Gransnet forums

Chat

To flush or not to flush - that is the question!

(174 Posts)
dontmindstayinghome Tue 25-Aug-20 17:46:22

My OH insists that he does not need to flush the toilet after every visit as he is saving water. He was delighted when United Utilities told us that we should continue whatever it is we are doing as our water consumption was very low compared to similar sized properties.

I think its absolutely disgusting and i'm always in a panic to check that the toilets are 'clean' if we get unexpected visitors.

After hearing the following expression from Martin Lewis:

"If its yellow let it mellow. If its brown flush it down".

I'm wondering, am I in the minority over this?
Honestly, we are not so short of money that the cost of flushing/not flushing the toilet will make a difference!

Mollygo Thu 03-Sep-20 17:02:07

I don’t want anyone to think we gave up. We now have an oval bucket which takes up less room so we can keep it inside the shower till we’ve finished. I just wish it wasn’t red!

MayBee70 Mon 31-Aug-20 15:05:03

Yes, I agree with jean. It’s one reason why I’m doing everything I can to avoid public toilets at the moment and we always put the lid down before flushing now even though there’s just the two of us and no one visits us.

PamelaJ1 Sat 29-Aug-20 14:55:40

Mollygo??.

jeanrobinson Sat 29-Aug-20 12:43:57

When using public loos, I suggest you put the lid down before flushing. That way you avoid spreading droplets of Corona virus in the air if the previous user had it. The same applies if a member of your household is affected.

sodapop Sat 29-Aug-20 12:34:03

Sorry Molly but that really made me laugh, we can but try grin

grumppa Sat 29-Aug-20 10:47:24

Impressed by all these efforts to save water, I have decided to do my bit too. I am reducing the amount of water I put in my whisky.

Maggiemaybe Fri 28-Aug-20 21:57:10

Well full marks for trying, Mollygo! grin

Mollygo Fri 28-Aug-20 20:54:11

We did try this a while back, recommended by a friend who, whilst approving of our hippos thought we could do more.
Organise your body.
Excrete before showering.
Place bucket in shower to collect cold water whilst waiting for it to warm up.
Shower (including shampoo) under warm water.
Pour water in bucket into toilet to flush away detritus.
So we tried.
First day-success.
Second day-success
Third day -success
Fourth day -success

5th day, DH knocked over the bucket, spilling the water, which went through the ceiling into the kitchen onto the microwave.
I know it was an accident but the wait for the ceiling to dry out, the cost of replastering and repainting and buying a new microwave totally spoilt the pleasure of saving the water!???

MissAdventure Fri 28-Aug-20 15:52:38

You could save the cold water that first comes out and use it elsewhere, if you felt so inclined.

Lewie Fri 28-Aug-20 15:43:11

Chewbacca "Turn the shower on when you're ready to step under the water"

If I did that I'd be frozen to the bone! It takes a good couple of minutes for our hot water to come through! shock

sarahanew Fri 28-Aug-20 15:42:02

I don't flush at home if unnecessary for economic and enviromental reasons. Different when you're in someone else's home though

Gransooz Fri 28-Aug-20 14:52:43

I’m not sure how many of these urine “cures” are just fiction but the Friends one apparently is:
“ Unfortunately, in the real world treating a jellyfish sting by urinating on it may actually cause someone in Monica's situation even more pain, rather than relief. Urine can actually aggravate the jellyfish's stingers into releasing more venom. This cure is, indeed, fiction.”
I thought I’d heard that and just looked it up. I think I’ll keep flushing wee down the loo - and yes, every time! ??

MerylStreep Thu 27-Aug-20 20:50:07

Ah, Mr yum yum. Thank you.

MissAdventure Thu 27-Aug-20 20:36:01

I just watched it.
It was Chandler. smile

MerylStreep Thu 27-Aug-20 20:34:14

Oopsadaisy
Was it ever established that it was Joey or Chandler ( Mr yum yum) can't remember.

Oopsadaisy4 Thu 27-Aug-20 20:02:42

Meryl as soon as I saw your first line about Jelly Fish I thought aah Friends!

MissAdventure Thu 27-Aug-20 19:42:33

The dirty bugger!
Hope he at least let you take them off first. grin

Chewbacca Thu 27-Aug-20 19:41:30

Citrus plants MissA!

Pee is also very good if you have a pair of leather hiking boots that need softening, to stop them rubbing and giving you blisters. My ex regularly used to offer to pee in my boots! hmm

MissAdventure Thu 27-Aug-20 18:52:22

It's good for plants, too.
I can't remember what it contains, but it's one of the nutrients they can be lacking.

MerylStreep Thu 27-Aug-20 18:51:02

It's good for jelly fish stings as well.
Any one remember Joey ( or was it Chandler) who had to pee on Monica when she got stung.

NanTheWiser Thu 27-Aug-20 18:27:52

Living alone, I don't flush after every wee, it does seem a waste of water when in all likelihood we could well be heading for a water shortage and rationing in times of drought.

Little factoid: urine is sterile when it leaves the body, and has been much valued through history for its various uses.

I remember reading T E Lawrence's 'Seven pillars of Wisdom' where he recounts how wounded Arab fighters would get a young boy to urinate on the wounds, and this was also Henry V111's surgeon Thomas Vicary's favoured method of wound treatment.

Urine was also used as a facial treatment in days gone by, being good for the skin. Indeed, if you suffer from dry, cracked heels, most of the balms such as Flexitol, contain urea derived from urine.

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2011/mar/10/unusual-uses-of-urine

So, urine has its uses, and shouldn't be thought of as 'disgusting'!

Chewbacca Thu 27-Aug-20 18:08:49

Fabulous video there MissA thanks for sharing that. Rather puts things into perspective doesn't it?

MissAdventure Thu 27-Aug-20 17:39:31

It was a nice video wasn't it? (Not that it's going to make an ounce of difference to the "flushers")

MerylStreep Thu 27-Aug-20 17:20:03

MissAdventure
Thank you so much for that. I liked the quote solutions won't come on a global level, they will come from people every time they turn on a tap
Amazing work going on in Namibia. Washing the waste water. Brilliant.

TrendyNannie6 Thu 27-Aug-20 17:11:03

Flush every time Day / Night, our toilets have got what we call wee button poo button short flush, long flush, and our toilet seats close afterwards automatically. We have a water meter too