Gransnet forums

Chat

Uncalled for comments

(217 Posts)
Sarahmob Tue 25-Aug-20 09:51:27

I’ve been a member (although quite a quiet one) for some time now and usually enjoy following the various discussions, chipping in if I feel I’ve got some valid point to add. Today I’ve read a couple of threads and been a bit disappointed by some of the sharp and sometimes downright catty comments that people have made. Surely a little thought doesn’t hurt and if we can be anything, let’s be kind.

Lucca Fri 28-Aug-20 10:14:48

Oldwoman70. Totally agree. There’s at least one type of thread which seems to be exclusive to those who”agree”.

Doodledog Fri 28-Aug-20 10:14:33

Yes, I don’t know how you can decide that you ‘don’t like’ something unless you have read it.

Oldwoman70 Fri 28-Aug-20 09:59:38

Whenever a thread like this is started someone denies it happens and asks for "examples" but haven't we all read a comment, thought it was unnecessarily rude and then moved on without even registering the name of the person who posted it? The fact is, for me in any event, those people are totally unimportant in my life so their comments are irrelevant, although I do feel for those the comments are directed at.

One comment which does appear often is "if you don't like it don't read it", which basically is an attempt to shut down debate

Alexa Fri 28-Aug-20 09:54:45

Calling someone a rude 'name' or describing them with a rude adjective is harmless. But generalising about somebody's character is not harmless, and should be disallowed by the Moderator.

GrannyLaine Fri 28-Aug-20 09:24:26

Do yourself a favour, let those that insult have their moment, but leave them to it

I think there are many of us who do precisely that. The bullies always rule in the playground and there are times when GN feels just like that.

pollyperkins Fri 28-Aug-20 09:04:53

Sensible suggestion Spangler.

Spangler Fri 28-Aug-20 09:02:47

Feeling the sting of a hurtful response, more often than not, invokes a retort. Far better to turn the computer off, put the kettle on and just leave it be.

Politics, religion and relationships are subjects that always have that: "Light blue touch paper, stand well clear," definition about them. Do yourself a favour, let those that insult have their moment, but leave them to it. You can't start a fight in an empty room.

pollyperkins Fri 28-Aug-20 06:52:54

Agree. But its got worse since the brexit controversy. Both sides resorted to name calling.

icanhandthemback Thu 27-Aug-20 13:00:31

Lucca

I’m still wondering why it’s ok to refer to posters as loony lefties?

I think it is something that appeared to acceptable in the past along with other insensitive behaviours but shouldn't be in today's more enlightened age. It may be that you think some left wing ideologies are unworkable but calling anybody a "loony" is totally unacceptable.

Lucca Thu 27-Aug-20 12:12:54

I’m still wondering why it’s ok to refer to posters as loony lefties?

Furret Thu 27-Aug-20 11:39:52

Please read my post again EV I mistyped DEPLORED.

But this is just how nasty and inaccurate rumours start isn’t it?

EllanVannin Thu 27-Aug-20 11:33:26

Quite the reverse, Furret,it's YOU who usually reports ME !

I've never pressed the report button, but eyes are wide open now.

Furret Thu 27-Aug-20 11:25:49

You have reported me again EV? What fot?

EllanVannin Thu 27-Aug-20 11:17:06

------and reported !

Furret Thu 27-Aug-20 11:06:56

Deplored

Furret Thu 27-Aug-20 11:06:43

And yes, it was rude, and I am usually much more measured in my responses. I have read some terrible character assassinations of public figures on GN and deported them.

Furret Thu 27-Aug-20 11:04:29

Let me put this to rest and set the record straight. I did not call someone on here a f*t s**b. I would never do that. I was referring to a public figure. Chinese whispers.

Doodledog Thu 27-Aug-20 11:00:40

I think that sometimes there is a slightly inaccurate response to an OP, and subsequent replies are in response to the inaccurate post. Even if the OP clarifies what she meant, once the inaccurate idea has taken hold there is no shifting it, as a lot of people only read the last post on a thread.

I think that is more likely than someone deliberately and maliciously manufacturing a post.

tickingbird Thu 27-Aug-20 10:42:10

What are you referring to, tickingbird? confused. You said something similar yesterday. I didn’t get it then either.

Maggiemaybe - it’s a strange phenomenon I’ve come across several times on GN. Someone will be discussing/debating on a thread and then someone else responds to something that HASN’T been said. It seems to be a deliberate tactic to get the upper hand or gain the moral high ground. The more charitable view is that a comment has been misinterpreted but on occasion that’s a stretch to be fair. Another common one is asking for details, links and examples. I find it tiresome. It’s akin to schoolchildren arguing in a playground - “prove it”!

A well respected and very measured member posted about this and also the practice of getting posts deleted tactically a few days ago. It’s often the same members too. Disagreeing with someone and then being accused of rudeness. It’s happened to me but I’ve seen it being directed at other GN’s several times.

Lisagran Thu 27-Aug-20 10:09:48

Oh, sorry to misunderstand, Chewbacca. I totally agree that it’s unacceptable.

Chewbacca Thu 27-Aug-20 09:59:01

A Gran on here called someone a “fat slob” Chewbacca? Seriously?!

No Lisagran, they did not. As I said, it doesn't matter who said it, or who it was about, it was calling anyone that, that I find unacceptable.

Callistemon Thu 27-Aug-20 09:56:21

Am I loony?
If you become hairy and howl
Only at full moon ?

jenpax Thu 27-Aug-20 09:55:23

I am fat ?and a slob (sometimes) but I would hate to be called that just because someone didn’t agree with my politics!

Lisagran Thu 27-Aug-20 09:49:09

A Gran on here called someone a “fat slob” Chewbacca? Seriously?! shock

Alexa Thu 27-Aug-20 09:47:27

I am sometimes a slob but am not fat.