever you prefer to have and there is dancing in the pergola in the garden, it’s windy so that should be fun to watch!

Grandmattie good wishes to your DS our DD2 is plagued by illness , bless her (cancer at a young age) but she never complains and is so cheerful, so I know how you must be feeling.

Come on now plenty of cake with cake forks of course.........

EllanVannin Fri 21-Aug-20 10:13:59

I know the feeling with your son grandMattie. I have a D the same where bad luck follows her, yet her sister in Oz is so lucky. We always say that if she fell down the lavvy she'd come up with a rope of pearls.

Grandmafrench Fri 21-Aug-20 10:12:02

Oh GrandMattie what a worry. Do hope that, however unwell, he may just have been a bit slow to register how unwell....you know, as chaps often do.....and that now he’ll finally get the treatment he needs for a full recovery. It must be so worrying especially when circumstances mean that you’re dealing with it very much at arm’s length. Wishing so hard that he’s going to feel better very soon. Meanwhile....deep breaths!

Brilliant update for you (and from you) Ellan. When you think what landed on you and your poor family only months ago. I can see that your DD may feel sometimes that she’s running about like a headless chicken with all those plates she’s spinning, but she’s got support now and that’s what counts. Nobody struggling alone! I’m so pleased for you.......but sad about the ironing ?. Take care of yourself. x