Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Evening Friesday

(12 Posts)
Callistemon Sat 22-Aug-20 16:24:06

That sounds very civilised, Rufus.

Rufus2 Sat 22-Aug-20 15:18:14

Were you £10 Poms, Rufus?
Callistemon Quite the opposite! wink I was working for an Aussie company in London and invited to move permanently to Melbourne, all expenses paid!
Vera jumped at the chance which made my decision much easier. A shipping container was also paid for so we packed everything but the kitchen sink. Even a teak garden bench seat which is still in good shape out in the back garden and on which I sit (weather permitting!) and gaze in pensive mood! hmm
When it was all packed we couldn't help thinking of that song "off went the van with my home packed in it"; but we had no time to "dilly or dally"!
Anyway, as you can sense, I could reminisce all night, but it's now Sunday, so the short answer to your question is "No!" grin

Good Night and Good Health.
OoRoo

Jane10 Sat 22-Aug-20 14:38:44

I've always been interested in Echidnas. Apparently they only have one all purpose orifice called a cloaca. Can this be true?

Callistemon Sat 22-Aug-20 14:23:19

They look so sweet, but have got venomous glands; I don't think they'd harm a human.

Tasmanian Devils, on the other hand, look and sound vicious but I don't think they'd hurt you unless threatened.

Grandmabatty Sat 22-Aug-20 14:18:13

Callistemon the closest I would get to a duck billed platypus is the Internet. I do think that they look friendly though. Probably wrong as they might be vicious little sods! ☺

Callistemon Sat 22-Aug-20 11:49:02

We've lived in Melbourne for nigh on 50 years come next Feb.

Were you £10 Poms, Rufus?
You may have told us that before but I missed it or forgot.

Callistemon Sat 22-Aug-20 11:47:32

I love the duck billed platypus. They look really cute.

If you manage to see one; they are very elusive.
We have seen them a couple of times but never managed to get a photograph.

Rufus2 Sat 22-Aug-20 11:01:50

I am guessing you are in the land of the long white cloud
esspee Wrong!; guess again! Please keep up! hmm
You're thinking of that Lass from Bradford!

We've lived in Melbourne for nigh on 50 years come next Feb. Not quite as significant as Cook's arrival, but it is to us!

At the moment I'm in the land of a long "bl**dy" black cloud; it's rained all day; at least NSW has had blizzards of pretty white snow. Half their luck! grin

Your turn; Where do you hail from?
Good Health
OoRoo

Grandmabatty Fri 21-Aug-20 20:33:58

Hi Rufus2 I'm glad the numbers are dropping in Melbourne. Setting up accounts can be a real nuisance, can't they? I set up a magazine subscription for my mum and only realised after that I had totally messed up the delivery address. It took ages to sort. A platypus and a moudiewart are fairly similar except platypus is more water based. I love the duck billed platypus. They look really cute. I have had a very lazy day today as my neck is still painful. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. espee this thread has been running for a while and regulars know where Rufus2 is based. You probably didn't mean it, but your comment sounded quite snippy. The difficulty of social media and tone! Rufus2 I hope your weather improves soon. I hope ours does too! ☺

Esspee Fri 21-Aug-20 18:59:17

I am guessing you are in the land of the long white cloud.

More people would be interested if you stated your location.

Megs36 Fri 21-Aug-20 18:54:25

Glad numbers are going down ‘Rufus2*. Still problems in Oldham, Birmingham and Manchester and more, and lots on the government watch list whatever that is. My extended family all travelling this way from far and wide on Sunday Really worried they will get lockdown at the-last-minute,Lots of ,14 day isolation rules imposed on any people returning from various holiday destinations abroad.
.What is it with politicians. There has been lots of upsets here with the examination results fiasco, and today we hear Boris is on a camping holiday . We all want a Jacinda it seems.
Lotsof high winds and rain round parts of the UK but still warm and sunny in my part of Hertfordshire.

Keep safe
???????
Cheers

Rufus2 Fri 21-Aug-20 15:14:47

Better Covid news, thankfully. “Only” 4 deaths and new cases down below 200 yesterday; first time for ages. Hopefully let’s hope the trend continues downwards, because of our curfew and stage 4, but I don’t think people are going to rush out into the streets and burn their face masks just yet. Covid 19 is cunning and no knowing what yet might be in store for us.
We have a Royal Commission investigating when and how our 2nd outbreak occurred, apparently due to a botched 14 day quarantine hotel programme. It made me squirm watching on TV a top Govt. minister for Aged Care, being cross-examined by Commission senators and unable to remember any important figures.
Can’t see him holding his job for long, despite the Premier publicly defending him.
Premier Dan has been under the hammer for ages and I can’t see him wearing another problem, especially one not of his making. But it’s hard to feel sorry for politicians of whatever stripes considering the perks they get regardless!

Weather forecast has made up my mind; wet and freezing cold for at least the next 7 days. “Oh to be in England now that Autumn is there”!
Or are you calling it “Fall” these days after all the USofA election propaganda?

Jane nothing to be sorry about! I’m never jealous and hope you get more “Ellens” during your visit to Balmoral
Just because you couldn’t resist temptation.
It can happen all the time., especially as it now appears to be IFW (International Forgiveness Week)
Latest “Oldie” is still in transit somewhere, but despite your news of a price increase, like Basil Fawlty, “for once I’m in front”; I think!
I always take out an annual subscription which was £70 for 12 issues. Not bad, considering where we are. 24 issues would be cheaper, but I’m not pushing my luck! hmm

Another TV rail programme this evening currently being recorded; it does it automatically and I don’t know where we’ll be off to, but who cares? They are all worth a look especially during lockdown.
Watching the very few people walking past the front wearing masks, I couldn’t help thinking of the possibility of us all mutating to the platypus profile especially if lockdown lasts much longer. Unlike you, they have to be worn all the time outdoors!

Grandmabatty There you go! “Platypus”. An easy one; your starter for ten! [smile
Haven’t had time for your latest. Yesterday, I was going round in circles trying to purchase something via Amazon’ After repeatedly being asked to solve puzzles (and failing), to prove I’m not a robot, I began to feel like one so I gave up and staggered off to bed like a good robot.
Same performance again this morning, but then I managed to contact a non-robot on the phone (overseas I think) and after a series of “What was that? we managed to set up my account, which I haven’t accessed yet, feeling that I’ve done enough for one day! Even robots are allowed to have feelings, so I’m told!
And all for a $10 cordless phone battery. I must have blown all of Amazon’s profit even before buying one!
Well, that’s another Friesday without Chish and Fips! Woe is me!
Good Health wine wine wine
OoRoo