Gransnet forums

Chat

Adult Swimming

(10 Posts)
tinaf1 Mon 24-Aug-20 16:50:58

Has anyone leant to swim , later in life?

I had lessons when at school but just as I was getting the hang of it they stopped!
I’m not very confident but if anyone has learnt as an adult , was it difficult , did you have one to one lessons or did you learn in a group?

Dinahmo Mon 24-Aug-20 21:18:58

I have. When I was in my forties I joined a swimming class at the local pool. The second week the teacher changed and, as the new one was noticeably pregnant she didn't come into the pool. She told us that we would float and that she would get us out if necessary.

We went in at the deep end, holding on like grim death and she asked us to try to touch the bottom with our feet, whilst still holding on to the rail. It was surprisingly difficult. Over the next few weeks she taught us how to float and that was the important thing. When you can float you can start to move about and, if you get tired you should be able to relax until you get your breath back.

I'm not a strong swimmer and the cold water, even in a heated pool. makes my wrists hurt. However, I enjoyed being able to relax and float and look up at the sky, for as long as I wanted to.

I heard a couple of years ago an instructor talking about the deaths that had occurred in flooded open cast mines. He said that people jumping into deep water got cold and so they started to thrash about which caused problems and caused some deaths. He said that they should relax until they got used to the temperature and then they could swim to safety

GrandmaMoira Mon 24-Aug-20 21:23:14

When I was going to the over 60s swimming sessions, there was a lady having one-to-one lessons. The instructor was very patient. He was in the water with her at the shallow end. Personally I would struggle with lessons starting at the deep end.
I'm a poor swimmer and could barely swim at all when I started going after many years of not going but improved with practice. I'm waiting for the pool to re-open now.

Grannybags Mon 24-Aug-20 21:25:33

My Mum learnt to swim when she was about 58. She went to group lessons and really enjoyed it

phoenix Mon 24-Aug-20 21:31:37

It may sound odd, but although I can swim, I have never mastered the art of floating!

BTW, I hate swimming, even though it's supposed to be a good form of exercise for the "older" person!

midgey Tue 25-Aug-20 00:31:45

The RNLI advise that if you are out of your depth and unable to get back you should float.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-53687115

Esspee Tue 25-Aug-20 08:04:37

I can float for hours. Once you master that you know that you can’t sink so can then concentrate on learning to propel yourself.

NfkDumpling Tue 25-Aug-20 08:09:05

I'm a floater. Can't swim underwater as my posterior is too buoyant. DH on the other hand is a sinker. He floats for a few seconds before his sinking feet pull him down and he slowly vanishes under the water, feet first. The RNLI advice just won't work for him.

Dinahmo Tue 25-Aug-20 20:44:55

I couldn't float until I gained confidence from the teacher. I haven't been swimming for years but i think u could still float.

mary51 Tue 25-Aug-20 21:10:55

I went to learn to swim in my 30s when my children got their first swimming badges! It was an 8 week course in an Olympic size pool , even had a certificate at the end!

I used to go swimming a lot and would like to take it up again, when things get back to normal. There was a time when I could do 40 lengths of a 25 metre pool but I don't think I could now!